DMC Shade cards

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nicola Main

DMC Shade cards

Post by Nicola Main »

Does anyone own either the DMC Sample Cottons shade card or the Printed one? Are they any good? I would like to have one for future reference but would welcome your opinions on them before I decide xxx
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
kingfisher68(2)

Re: DMC Shade cards

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Bought an Anchor shade card when I first started cross stitching again 9 years ago as I first bought Anchor threads. I don't use it very often.

I now use DMC threads & have a shade charts in the back of a cross stitch book & only use that occasionally as I mostly stitch kits. Only started using charts other than for cards, a few years ago. Use the shade cards references in the book very occasionally but perhaps those who do a lot of charts or like to choose their colours use one more than I do :)
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I have the book with the actual thread samples. I use it all the time, especially if I'm using a kit. I always lay the provided thread against the sample to verify the color in case I need to buy more. I've never had a DMC thread not match. When the kit doesn't provide DMC threads, I use it make the closest match and mark the DMC # next to whatever designation the kit has given for a particular color. I've not ever used the paper color cards, so I don't know how accurate they are. Hope this helps a bit. Happy Stitching!
fccs

Post by fccs »

I have both and use them a lot. I highly recommend them. The one with the actual floss sample is the best for obvious reasons, but even the one with the pictures would be invaluable.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I have the DMC thread sample one.
Just need to use it. Bought it to create a sample based thread definition file for my chart creation program last December, but I've not got around to photographing it yet. Image

As it's got bits of the threads, you really cannot do better as a source.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I have one with the sample threads and use it all the time. I recommend it too . The only problem with mine is that it is old and doesn't have any of the new colours or the discontinued ones either. May be time for a new one.
Linda
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks everyone for your replies I've decided to treat myself to the thread sample card. Looking forward to it arriving! :whoop:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I had the DMC picture shade card and it was OK but I saw the actual sample card of a friends and it was So much better. I think you've made the right choice.
mags

Post by mags »

I've got the printed one which is great but not sure I would trust it for matching purposes - the actual thread one would be great for that.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
CarrieGF

Post by CarrieGF »

i have had the printed version for years abd used it quite alot. it got misplaced earlier this year and i really struggled matching colours, so i decided to invest in the sample version. so glad i did, i have sorted out the big messy bundle (my darling daughters bobbinated all my dmcs but never thought to lable the bobbins :oops: )
Kate at Lakeside Needlecraft has them quite reasonably priced.
hope that helps
Smile & the whole world smiles with you
Cry & you cry alone
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

I have been using for years the printed version of the card of DMC threads from Le Idee di Susanna magazine, and so far have never had any difficulties with identifying threads' numbers or finding the closest shade to the needed.
Lyudmila