How do you organize your floss?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

CountedCrossStitch4U

Re: How do you organize your floss?

Post by CountedCrossStitch4U »

I keep the floss for each project in a set of floss bags on two rings, like a looseleaf notebook. This way, for projects that have combined colors, I can have special bags just for the leftovers of the combined colors to use again. I mark each bag with the floss number, of course. For the bags of combined floss, I mark each color needed, how many strands, the symbol from the chart, and whether it is a full cross stitch (X) or half cross stitch (/).
Counted Cross Stitch 4U
The Counted Cross Stitch Enthusiast's Site
http://www.counted-cross-stitch-4u.com" target="_blank
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

It's great to see the stitchbows - I'd never seen them before! I knew they were "things for storing floss on" but had no idea what they looked like. :oops:

And another :oops: . Yesterday I received a pack of 10 new threads I ordered for my Floatilla HAED. I had (or so I thought) only 4 spare bobbins left. I wound 4 of the new skeins onto these bobbins and then spent about an hour looking through all my floss stash for duplicate bobbins, where I might have DMC 414 for instance, in my HAED box and also in my Trojan project bag, winding the floss off one onto the other and changing the number written on it to accommodate one of the new skeins. I got about 4 additional skeins done like that.

And then...... I looked in my stash cupboard properly and found 5 new bags of bobbins. Each bag contains 50. So I've got 250 spare bobbins sitting there while I waste half my evening recycling old ones. :doh: :oops:
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Fibreartist

Post by Fibreartist »

Has anyone heard of ezbobs? Some time ago I bought a whole bunch of these to put my thread in. Then because I couldn't see the colors clearly enuf (at the time) I put them all back on bobbins.
Well I have decided that this weekend I am going to re-ezbob all my threads and write the number on the top with a sharpie.
http://www.paradisetreasures.com/gadgets.html This link (if it works) shows what they look like open and closed.
Better than bobbins because no kinks and no dirt or dust to get on them. Can store them in the same containers used to store bobbins.
Great for specialty threads because they are protected.
People use them for bobbins for kuminomo (a type of Japanese fibre technique-I'm not familiar with).
You can also use them for leftover threads. Neat and clean.
I tried just about everything:
Loran system=tangled and dusty threads
Bags=slippery mess
Bobbins=best so far
Ez-bobs=best ever I hope.
chicksmama

Post by chicksmama »

The ezbobs are also used for yarn when crocheting or knitting when you have a project where you change colors in a row. I never thought of using them in cross stitching.

I put my thread in little clear plastic bags and put the thread # on a little sticky label and store them in an old tupperware container. Works good for me.

Linda
nikecam

Post by nikecam »

i had tried regular sewing machine bobbins in the past but there was no way to secure the ends and they didn't hold the full skein. however, looking back now, i'm thinking they would still be an excellent way to carry smaller amounts of thread for traveling projects as they came in a closing plastic box and they probably unwind any anyway. hmm...
April

Nora Corbett Winter Fairy, started Jan 2013
Family Reunion, Rosewood Manor, waiting on fabric
Granny

Post by Granny »

I may not be explaining well but to secure my sewing threads on my sewing machine bobbins I purchase the foam ear plugs from tool aisles and cut them in half or even quarters. Lay the end of the thread over the hole in the center and squish in the foam. This corrals the thread well. I use bobbins for carrying my thread for hand stitching projects in my quilting work. 4 will fit in a 35mm film canister.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
cinderella4282

Post by cinderella4282 »

I LOVE the Floss-A-Way bags. I have two master rings where all the DMC I own are kept. I then have smaller rings that I use to put the floss for a specific project.

I then have a project tote bag where I keep all the items associated with the project in the tote so I can quickly grab it if I want to take the project somewhere.
Fibreartist

Post by Fibreartist »

Well I'm revisiting this forum to see if Pedals found a system that is working for them and to also mention something new I just discovered:

http://www.annieskeepers.com" target="_blank

They are called Annie's Keepers and they work the same as putting your threads on a card, but much more organized. You store the threads like a hanging file and when you want to pull threads for a project you just unclick them from the storage rack and put them onto a project slide. Then the project slide slides into a needle holder, so you can match up your threads with your needles. Very cool. I just got them today and I'm going to convert my threads over tomorrow. :dance: Will let you all know how they work in practice. I've never heard of anyone else who uses these.
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I use stitchbows and A4 ring binders.

