Mobile phone or MP3 player pouch tutorial

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Kute Kitty

Post by Kute Kitty »

OK, this is something I've been working out how to do over the past two nights (I knew that insomnia had to be good for something) and have completed tonight. It's really easy and good fun :)

You will need:
Your completed cross stitch
Self-adhesive felt
Fabric for the back of the pouch
Pins - these will get adhesive on them and I actually threw mine away when I was done, so bear that in mind
Sewing needle and thread - as above, your sewing needle will get adhesive on it and may have to be disposed of when you finish.
Fabric scissors
Pencil
Ruler
Your phone or MP3 player

1 Wash and iron your cross stitch as you normally would to make sure it’s in pristine condition before you begin.

2 With the backing paper in place, cut the felt to the size of the cross stitch. The simplest way to do this is to lay the cross stitch on top of the felt and use your pencil and ruler to draw nice straight lines on the backing paper following the edges of your stitching

then cut it out with your scissors.

Believe me when I say it’s so much easier to cut the felt with the backing paper still attached!

3 Place your cross stitch face-down on the table. Trust me, it will avoid problems in a moment. Peel the backing paper off the felt (it’s a bit tricky to get started but once you’ve got your initial corner up it comes away easily).

Lay the sticky side of the felt on the back of the cross stitch and press gently to make sure it’s all stuck as it should.

See, if you had your cross stitch face-up, you might’ve just stuck the wrong side and that would be unfortunate!

4 Trim the edges of your stitching to make them nice and straight if needed

5 Cut out a piece of fabric for the back of the pouch at least the size of your stitching. You can use the discarded backing paper from the felt to measure the size and make sure it’s at least large enough.

6 Pin the stitching and back fabric together with wrong sides facing.

Sewing it together will be much easier if you pin it first. Once again, a mistake I have regretted making in the past! Don’t forget to leave an opening at the top of the stitching, which will become the top of the pouch, and make sure before you go further that your phone or MP3 player can fit easily into the pinned shape.

7 Sew the three sides shut. You’ll have to do this by hand. The adhesive on the felt will stick to your pins, and your needle, and made a bit of a mess of my sewing machine needle before I realised that hand sewing was going to be the way to go. Sew pretty close to the edge because otherwise you’re just going to have a gigantic seam inside the pouch, as well as possibly covering part of your beautiful cross stitch, and you won't have much space left for your phone or MP3. Just exercise a bit of common sense here.

8 If you’ve used a soft fabric like I did, you might want to consider sticking a strip of felt to the top edge of it to give it a little more stiffness. This is a matter of personal taste.

9 Trim away the excess back fabric. Be careful not to cut any of your stitches.

10 Turn the whole thing right side out (this might be a little tricky if you’ve gone for a smaller design, try using a knitting needle or chopstick or something similar to poke out the bottom corners and the rest will follow pretty naturally) and start showing off your funky new accessory!
WIPs:
Snow Princess and the Polar Bear HAED

Plans:
Twinkle twinkle cushion for nephew's third birthday (September 2015)
Man U crests for husband and brother-in-law

kell

Re: Mobile phone or MP3 player pouch tutorial

Post by kell »

That is so cute!
freelady

Post by freelady »

You are a star! My daughter was going to look on the market for a cover of some sort for our phones and now she won't need to bother. I have some pretty fabric that I will use, although I won't take time to do any cross stitch for them today.

But I can make a pair of pouches and have found some plastic bags of the right size that I will try to either sew or glue inside as well.

Thank you so much for the idea.
lwelizabeth

Post by lwelizabeth »

I saw this last night but was too tired to post but I wanted to. This is FABULOUS. I will definitely be giving this a try after the weekend (when did my weekends become so busy?); I really do need a pouch of some sort for my MP3 player. Pretty strong too as it still works perfectly after the number of times I've dropped it.. :shifty:
Current Projects:Majestic Eagle
Finished: See Hear Speak Love, Pooh 123
Blog: Speakin Up Now

Wake up every morning with the thought that something wonderful is about to happen.
Kute Kitty

Post by Kute Kitty »

Really hope it works out well for you both ladies, and I'm happy to have helped :)
WIPs:
Snow Princess and the Polar Bear HAED

Plans:
Twinkle twinkle cushion for nephew's third birthday (September 2015)
Man U crests for husband and brother-in-law

maggs

Post by maggs »

What a great idea. Will do for presents.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

love it!! i saved this thread to my favorites in my browswer so i can try it later!!!!! I think it will be a great project for me to learn sewing on!!
:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
AshleyO

Post by AshleyO »

Awesome idea! I need to make one for my phone!
Pengwenn

Post by Pengwenn »

This is a really cute and clever idea. I would consider adding a button clasp, zipper, or drawstring to the top for those of us more crafty than I am.
current project rotation:
Twilight Balloon Flight
The Accolade
Faces of Faery 89
Dad's Flower Pot
Like_Fine_VVine

Post by Like_Fine_VVine »

:applesauce: Very nice! Thanks for sharing :)
~~~~~~~ :toast: ~~~~~~~
WIPs
A Treasured Time
2010 Completed Projects

"Summer Breeze" - Paula Vaughn (Aug)
"Brighter Tomorrows" - Breast Cancer Awareness Sampler (Sep)
"Rooster" (Oct)
~~~~~~~ :toast: ~~~~~~~