Floor Lamp...?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

CuriousKitty

Floor Lamp...?

Post by CuriousKitty »

So I belong to JoAnne's mailing list, and I have a 60% off coupon. While it unfortunately excludes sewing machines, I don't see any exclusions or brand exclusions that concern Floor Lamps.

So I thought to myself, "Well if it works, this would be a PERFECT time to get an expensive floor lamp for my cross stitching!"

Problem is, I don't have a clue what kind of lamp I should get. I have it narrowed down one that has an adjustable neck. There are seven kinds of adjustable necks online, and I'm hoping for a little bit of input on which one(s) I should take a closer look at.

I appreciate any and all input, thanks!

http://www.joann.com/lights/floor-lamps/" target="_blank
geekishly

Re: Floor Lamp...?

Post by geekishly »

I think what you should look at is what suits your stitching space best. The actual light that will come from any one of those will be virtually the same as they use the same bulbs. So it all comes down to the style of lamp that will work best with your space, budget and decor.

I did just notice that some of them are not the OttLite brand. No clue on the quality of those, but I do have a small OttLite "Tulip" lamp that I love. I managed to snag it last year from Michael's during a Thanksgiving Day sale for $18 when it normally goes for $60. I'm holding off for getting a floor lamp to see if there's any Black Friday/Thanksgiving Day sales on them.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

So OttLite is a popular one, and really nice then.

I use basically a whole couch when I stitch. Three cushions wide, I sit on the middle, right side has my pillows, left side has my stuff required, with my laptop on a wheelable table in front of me with movies/tv shows/music whichever. Whatever the lamp is, it can easily go to the right of the wheelable table.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I use a Daylight magnifier floor lamp which can also be a table lamp. It's got an led light so you don't have bulbs to worry about. You can get info from their website Daylight Floor lamps. I got it at AC Moore, a craft store like Joann's or Michael's with a 50% coupon and love it. If you do a search on the forum on either daylight lamps, ott lamps or magnifier lamps you will get more information and opinions than you can imagine. The key is figuring out what you need and how much you can spend. Coupons are great since they do make so many things affordable.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

I have had the OttLite with the magnifier for over a year and really like it. I too was lucky to get it on sale at Michaels. It just all comes down to personal preference and budget.
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
mechie

Post by mechie »

I've had this one for probably 5 years now and really like it. The neck on the lamp part is very easy to adjust to just about any position you need and, more important, it stays where you put it. The magnifier is adjustable, but you have to use a lot of force to actually move the neck. I stitch on the couch too and it works great over the back. I think I got mine on sale too.

mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
debupnorth

Post by debupnorth »

I've had an Ottlite floor model for several years & love it (along with a fold up portable). In my mind, the important thing is how readily can you get replacement bulb (if it uses bulbs)? The last time mine went bad, I had to search on-line for replacements - Michael's no longer carried that style. Suggestion - whatever you decide on, try to also get an extra bulb!
Deb

Currently stitching:
Twelve Days of Christmas, Vanessa-Ann Collection 1991
The Prairie Schooler annual Santa's 1984-2012
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have the Ultimate Floor Lamp -Antique Brass one and I have had it for a long time it is great and works with all I need. I use the magnifier and it is fantastic. I have never used the chart clamp as I have a separate stand that I made and I use that instead. But the lamp itself is great because you can adjust it just where you need it. The bulbs are a bit pricey but they last a long time so really it is worth it if you can afford the price.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Wow thanks for the input!

@ mechie,
That's the one I was starting to eye myself too. I'm just hoping the coupon is applicable to it. It would be a waste not to use this 60% off. I don't have anything else I'm pining for right now.
mechie

Post by mechie »

I hope you can get it with the coupon. I really do love my light. Another plus, I've had it for 5+ years and I think I've only changed the bulb maybe once (if at all, I can't really remember). I only use it for stitching, which helps, but the bulbs really do last for a long time.

mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

mechie wrote:I hope you can get it with the coupon. I really do love my light. Another plus, I've had it for 5+ years and I think I've only changed the bulb maybe once (if at all, I can't really remember). I only use it for stitching, which helps, but the bulbs really do last for a long time.

mechie
I plan on calling once it's Monday work hours and asking if it'll apply. I don't see 'OttLite' on the exclusions... The only possible areas of vagueness might be what counts as a 'sale' and 'regular price.' I work in retail and even *I'm* confused on whether or not it will apply.
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

The coupon will apply if it's not on 'sale'. I've had my ottlite for almost a year now and haven't had to change the bulb yet. But they had the bulbs on sale a few weeks back and I bought one to have on hand for whenever this one goes. Better to have it when I need it than have to wait until the next time I can get to the store after it burns out.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

geekishly wrote:The coupon will apply if it's not on 'sale'. I've had my ottlite for almost a year now and haven't had to change the bulb yet. But they had the bulbs on sale a few weeks back and I bought one to have on hand for whenever this one goes. Better to have it when I need it than have to wait until the next time I can get to the store after it burns out.
Thanks! I just called and asked for clarification, and yes, I can't use the coupon on something that is currently 1-100% off at the moment. Only full price... which kind of sucks because I'm hoping the Lamp goes back to full price before the coupon expires.

And I thought the coupons where I worked were wonky. @.@
Petar5

Post by Petar5 »

Do you use groupon.co.uk/ for buying any product
talenaya

Post by talenaya »

geekishly wrote: I did just notice that some of them are not the OttLite brand. No clue on the quality of those, but I do have a small OttLite "Tulip" lamp that I love. I managed to snag it last year from Michael's during a Thanksgiving Day sale for $18 when it normally goes for $60. I'm holding off for getting a floor lamp to see if there's any Black Friday/Thanksgiving Day sales on them.
I snagged a few myself last year. I also have this one. http://www.joann.com/ottlite-high-defin ... /prd11371/" target="_blank
I use it as a regular lamp and I haven't had to change out any of the light blubs yet.
:kitty:Victoria :kitty:

:wip:
HEAD: Nala