Thread Gatherer Silk n' Colors

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

bolshiegirl

Thread Gatherer Silk n' Colors

Post by bolshiegirl »

Hi there

I'm about to start the Needleprint Beatrix Potter sampler and want to use Thread Gatherer Silk n' Colors threads for the first time. I'm a bit unsure about how to proceed with these threads - do I split them like ordinary DMC threads? The pattern calls for 2 strands in the needle.
Are there any special 'quirks' I should be aware of when using these threads? This is also the first time I will be using a hand-dyed thread which is variegated in colour. I believe the trick is to complete each cross as you go, instead of doing half-crosses then going back to complete them in the other direction?

Many thanks for any tips and helpful ideas! :)

Zeta xx
Slinky

Re: Thread Gatherer Silk n' Colors

Post by Slinky »

Hi there, you are quite right that you should split the silk just like DMC. I think it's broadly the same thickness so the silk can be substituted like-for-like. And yes, you should also complete both arms of each stitch before moving on to get the best effect. Try to cut lengths of silk which begin and end in the same colour, it makes for a smoother finish when you change threads.

Silk n Colours is a lovely silk - have fun using it!
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
bolshiegirl

Post by bolshiegirl »

Hi Everyone :D

I've been stitching away on the Needlepring Beatrix Potter sampler, using Thread Gatherer Silk n' Color floss in Cherry Wine on 32 ct linen. It's a lovely thread to use, but thicker than I'd anticipated. I'm using 2 strands, like I would with a DMC thread, but it's all looking quite chunky. Now I see, when I log onto the Thread Gatherer website, that they suggest using only 1 strand on fabric counts 28 and over.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? Any suggestions? I've completed 3 motifs and would prefer not to start over with 1 thread if possible! :(

Many thanks
Zeta xx
koko

Post by koko »

I used 2 strands of the Silk N Colors on my Strawberry Fields project and that was just fine. I stitched that on a 32 count Lugana and it had good coverage but it didn't feel bulky at all. Maybe you could try one strand on a piece of scrap fabric to see how it looks? I would be worried that the coverage wouldn't be good enough......
Kim

2011 Projects:

Current:
Floral Hand-Towels
Various Christmas Cards / Presents

Long-Term WIP's:
Chatelaine Hummingbird Mandala
Dunnotar Castle - 23,718 of 60,368 stitches