For the project I'm working on, if it's a kit with strands cut to length, I use a disk with holes drilled into it around the outer edges with numbers next to them to hold the strands separated.I use stitchbows and A4 ring binders.

For the project I'm working on, if it's a kit with strands cut to length, I use a disk with holes drilled into it around the outer edges with numbers next to them to hold the strands separated.
Myst..
blubel

Post by blubel »

another bobbin girl here, i use the floss bags when doing a large project. I also have a little tin with leftover thread from kits which always comes in handy (well you never know when your going to need thread for just a couple of stitches and it saves me cutting my bobbin- stingy i know)
W.I.P
Hockey Rivarly
Eeyores Bows
Anniversary sampler

To Stitch
Fuschias
Patchwork Owl
Woof Woof
With enough coffee
Do I look like a morning person
Fibreartist

Post by Fibreartist »

I have mine in that same Jammers car garage box which I got from USA Walmart. We can't get them at Canadian Walmarts. Dumb.
I am finding that the lid pops open sometimes when I am flipping it over to get a thread on the opposite side. I am worried all my bobbins will fall out. THAT is a pain when that happens. :doh:
Tia

Post by Tia »

This thread has prompted me to try Stitchbows for the first time. I like. :love: The only thing was sometimes the skein hid part of the number (if using the original number band on the bow as instructed). I didn't like that so I throw all the bands away and use DMC number stickers instead. I didn't want to write on the bows themselves.

It's going to take some time to switch over and I'll keep my unused empty bobbins for odd sized skeins. I can also eventually use an empty bobbin box for a project. I did buy one of the Stitch bow rolls for a project but I have several going at once.
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Tia wrote: I did buy one of the Stitch bow rolls for a project but I have several going at once.
Yeah! Another to give the bows a try.
For my projects, I bought a few extra binder pages. For little projects, I use the 1/2 sized pages, the ones that fit into the mini travel bag. I fill them up and throw the pages into my project bag. I like that the full size pages fold into eachother- I wish the little ones did too.
carolanne

Post by carolanne »

One of the problems I have with the Stitch Bows is once you've used some of the floss, it will no longer stay on the bow, and then something else has to be done. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Vega

Post by Vega »

Carolann, I had the same problem. I've ditched the bows and now slide the skein in the pocket just the way it comes from the store.

It does take a bit more patience because I have to use a pen to open the pocket up, then slide in the skein. Sometimes I have to use the end of the pen (non-ink end) to help slide it in. Then again, have to use the pen to open the pocket before sliding it out, or the little DMC tab slides off of the floss and sticks to the plastic.

I still like this way better than the bows though.
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I wrap it around the end

msufly

Post by msufly »

I use plastic bobbins in a plastic craft box too, organized by number. My mother in law bought me the DMC binder with bows & folder pages but I didn't like it. I'm using the same method my mom did - it's what I'm used to.
Kim

WIPs:
A Summer Ball - Sandy Littlejohns
Camelot Sampler - Teresa Wentzler
(And 14 more!)
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

:dance: I'm a bobbin girl, in a bobbin world, thread in plastic, it's fantastic! :roll:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Nanna2Five

Post by Nanna2Five »

I am using the floss away bags & rings, sorted by DMC numbers
Monica33

Post by Monica33 »

I like to pre-cut my thread before a project, so the bobbins and bows are no good for me. Bags and rings have been my saviour!

I use no name snack bags from the grocery store (I know, they are not acid free), a hole punch, and DMC rings. A separate ring for each colour group - greens, blues, etc., and each ring sorted by number. Separate rings also for overdyed flosses. The whole kit and kaboodle in a big plastic storage box. It took me two days to sort my stash, but now it is awesome! :dance:

And I also am saving money now that I know what I already have! :lol:
WIP

Kitten Reflections
Juin

Finished 2011

Cliffside Beacon
Percy Pig, Sophie Sheep & Clarissa Cow
Eastern Santa (rest done in 2010)
sundry Snow Charmer ornaments
redwork angel ornament

UFO (but not for much longer)

large Anchor birds sampler