Use of Half Cross Stitch in a pattern? (Before I start)

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

ecology665

Use of Half Cross Stitch in a pattern? (Before I start)

Post by ecology665 »

I started the 'In the Garret' pattern by Paula Vaughan. I'm working on 'Antique White' Cashel Linen (32-Count). Some of the stitches are half-cross stitch using 1 strand. If I do this you will see the linen? Do you follow this to the tee? Or do you improvise? :wip: :wave:
LaughingDonuts

Re: Use of Half Cross Stitch in a pattern? (Before I start)

Post by LaughingDonuts »

I would follow it. It will probably be a subtle effect
WIP: "love" mini, Thomas Kinkade Christmas

2016 plans: My mother, my friend
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Yes, you'll see the linen. That's the point. Making half stitches with one strand is creating an effect -- kind of shading in the background. Knowing Paula Vaughan patterns, I'm guessing it's in the wallpaper or something you can see through the window -- something that is softly in the background.

Don't improvise. Trust the pattern.

WIP
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Yes, follow what it says & check on the stitching guide of your kit which way to do it. On my Dimensions Overlook Café a lot of it is done in half stitch & as others have said it adds depth to your project. On this it was from bottom left to top right as shown on the stitch guide with the chart. Also some on the water of the lake. Once the picture starts developing you can see how different the half cross stich with one strand makes it look. Overlook Café looks almost 3D, although not quite finished.

On Fragrant Tranquility the stone of the wall to the right are done in one strand - half cross going from bottom right to top left as shown on the stitching instructions with the kit. I have not done them that way before but it looks good.

When you look at chart picture supplied with the kit if you enlarge/magnify those sections of half crosses you may be able to see how it looks close up.

Both mine are on stitch-a-long as neither completed yet. Something else I've not done before - having 2 projects on the go at the same time, switching from one to the other every few weeks to ease the tedium. :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I agree with the others. I have done a lot of Paula Vaughn patterns (made an afghan from her garden designs for my daughter years ago) and there were a lot of half cross stitches and it really is amazing how much depth they can bring to a design. Don't forget to post photos of your progress. Looking forward to watching this one develop!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Ditto and likewise.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I don't know what happened. I posted a response a while ago! I am going to stick to the pattern. I'll take pictures soon almost finished with the stairs. I will be using the half stitch.

Thanks Everyone,

Avis :wub:
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

ecology665 wrote:I don't know what happened. I posted a response a while ago! I am going to stick to the pattern. I'll take pictures soon almost finished with the stairs. I will be using the half stitch.

Thanks Everyone,

Yes, pictures! We love to see pictures!

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Allyn wrote:
ecology665 wrote:I don't know what happened. I posted a response a while ago! I am going to stick to the pattern. I'll take pictures soon almost finished with the stairs. I will be using the half stitch.

Thanks Everyone,

Yes, pictures! We love to see pictures!
I absolutely agree!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I completed the stairs. Now I can see the effects of using the half stitch. :wink:

This is the back. For me this is good. Accepting advices on how to do better?

:thinks:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Like the effect of the half crosses!

As for your back, there are several camps in that discussion :-), ranging from those who want the back to look indistinguishable from the front, to those who don't care what the back looks like as long as the front looks good, to anything in between!

I try not to "travel" threads for too long a distance along the back, but if there is a single stitch in a colour some way off I sin against that anyway. My personal motto is "as long as the back doesn't interfere with the front (threads showing through, knots causing bumps) it's fine".
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Like the effect of the half crosses!

As for your back, there are several camps in that discussion :-), ranging from those who want the back to look indistinguishable from the front, to those who don't care what the back looks like as long as the front looks good, to anything in between!

I try not to "travel" threads for too long a distance along the back, but if there is a single stitch in a colour some way off I sin against that anyway. My personal motto is "as long as the back doesn't interfere with the front (threads showing through, knots causing bumps) it's fine".
Ditto! Great update!
When I was stitching afghans, I was much more concerned about the backs and looking back I am amazed at how good they look. Now I pretty much agree with Mabel's motto.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat