confused, confused, confused....

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

pvest

confused, confused, confused....

Post by pvest »

Hi everyone and happy Monday!!

I am sorry if this question has been posted before but i looked and could not find it. However, I am very very confused! I have been doing cross stitching on and off all my life. My oldest daughter, who is 20, is having my first grandchild. I decided to cross stitch her a blanket for when she is born. I bought a Precious Moments cross stitching book from Joann Fabrics as well as the thread and blanket. However, after organizing my thread and getting everything set up I went to start it last night and now I am very very confused. I have not attempted to start my first stitch over not sure where to start.

My pattern says to find the middle by folding the blanket. Well, I am aware of how to find the middle. It then states to count down and to the left on the pattern and the blanket. Then in also states that from the center and counting down should be 88 threads and then go to the left should be 20 threads. Ok this is where I am confused! When I count down, by my counting it is 44 and going to the left is 10. I did some research and found out something very very new to me. To cross stitch on evenweave you have to break away from the traditional (as I know it) way of cross stitching. One block cross stitched is over two blocks. Odd for me but ok... However, according to the graph I would assume for it to work out as 88 threads going down and 20 threads going to the left to the starting point would mean that I count each block on the graph as two? Really, that is the only way I can get 88 threads and 20 threads. AND on the material it self, starting from the middle I would count two blocks as one right? is this right? If not, how do you could the blocks on the pattern and how do you count the material? Keep in mind this is a 30" x 30" 18ct evenweave charles craft infant receiving blanket.

I hope I am making myself clear but i have never heard of this way of cross stitching! I have either been doing some of my work wrong all my life or something....any help would be great and I am sorry if my question is not clear..I guess I would be considered a beginner again not knowing this :)

Have a great day!!!
rcperryls

Re: confused, confused, confused....

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! From what I could tell, you were right in your assumption that
pvest wrote: according to the graph I would assume for it to work out as 88 threads going down and 20 threads going to the left to the starting point would mean that I count each block on the graph as two? Really, that is the only way I can get 88 threads and 20 threads. AND on the material it self, starting from the middle I would count two blocks as one right? is this right?
. If you have stitched only on Aida cloth and never stitched on an evenweave this would be different. There is a post in our Glossarythat talks about 1 over 1, 2 over 2 etc. "The first # is the amount of floss that you need to use(suggestion) the second # is the number of threads that you go over to complete a full cross. One over two would be "one thread of floss stitched over two threads of material" Do you see anywhere in your instructions or information about stitching 2 over 2 or 3 over 2. For an 18 ct evenweave fabric that would be the equivalent to stitching on 9 count Aida, which would be large stitches but, depending on the design and not uncommon for baby afghans.
Here are some examples at 123Stitch: Sweet Animal Afghan. ABC Afghan.

I hope that you will stay with us and post pictures of your project as you stitch it. I have made quite a few afghans on Charles Craft 18ct afghan fabric and love them. I found that 2 strands of thread work fine when you are stitching over 1 thread, but prefer 3 strands when over 2. I would test this on a corner of your fabric to see what coverage you like best.

and Congratulations on expecting your first grandchild :stork:

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
pvest

Post by pvest »

Carole,

Thank you so much for your reply! I am here in Christiansburg VA so I am not far from you! I will post pictures if I even begin to start. So, I bought this book from Joann Fabric two years ago to cross stitch a design for my niece and her new baby but never even started anything. However, for my daughter and her new baby I do want to do this design. The main instrucctions in the front of the book states that use two thread for cross stitching unless indicated on the pattern you are using. On this blanket design, there is not any suggestions as to 2 over 2 or anything to that. The only think that I can see that suggest this is when it gives directions to begin stitching it says to find the center on the blanet and grid and count down and left on both and begin stitching. Then there is a little box beside that that shows an arrow going down 88 thds and over left 20 thds. When I did an internet search of what 88 thds means it brought up two over two stitching...this is how I discovered this stitching style.

What do you suggest I do? When counting the grid like normal it would only be 44 down and 10 left so I count each block by two? And on the material I count two blocks as one just like cross stitching 2 over 2? Is this correct? Do you suggest I use two or three threads? I am not seeing anything that suggests thread numbers or anything..Really, this Precious Moments Welcome Home BAby designs book is not really that informative with cross stitching. There are only two blanket designs in the book and both are the same direcctions with different color threads and design size.

What would you do if this were your design?

Thanks for your help :)
Pamela
pvest

Post by pvest »

I found an address in the book and went to the site ( http://www.gloria-pat.com/webpages/afghans.html" target="_blank ) and when doing an design on an afghans and it does suggest 2 over 2 and that one block on the design equals two on the material. So, I guess I could have saved myself much stress and frustrations if I went to the site...

Do you still suggest 3 over 2? would that make the design better?

Pamela
fccs

Post by fccs »

From the Gloria & Pat site: http://www.gloria-pat.com/webpages/afghans.html" target="_blank" target="_blank (This pretty much just repeats what Carole has said.)

If you've never stitched over two can have a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it (and it won't take long), it's super easy. When I stitch over two (as I usually do), the bottom leg of my x crossed on the vertical threads. If I am starting an x and it is crossing a horizontal thread, I know I have miscounted. You will soon get used to seeing one square on your chart and counting two threads on your fabric - it will just become second nature.

As for two or three strands of floss, it is a matter of taste. For coverage, I think three strands would be the minimum for the best result, but it really does come down to you and how you want it to look. Try a few stitches with two, three, and even four strands and see what you like.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
fccs

Post by fccs »

It looks like you found the same site I did, and we posted at almost the same time.
Last edited by fccs on Mon May 18, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Hello, welcome & congrats on the expected first grandchild. I have only stitched on evenweave once so I ma not able to give advice. Just wanted to say welcome & do not worry about asking anything as people on here are very friendly & patient. Good luck with the blanket.
Look forward to seeing photos when you get time :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I hate when books don't give accurate directions. It probably depends on how large of a design you want. What are the dimensions of the design? Can you tell from the picture of the afghan if it covers all of the fabric? If it does, then yes, I would stitch 2 or 3 over 2 and count every 2 threads in the fabric as 1. This is a good explanation of stitching over 2 and thisvideo tutorial , by one of our very own members (maemae)is very good and besides the video she refers you to several other sites with explanation. As to whether I would use 2 or 3 strands, it would depend on the coverage I want. Stitching over 2 on 18 ct would probably mean I would go with 3 strands because of the way I stitch (tension etc). Several of our members are a lot better explaining things than I am, but until one of them replies, if you have other questions, just ask.

Carole
:thinks:

eta: I knew there would be other responses for you. We aim to please!
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Welcome, and grats on the new grandbaby. :)

I couldn't offer better advice than what's already been given. I offer this, though, on stitching over-two and for doing afghans:

When you start your stitches on evenweave, start in the 'hole' above where the horizontal thread is on top and to the left of where the vertical thread is on top, like this:

And not in the hole below where the horizontal thread is on top, like this:

The reason being that in the not-so-good example, the threads of the fabric can't hold the stitch stable. The floss can (and will in something like an afghan that will be used and laundered) slide between the fabric threads and get lost in the fabric weave.

Also, when you anchor your tails, do an extra security loop, such as described in steps 3 through 5 here:
http://www.scarletquince.com/end_anchor.php" target="_blank
That'll keep the tail secure through the laundry.

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I just wanted to say Hi there :wave: and Welcome to the forum. I am so glad you have such expert help and I look forward to seeing your progress on what will be a wonderful heirloom for your first grand daughter. :applesauce: :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
pvest

Post by pvest »

WOW... Thank you all for the warm welcome and support!!!!

The pictures really help and I have decided that I will go with 3 over 2 because of the design and how I want it to look. I am very very nervous starting it but I think that all will work out for me...I will post pictures for sure!

This is my first time on here and I really appreciate all your advice. I am sure I will be asking for more :)

Everyone have a happy Thursday!

Pamela :whoop:
fccs

Post by fccs »

pvest wrote:WOW... Thank you all for the warm welcome and support!!!!

The pictures really help and I have decided that I will go with 3 over 2 because of the design and how I want it to look. I am very very nervous starting it but I think that all will work out for me...I will post pictures for sure!

This is my first time on here and I really appreciate all your advice. I am sure I will be asking for more :)

Everyone have a happy Thursday!

Pamela :whoop:
Just take your time until you get used to the over two counting - which really won't take long. I'm looking forward to seeing the design grow.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends