Almost a cyclone they said.

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Stitchinkitty

Almost a cyclone they said.

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Yesterday afternoon a storm system moved up Southern Queensland,turned into a supercell storm and hit.
I was out with a friend at Browns Plains shopping centre,rain hail and thunder.Got home about 6pm.Would not leave the shopping centre till then.
Trees down most of the way home.Hail the size of golfballs .
Fortunately for us the cell skirted the Ipswich area,but the CBD was hit.Mater hospital in lockdown as most of their windows had blown out,roads flooded houses unroofed.Railway lines flooded.
The scary part is knowing it it still Spring.Out wet/cyclone season isn't here yet.
The weatherman on the news likened it to a category 2-3 cyclone.
All we got according to DH was a bit of wind,and a sprinkle of rain.
They are predicting more for ton ight.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
kimkat_tkl

Re: Almost a cyclone they said.

Post by kimkat_tkl »

Pleased to report that I survived that freak of a storm reasonably unscathed. I had seen it coming on the radar, and flew out of work in an attempt to beat it home. Was just a street away when the rain started, so got absolutely drenched when I had to open the garage door and we lost power within 5 minutes of the rain starting. I was really concerned about the big gum tree we have at the back of our units as gums are notorious for being blown over however it was the smaller tree in the neighbour's yard which has crashed through the fence. Luckily the only thing it has damaged is the fence. 5 minutes up the road however one of the gums that lined the road beside the park has gone over damaging a car, house roof and bringing down powerlines, and 5 minutes further up the road again an apartment building lost it's roof almost entirely so I'm not really complaining about our fence.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: :applesauce: So glad to know you are both ok Marilyn and Tracy. All OK here - it was a non event for us. Yes we had a strong lovely cold wind and a bit of rain - a total of 1.8mm of rain in the gauge as the sky cleared.

Hope you are both able to get out and around and do what you need to today. Take care and who knows what is next. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Phew...just read about this on the news!!

I'm glad you all survived the hail and rain...it looked bad on the news channel, but then they always like to show the worst bits!!! :roll:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to you girls south of the equator Stay safe!!
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Glad you're all OK.
Never been that far south in Queensland, only visiting Cairns & up to Cape Trib in winter. The weather was calm (but wet, as befits a rainforest), but last visit we saw the results of a cyclone everywhere (Cyclone Yasi had made landfall 4 months before). The banana trees in particular had suffered as well as a number of native trees. During Yasi there had been 48" of rain in 48 hours at the same time. I was astonished at how little long term damage there was. Aussies seem a remarkably resilient bunch.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

So glad you are all unscathed. It's been all over the BBC news -- even your neighbours' lost roof, I suspect! :( We rarely get such bad weather, luckily, but how sad for you just when summer is around the corner and all the trees are in leaf. Amazing so few people were hurt.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

So glad that you are all okay :whoop: and made it through what the news said was one of the worst storms to hit Brisbane in years. The size of the hailstones was scary. Sounds like there wasn't a lot of warning either. Hopefully you won't see another one like this for years and years. I know what you mean about worrying about the gum trees falling. I have huge tall pine trees in my back yard and I worry about them falling. I saw what those can do during a hurricane and think that is one of life's experiences that I can do without.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Sounds very scary, so glad you are all relatively unscathed. Some of the trees you guys have can be so tall as well.

Hugs to all

Nxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Glad you are OK. Take care
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I have also heard from "mickat" and Katie and her partner are ok, not much damage up where they live and she was able to get home ok on Thursday night and her partner off to work and home again ok too.

The cooler weather and fresh wind/breeze is most welcome though after a very warm spell and one can get things done in relative comfort.

Richard, one has to be "resilient" to live anywhere in this big country. Nature is the ruler with weather extremes, fires started by lightening, etc. One goes with the flow and copes with whatever.

Serinde, sadly we have very few English trees up here, its predominantly evergreen trees and only 2 seasons - 'wet' which is summer and autumn and 'dry' which is winter and spring. Somehow we seem to have skipped spring and headed straight into the summer wet season. There was a brief storm a couple of weeks ago and we had 40.3mm of rain in a very short time.

The clean up is ongoing with lots of help and the army engineers were called in early yesterday to help get the main roads cleared of debris and get traffic moving again. Thankfully it is light at 4am so early starts are possible up here. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Sally is so right about us jumping Spring and going straight to mid Summer.
In the space of 8 days we had four inches of rain here.Our creek went from bone dry to a raging torrent.We are on two acres of thick rainforest,lots of tall trees which support each other.It's the single trees that are the danger,the tend to uproot in a storm.But we have an old Ironbark that is almost dead and we are watching it.If it snaps and falls it will fall down hill thank goodness.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Wow---that doesn't sound nice at all!! I'm glad you are all okay and I hope that cleanup will be quickly finished!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs