Opinions please!

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nicola Main

Opinions please!

Post by Nicola Main »

Hi guys! So I'm waiting on this kit arriving by Luca-S called 'The Autumn' (some of you may have seen on New Stashes and Acquisitions thread) and I was going to stitch it on 16 count white aida but couldn't find any. I framed up some antique white instead but have now since found a roll of white 16 count in my stash :doh: which do you think would be better for this design? Also any tips for stitching a large project? The design is 35 x 49cm so quite a big portrait which I'm not used to. I think once I've seen the chart and counted out the stitch count I may disregard my normal method and stitch from top left along rather than in the centre as I will need to roll the fabric round the frame as I progress. Any helpful tips would be gratefully appreciated xxx

Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Arianwen

Re: Opinions please!

Post by Arianwen »

Thats a beautiful piece!

Which do you have more of fabric wise? the white or the antique white? Is it a full coverage piece (including the white sections?) those would be the questions I would ask before making a final decision. It may also help when you see the chart.

If it is completely full coverage it will make little difference which you use, its just down to personal preference, is one piece of fabric softer than another etc

Regarding starting, it depends what you prefer. I prefer to start top left corner of a big project as much as I can. I always mark out the centre and then count to the sides, and the top to make sure I have enough room on the fabric. Sometimes I grid, sometimes I don't. Just make sure you count, double and triple check your counting. I find it easier to stitch this way than starting in the middle and working out.

I generally use q snaps so I put a bit of fleece between the clamps and the fabric to protect the stitches. It looks like you will be using a scroll frame so fleece is not necessary unless you want to. I'm also a fan of grime guards just to help keep everything a bit cleaner, and my peoject gets a clean pillowcase over/around it when I'm not actually stitching on it.

Good luck with your new project - I'll keep an eyeout for progress pictures!
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That's always the way, isn't it! :lol: As Arianwen says, as it's full coverage, it probably doesn't matter much between white and antique white. However, I'd be inclined to use white to make sure every bit of that icy coolness of the design comes through.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I'm also leaning towards the white, but I think it won't matter because it looks like full coverage. I almost always start all projects from the top left. And I also almost always grid my fabrics with water soluble pen. I started doing that when I began to work on afghans because it was the easiest way for me to plot the designs, I think. Then with HAEDs and other large projects, like some of the Teresa Wentzler designs, it made counting easier (even without gridding). I also do what Arianwen suggested about counting from the center after I have marked where I think the first stitch could go to double or triple check before I begin. I can't wait to watch this one develop!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thank you all! Yes it's full coverage and I have slightly more height in the antique white than the white (antique white is 70cm and white is 61cm) although I will have enough space for a border either way. I think I agree it is a 'cold' scene so the white might work better even though there is a similar colour to the antique white in the design too. Will change them round tomorrow. Kit coming from Moldova (bought from Hobbyjobby) so hoping it arrives soon!
Work in Progress
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That is a really beautiful wintery design and for that reason alone I would use the white. However it might depend on the actual stitch count as to which one you use. For such a large design I would grid with a water soluable pen as it helps to keep one on track in a large design.
I am looking forward to watching it come to life under your needle. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

Oh my gosh, this is a gorgeous design. I would probably stitch it on white but I do think either one would work.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

It's just arrived in the post! Have kitted up the white onto the frame now. Eight pages of chart! :shock: this is the biggest kit I'll have done I think it's going to take me years but it's so gorgeous I'm determined to get it finished.

Work in Progress
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A challenge, but a beautiful one - enjoy!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

It can be mind boggling, I know, but once you get started and see your progress, it won't seem a daunting task at all!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Happy stitching!
Lyudmila
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Good luck with that, Nicola.

The way I started my two current 18 page charts was to put in the centrelines, then the perimeter of the piece. Then I outlined the page I was going to work on, and gridded within that single page. I did the gridding with red fishing line, so I can pull it out.

The next question is how do you work? Think about it and work out where you'd be reaching across most, and most likely to wear out/make dirty first stitches were there. If right handed and hold the frame such your right elbow or forearm would rub on the bottom right corner, then start top left and work through the pages diagonally down towards the bottom right from there to minimize wear on the pages. That's the sort of thing I'd think about.

Otherwise, have fun with it!

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks everyone! Richard thank you for the tips! I will measure out the exact width and height of the stitch count then start top left (page 1) then right (page 2) then move down and do page 3 etc and roll the fabric round the frame as I go. It'll be on my Lowery stand so should be easy enough. Will just take it one page at a time! Going to start it very soon after I've done my Christmas card for the Exchange!
Work in Progress