How do you organize your floss?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kinley626

Re: How do you organize your floss?

Post by kinley626 »

I'll admit to the satisfaction I get from winding floss on a bobbin. DMC is bobbed and stored in plastic bobbin boxes. I keep my specialty threads in floss-away-bags which are stored by type (Gloriana, Waterlillies, Threadworx, Dinky Dyes, etc..) in lovely little cardboard boxes. I enjoy sorting and handling threads nearly as much as stitching.
Kinley Rose :rose:

WIP
Windswept (HAED)
French Country Kitchen Garden (Chatelaine)

A Place To Stitch
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

kinley626 wrote: I enjoy sorting and handling threads nearly as much as stitching.
Me too! :dance:
Fibreartist

Post by Fibreartist »

The thing I did like about the bobbins was that you could see all the colors really well and it looked really nice when they were all neatly in the boxes showing off the beautiful colors. Until the box falls down and they go flying everywhere! :doh: I won't miss that. That was just happening too often to justify using them anymore. :thinks:
LydiaZ

Post by LydiaZ »

This is so helpful to me as a newbie. So far I've only done kits. I've been trying to reteach myself cross stitching. I think I will try the plastic bobbins storage system when I start gathering a stash.
LydiaZ
Looking for a great project
Tarana

Post by Tarana »

I tried the floss bags. I really did. But I reverted to bobbinating for the DMC floss. I took an idea from someone on the T. Wentzler board a long time ago and created a central supply using 3 large plastic floss boxes.' All bobbinated DMC goes there in number order. My 'extras are in a separate box and only bobbinated when I actually have need for them. From the central supply box, I select out all the bobbins I need for the project and put into a small 6 inch long floss box and it goes into a large ziplock along with instructions, other supplies and project. When completed, floss goes back into the Central Supply.

Other types of floss, metallics and little supplies are kept in another plastic box in a series of ziplocks to keep them organized and clean until needed for a project.

This works for me because I don't buy non-DMC stuff unless needed for a specific project, so I don't really have much of a supply of alternative stuff.
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

Haven't given it much thought about organizing my floss since my to-do list is a long one with other projects. I've done it the only way I thought was easiest and at my finger tips in the craft stores, white cardboard floss cards of large quantities in a package then write the floss number on the card. I get my plastic box organizers from Harbor Freight for a couple of dollars. Now I'll be thinking of a how I can cut some out of thin plywood on the scroll saw and burn the numbers into each one then make my own organized boxes where each one fits in a slot. Looks like my list just got longer.
Leroy
fccs

Post by fccs »

Leroy_B wrote: Now I'll be thinking of a how I can cut some out of thin plywood on the scroll saw and burn the numbers into each one then make my own organized boxes where each one fits in a slot. Looks like my list just got longer.
Impressive...if you do it, please share pictures.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

I'd like to add one method I've seen to organize a collection of floss wound up on floss cards. The item belongs to my uncle that he made. It's a hassock used to rest your feet on and all upholstered with quilt he made. Lift the top on hinge and there's trays he stacked upon one another with hundreds of floss lined up from white right thru all numbers accordingly. Very well stacked and fits perfectly. On the very bottom tray is the accessories such as needles, scissors, Thread Heaven, seam ripper, books/catalogs.....you get the picture. It's on wheels so it moves easily. He's working on a Marilyn Monroe cross stitch and sets his feet up on the hassock as he works.
Last edited by Leroy_B on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leroy
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

fccs wrote:
Leroy_B wrote: Now I'll be thinking of a how I can cut some out of thin plywood on the scroll saw and burn the numbers into each one then make my own organized boxes where each one fits in a slot. Looks like my list just got longer.
Impressive...if you do it, please share pictures.
I will take pictures. My new wood shop is in the 2 car garage and being organized in process. Previous shop was in basement, just didn't work out for room. I just installed a wood stove and with temperatures in New England and the rest of the country at this time it takes a long time to warm up a large space. I'm looking forward to also doing detailed scroll work and building whirligigs of character, the fun stuff.
Leroy
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Leroy_B wrote:I'd like to add one method I've seen to organize a collection of floss wound up on floss cards. The item belongs to my uncle that he made. It's a hassock used to rest your feet on and all upholstered with quilt he made. Lift the top on hinge and there's trays he stacked upon one another with hundreds of floss lined up from white right thru all numbers accordingly. Very well stacked and fits perfectly. On the very bottom tray is the accessories such as needles, scissors, Thread Heaven, seam ripper, books/catalogs.....you get the picture. It's on wheels so it moves easily. He's working on a Marilyn Monroe cross stitch and sets his feet up on the hassock as he works.
hmm do work for hire?

Lol

I have searched and searched for a drawer unit to hold my floss away bags. I am using a redneck fixed alex drawer set and just used bossa wood to make organizers but am not 100% happy with this setup. I keep looking and looking for a better option. Lol
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Has anyone ever used Annie's Keeper? I was browsing Tumblr and came across this post: http://tmblr.co/Z5zgdx15jSJt6" target="_blank looks cool!
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

perftangel wrote:Has anyone ever used Annie's Keeper? I was browsing Tumblr and came across this post: http://tmblr.co/Z5zgdx15jSJt6" target="_blank" target="_blank looks cool!
I've seen those and think the idea behind them is brilliant. However the cost.. not so much! I'm giving some serious consideration to how I can mcgyver my own version of them... I don't think I would want to use them for the bulk of my floss though, but it would be a great way to store all those leftover cut lengths from completed projects, so that when I need a color I can use those first before cutting another length.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
hularac

Post by hularac »

I've received quite a lot of floss from friends and their friends ... some on bobbins, some in a big notebook with pages containing holes for each strand, and some loose. I didn't like the bobbins or the notebook pages because all of that floss had kinked from being wound or knotted through. So ... I settled very happily on the clear plastic envelopes, one for each color, on a large metal ring.

PS ... anyone looking for bobbins???
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

NeedleAndFork wrote:
perftangel wrote:Has anyone ever used Annie's Keeper? I was browsing Tumblr and came across this post: http://tmblr.co/Z5zgdx15jSJt6" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank looks cool!
I've seen those and think the idea behind them is brilliant. However the cost.. not so much! I'm giving some serious consideration to how I can mcgyver my own version of them... I don't think I would want to use them for the bulk of my floss though, but it would be a great way to store all those leftover cut lengths from completed projects, so that when I need a color I can use those first before cutting another length.
I know! If I hadn't already purchase 1,000 bobbins I would be all over this, but it's too late to change up my ways, and it's expensive. :(
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

perftangel wrote:
I know! If I hadn't already purchase 1,000 bobbins I would be all over this, but it's too late to change up my ways, and it's expensive. :(
I'm wondering if I can make something using the hanging parts from a filing system, and cutting rectangles from stencil plastic. Something to experiment with when I get around to it.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Anna114

Post by Anna114 »

I wind my DMC on bobbins and keep them in the plastic containers. The containers have from what number to what number. I inherited my mother's floss too so I have 6 plastic boxes. I also have the floss away bags with rings for the extra skeins and keep them in a plastic container. I've looked at those beautiful wooden boxes but they are more then I want to spend. Maybe when I retire to NH I will treat myself to one of those boxes :o

Anna

Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that's a real treat. Joanne Woodward
emc

Post by emc »

I organize my stitchery stuff the same as most...
1) Floss goes on bobbins, as soon as it is purchased. I made my own numbers because I have multiple skeins. Then filed in the plastic boxes in numerical order. I'm too embarrassed to say how many plastic boxes, I have.
2) Pearl cottons are in the same plastic boxes by number...all 5's, then 8's, then 12's. All filed in numerical order, of course! (sigh)
3) Metallic threads are filed the same way....plastic boxes...
4) Hand-dyed floss....the same way... by brand into plastic boxes. Same as silk thread.
5) Any odd thread goes into the final plastic box, along with winder, extra bobbins, threaders, needles and cases, etc.
6) Also, I keep 3 smaller boxes to put the threads being used for a project. Sometimes, you need a break from certain projects.

Here is where some would consider me anal, but it really helps... 20-years ago I started doing this. I typed up spreadsheets, cut to the size of the box, and listed everything within the box.... the #, even the name of the color. That way you can look at the top without even opening the box. Keep it on a disc or flash drive and you can update it for new colors.

6) Beads (all Mill Hill) are kept in a bead keeper...I cut off the top portion of the package and place it in with the beads. Plus, I write the # on the lid. The bead keeper kind of looks like how eggs are packaged and they are stackable. I haven't seen these sold for years, so I can't tell you where you can find them, sorry.
LadyGisburne

Post by LadyGisburne »

I wind my floss on bobbins and then sort them by numbers into Hemline bobbin boxes. I have got a complete set of DMC threads in their own boxes and quite a few Anchor threads that have their own boxes.

Since I've got quite a few kits I also have leftovers from them. If it is not DMC or Anchor floss I just keep the thread leftovers on the cardboard thread sorters and use them for smaller projects.

My metallic threads are bobbined up as well and for my Mill Hill Beads I've got some nice Hemline stackable bead containers.
WIP
Design Works - Joan Elliott's Spring Fairy
DMC - The Heliotrope Fairy
Dimensions Gold Collection - Fall Fairy
DMC - Floral ABC

Recently Finished
Jann Designs - George Harrison
Several smaller projects from different cross stitch magazines
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

I need to take some more time to read this carefully and see what everyone else has done. I've pretty much tried everything. I have floss cards, craft bags, craft boxes with bobbins, those little "stitch bow" things... I haven't found anything that I liked yet.

For my kits, I use generally those disposable bobbins.
Everything else sort of varies. I want to try this, though. My dad is going to order something from Harbor Freight for me- a plastic organiser with drawers and I'll just label them. Something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/40-bin-org ... 94375.html" target="_blank
That way I can have some floss on hand and I'll know what I have, and what I need. Else, I'll just stick to my mess of disposable bobbins in craft bags :lol:
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
flumpz

Post by flumpz »

I have been looking for a way to organise floss for years as I am really bad at keeping things in order and bobbins never felt right for me.

I keep checking back on this thread to find tips to help me out and have found lots of useful info - now, having settled on a system I thought I'd share! For my main stash I use little ziplock type bags with white panels to write on the floss details and I keep them on rings in numerical order. It's my own hashed together version of the flossaway system I guess just much cheaper! What I am really happy with though is what I came up with to keep my WIP in order!

My latest project is a Theresa Wentzler (I really must do an update for that!) and I knew if I wasn't organised I'd be in a right muddle so this is what I came up with for the kit I am doing...

Plastic file box/ring binder:

Contents - the whole project including metal board and small bobbin box fit inside:

I organised floss in pockets, the type used by card collectors, in numerical order - the mixed colours go in little bags in the bobbin box:

This has been by far the most organised I have ever been! I love having everything in the one file box and the mixed colours haven't been the nightmare I was dreading (there are a lot of them to keep track of!)

It's cheap and it works a treat! :)
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr Seuss