Help a beginner get the right look

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Flawed

Help a beginner get the right look

Post by Flawed »

Hi,

I have a bit of an obsession with crafts that use grid based patterns. I've done quite a few pixel hobby projects as well as quite a bit of square stitch bead weaving. I'm pretty much completely new to cross stitch. I tried it about a year ago, but I didn't finish my first project. I think this is because I didn't really like the look of my project . What I mean is that my project looked like a bunch of Xs and not an actual picture. However, I've been looking at some Crosstitch on the Internet and it looks much better than mine. Basically, you can't see the Xs until you get extremely close to the work.

I'm thinking the answer might be higher count Aida or more strands of floss , but I'd like to get some first-hand information on the subject. Can you suggest a specific combination of aida count and floss threads that would make the Xs relatively hard to see yet not be too difficult for a beginner? I really only enjoy doing patterns I make myself, so a rough estimate of how many stitches I could get per skein with that setup would be helpful as I won't be able to rely on prepackaged kits or patterns which tell you how many skeins to buy.

Any help is much appreciated and highly valued. Watching videos or reading articles simply doesn't replace communicating with people who've actually done it.
Allyn

Re: Help a beginner get the right look

Post by Allyn »

Welcome aboard! :whoop:

You're going to get different opinions on this, and that's okay. There is no 'right' way. Just take it all in and see what works for you.

You're talking about 'coverage' -- how well the thread covers the fabric. If you can see the Xs, you have less coverage than a piece that is completely covered, you can't see individual Xs and you can't see any of the background fabric. Using 2 threads of floss on 14 ct aida, you're going to see the Xs and you're going to see some peeks of the fabric. You can go up to 4 strands of floss on 14 ct to get good coverage or you can use two strands on 18 ct or 22 ct aida so you have good coverage. Be aware that changing the fabric count will change the size of the finished piece. That's not a bad thing; it's just something you need to be aware of and account for.

Scarlet Quince has some good tutorials: http://www.scarletquince.com/tutorials.php" target="_blank
Especially note the page talking about coverage: http://www.scarletquince.com/floss_coverage.php" target="_blank
That article also talks about blending, which you don't have to concern yourself with just yet, but do note the different examples of coverage.

When you see pieces done that look like paintings, they're probably done over one on 18 ct or 22 ct aida or on 25 ct, 28 ct or 32 count (or higher) evenweaves -- very tiny stitches on high-count fabric. As a beginner, you might want to tackle 18 ct aida first before you venture into evenweaves. Using evenweaves isn't 'hard,' but using aida first will let you get comfortable with the basics before you expand your horizons.

How many stitches per skein is a tough question to answer. There are too many variables to really pin it down. How many strands you use, the count of your fabric, and your stitching style all come into play. Danish style (make all the / before coming back to make the \) uses less floss than English style (completing each X as you go). English style uses about 9% more floss. How much thread you use to anchor your stitches at the beginning and the end also comes into play. One of the members here had a link to a chart that gave ranges for how many stitches in a skein. I can't find it right offhand, but if I'm not mistaken, it was something like 1000 to 2500 stitches per skein assuming 2 strands on 14 to 18 ct -- again, depending on the factors I already mentioned.

And as an example, this is two-over-one (two strands of floss over one fabric thread) on 18 ct aida:

And a closer look at the coverage:

It is my opinion (*other opinions may vary) that if you want it to look like a painting, 18 ct over one is the lowest count I'd consider suitable. And just an FYI, 22 ct aida is frequently listed as 22 ct hardanger so if you look for 22 ct, look for aida and hardanger. If you see 25 ct aida, that's a 25 ct evenweave and not really "aida" like you're thinking of aida.

WIP
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Oh! and one thing I forgot to mention: if you go to a higher count, you might need to get a thinner needle. Typically, a #24 needle is recommended for 14 ct aida. You might want to try a #26 or even a #28 needle if you go to a higher-count fabric. I use a #28 unless I'm using thick specialty threads.

WIP
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Excellent answer, Allyn, to which I'd only add: tension. One of the most difficult aspects of all hand stitching is getting your tension right. Since you've done some hardanger back in the day, you'll know the theory of laying a stitch over the cloth and only pulling when you mean to pull. It's the same for cross stitch, which is why I tend to cross as I go (English style, I've just learned; I didn't know it had a name!). You might find it easier to get your tension right by using a laying tool (these can be fancy, but basically a thick needle will do the job) and/or railroading your stitches (putting the needle down between the pairs of thread as you stitch). An excellent tutorial for using a laying tool can be found here: http://www.needlenthread.com/2010/11/ho ... video.html" target="_blank (Mary Corbet's site is good for most things; excellent videos; very more-ish).
Flawed

Post by Flawed »

This is the reason I love to go to forums. Great information. You even remembered needle size which I forgot about. I think 1,000 stitches per skein will be a good safe estimate to start with. However, I am going to try to locate a chart myself.

I guess my original post was unclear. I haven't done any embroidery at all. However, I have done some off loom bead weaving, so I know that tension can be very important. Once again, thanks for the info.

Now, I guess it's time to dive into all those links you provided and start designing my pattern. I'm pretty excited about that. 18 stitches per inch will be by far the highest "resolution" pattern I've ever done! :D
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I this this might be the chart that Allyn was referring to earlier..

http://home.comcast.net/~kathydyer/nf_x ... #floss_amt" target="_blank

It gives you a table to cross reference # of strands an fabric count. Of course this is not taking into account how much thread is used in starts and stops, and in carrying from one area of stitching to another, so you'll have to factor that in and get extra.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Hello I am not as experienced as others who have replied but I am currently dong 14 ct Aida with 3 strands of floss. Usually have 2 strands but find the 3 strand covers much nicer.

When you get your fabric would it be advantageous to stitch using 2, 3, & 4 or more threads for a few square inches to see which coverage you prefer. :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Flawed wrote:This is the reason I love to go to forums. Great information. You even remembered needle size which I forgot about. I think 1,000 stitches per skein will be a good safe estimate to start with. However, I am going to try to locate a chart myself.

I guess my original post was unclear. I haven't done any embroidery at all. However, I have done some off loom bead weaving, so I know that tension can be very important. Once again, thanks for the info.

Now, I guess it's time to dive into all those links you provided and start designing my pattern. I'm pretty excited about that. 18 stitches per inch will be by far the highest "resolution" pattern I've ever done! :D
No, my fault! must have been confusing you with another new member. :doh: Sorry!

@lavenderbee: many older designs called for three strands for 14 ct, and I've seen the same recently.
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Serinde, am doing Celtic cross for Easter cards. I recently bought a Celtic cross stitch book from a charity shop & this project is one of the charts. Have sorted out 2 sets of colours to see which set I prefer. It is good to find different ways of stitching isn't it? Last project was an owl using 2 threads for outer part & one strand for inner part, that was interesting too. I feel I am learning a lot recently & also picking up ideas from here. Proves you are never too old to learn :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Serinde wrote:... You might find it easier to get your tension right by using a laying tool (these can be fancy, but basically a thick needle will do the job) and/or railroading your stitches (putting the needle down between the pairs of thread as you stitch). ...
Good point. I use a trolley needle as a laying tool, and along with helping to make the stitches lay nice and flat, it also helps with tension. I can make the legs of the stitch 'taut' without distorting the fabric and then slip the laying tool out and draw the thread just that much more to lay the thread down on the fabric. The stitch ends up being 'firm', I get good coverage and the fabric holes aren't 'pulled.'
NeedleAndFork wrote:I this this might be the chart that Allyn was referring to earlier.. ...
That's not the one I was thinking of, but it works as well as any other. The one I remember seeing had a range of stitches for each count depending on how thrifty or extravagant you were with your floss.

WIP