Help! Anchor colours...

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

debpeb

Help! Anchor colours...

Post by debpeb »

Hi, i've been an avid cross-stitcher for about 25 years and have quite a collection of Anchor threads. I usually don't have any problems with colours but i've just started a project, went to the faithful old cross stitch threads and got which colours I needed and started stitching. However, when I went to buy a second skein of a couple of threads I need to complete the project I notice Anchor have now changed the colours slightly...so I have got to now unpick the sections i've done to make sure they all match. Is this a regular thing these companies do? Does anyone have any idea how I can check what colours I have to see if my old threads tally with the new charts they have as i'm at a loss as to why they have done this? One colour is quite a difference in shade - a lot darker, the other is slightly deeper in colour meaning it will be noticeable if I do use the new colour. I'm so frustrated as i've never had this happen before :(
wendywombat

Re: Help! Anchor colours...

Post by wendywombat »

It happens sadly! Dye lots change. I, too have Anchor threads and what I've done when this happens is to 'tweed' 2 strands of the colours together, one old and one new. Not a perfect solution, I know, but unless you :ribbit: (unpick) the lot it's the only way! Perhaps you could just :ribbit: those areas where the colours are different and tweed those.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I also know how frustrating that can be. :tantrum: I know I should get all the colors at once for large projects, but I don't as I have a huge collection of DMC threads. I have rarely had the color change from old to new skeins, but I did have that happen on one large project which I have officially labeled a UFO until I decide what to do about it. Wendy's suggestion is the best one I could think of also. I hope this works out for you.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
debpeb

Post by debpeb »

Thank you. It's something I never thought of...that the company would change the colours. So frustrating to unpick all that work so thanks for the idea, might have to go for that option :)
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I feel you on this. I had to replace and add thread for a Dimensions kit. I used the cyberstitcher's conversion chart. Spent a small fortune on threads that are way off. There is no Anchor dealer in my immediate area. I ended up buying 2 to 3 shades either darker or lighter than the conversion # to get a match. Then I went to local hobby store and tried to match with DMC colors.

Good part I found some new colors that I love: Anchor 150 and 127. The best navy and dark purple to me.

Maybe I will be able to trade some of the threads colors I won't be using anytime soon. :wave:
tiathyme

Post by tiathyme »

I know DMC had to change a number of colours a few years back due to new environmental protection rules in the European Union. I think Anchor might've been in the same boat.

I imagine the companies would try to avoid colour changes if possible! They must know how irritating it is for stitchers. :)
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

Wendy's answer is by far the best. I have used the tweeding method a few times. My local stitching shop only holds Anchor threads so when I ran short of DMC I just found the nearest Anchor thread to it and tweeded. It doesn't show!!
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral