MH17

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

MH17

Post by Serinde »

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims as well as the family and friends of all those who lost their lives aboard MH17 last Thursday. While this is not the appropriate place to speculate on what caused the crash, we moderators felt it important to mark this tragedy, since we have members from all the countries affected by the loss of the airliner.

If there was an icon for a candle, I'd place it here.
Athalie

Re: MH17

Post by Athalie »

The horror of this tragedy is never far from my mind. Australia lost up to 37 innocent victims - a grandfather and his 3 grandchildren and another family of 5 included. Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who lost a family member or friend.
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

It's a horrific thing to happen and the victims, and their families and friends are in my thoughts and prayers
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

Thank you posting this. Thoughts and prayers for all those whose lives are forever changed.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

This is completely horrific for the victims and their families. There is an element of unbelievablity if you have a family member involved in this. In 1985 we received that horrible call that my father and stepmother had been in a Delta Airline plane crash in Dallas Texas. My stepmother died in the crash and my father was hospitalized for three months with numerous broken bones and burns. He was one of 26 out of @150 or 160 passengers who survived. I am telling this so if any of you need to talk about this and wonder how do you get through this please feel free to pm me. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their family members. My experience may have been nearly 30 years ago and we were lucky because my father lived, but I have not forgotten and have all the empathy possible for those effected today.

Carole
:hug:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Rose

Post by Rose »

A true tragedy for the lives that were lost by innocent people. Prayers for all affected. :pray: :pray:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

As more and more of the horror for the victims emerge on our news channel, my thoughts also go out to all those families who have lost loved ones.
:cry: A candle here from me also......
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

It's horrible, and all the more so with the war zone issues. I'm so sorry for the relatives, it's such an unbelievably horrible thing to happen.

Carole, that must have been horrendous, you are so brave.

Niki xxx

Edited at mods request.
Last edited by Fizzbw on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I worked in the aircraft interiors industry as a stress engineer for about 5 years and have very mixed feelings.

It is a tragedy, and I do feel compassion for the families of everyone on board. My thoughts and prayers go to them so they can rest easy and hopefully get the answers they need as soon as possible.
However, in some odd way, I feel relief too that this tragedy seems to have been caused by an external agency. Because if it were not, then how many more lives may be at risk daily by virtue of flying in Boeing 777's? There could have been more like this before the fleet were grounded, and who knows more deaths.

Some of the equipment I worked on has been on aircraft that had fatal crashes (including Delta, American Airlines, Aloha and KLM), and fortunately in all cases the equipment exceeded specification strength, though anyone involved always feels 'If only I'd suggested/done ... and that might have saved more lives.'. The guilt, justified or not, is there.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

That must be hard Richard, and I can understand the what if guilt even if you shouldn't feel it.

Sadly these things come in threes it seems to me, and we now have another plane missing, I hope to god there is a good solution to this one.

Nx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I too feel the horror of this happening and send my :wub: and :pray: to all those directly affected. An air crash at any time is bad enough but 10 times worse when it is an act of violence which has caused it. :rose:

Richard I can understand the almost immediate query which must come to your mind when there is an air crash and then the long wait for the findings to be released. The "what ifs" are surely hard to deal with at times. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

I've read that some of the bodies may never be found, and I really feel for the relatives of the victims in this tragedy. They must be going through unbearable anguish. Not only for losing a loved one, but for not knowing whether they will have them returned to them for burial or not. Because of that, they may not have closure.
My heart goes out to them all.

Another candle lit here.
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

Thoughts and prayers from me also. Working in the industry my heart sinks every time I hear about one of these events and I agree with Richard that it is in a strange way reassuring to know the cause of this crash, but I'm sure that is of very little comfort to the large number of people affected. A truly shocking disaster.

Rosemary
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Such a terrible tragedy. A colleague of one of our clients was killed in the MH17 crash - kind of brings it a little too close to home. :cry: :pray:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

poppy

Post by poppy »

I light a candle too and add my prayers for all affected. Words are hard to find in such circumstances...
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell