Cross stitch kits from China

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

dalronix

Cross stitch kits from China

Post by dalronix »

The Chinese kits being advertised on eBay are hard to ignore because the prices are so affordable like this one which is AUD$20.00 including postage (about £12.50 or US$20.00 approx.):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120786669040 ... 1438.l2649" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I've seen similar kits to this and the many others on offer for two, three & four times that price in the US, UK and Australia.

This one is particularly tempting:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320759156524 ... 1438.l2649" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Has anyone had any experience in buying kits direct from China? Is the quality good? Enough floss etc.?

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend (it's a three day holiday weekend here in Australia on the east coast).

Ron.
~: Ron :~
Squirrel

Re: Cross stitch kits from China

Post by Squirrel »

Gosh that peacock is gorgeous, better not tell my friend down in Melbourne, she loves peacocks and already has enough on her plate she tells me with a new GS due soon.

The one of the poppies you like is certainly different and eye catching.

Holiday on Monday??? Must be NSW as I've not heard of anything up here. Enjoy it anyway.

Sally
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
dalronix

Post by dalronix »

Squirrel wrote:....Holiday on Monday??? Must be NSW as I've not heard of anything up here. Enjoy it anyway.

Sally
Yes, sorry, Sally. :( Just checked my diary and it's Labour Day holiday in NSW, SA & ACT only.

Ron.
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

I personally would not buy any kits from China because they blatantly ignore copyright laws. Also a few people on here have said that when they have bought Chinese kits the instructions have been in Chinese so then they end up trying to find the instructions from others members who have bought the "official" kits in English.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I bought a couple of kits from China a few years ago. Unfortunately the instructions are in Chinese (I assume it's Chinese anyway) and there seem to be quite a few instructions so I have no idea whether I'm doing them right. I've never seen the two kits anywhere else and have no idea what they're called or even what make they are so have no way of getting English instructions for them. Beautiful as the kits are I wouldn't buy from China again.
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I bought a kit from China, it was one I had searched and searched for. I've not stitched it yet, but it has English instructions and masses and masses of floss! The picture that shows what the result is is pretty dire though.

It was a bit of a nightmare getting it though, the lady sent it to my address in America first!!! Then when I questioned it she did send me a second one to my address in Wales!!

Niki x
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
dalronix

Post by dalronix »

Just found this thread and the kits come from China.

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=14297" target="_blank

So I think I'll give buying one a go.
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

You'll have to let us know how your experience is.. Personally I barely read the English instructions on kits.. But I'm cocky and think I know it all.. So the Chinese wouldn't scare me off either :wink:
Faith
debupnorth

Post by debupnorth »

Ooooh, I love the look of the "Poppies"!! The only thing I noticed in looking at the fabric that comes with the kit, is that it works out to only about 18 inches high (for those of us not on the metric system & if my calculations are correct). Taking into account needing something for the borders, what you're actually stitching doesn't seem to be a large as the picture makes it appear.

If you do order the Poppies, I would dearly love to see your progress on it! :)
Deb

Currently stitching:
Twelve Days of Christmas, Vanessa-Ann Collection 1991
The Prairie Schooler annual Santa's 1984-2012
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

Just got back from holiday or I would have answered before now, yes I agree some of the kits from China have been copied and we maybe should not buy them but some kits you cannot get here and if you want that one then you have to buy them. Having said all that you can see on the Stitch a long that Purple Flower has been done and now Pearl Lily is being done, I actually love these kits and bought three myself, one being the Watercolour Poppies which I have just started and will post in the Stitch a long soon, I can honestly say that the aida is very good and the threads are a dream to stitch with and I am a DMC fanatic! Also the pictures do look bigger on e.bay but it does say that these are pictures of paintings and they are huge and it does give the right size of the piece you stitch. I had no trouble ordering from e.bay and they came to me in U.K. within 8 days which surprised me? If anyone has any more questions please ask? Oh yes, the instructions, well the numbers and colours all matched up and number of threads to use all were in English.
Happy Stitching
Glen x
xstitch1

Post by xstitch1 »

never bought a kit from china and if you decide to buy from them, let us know of your experience :wink:
However, I would ask them if instructions are in english.
dalronix

Post by dalronix »

It's so hard to decide which one to get. The seller I have in mind on eBay has put up more of those large kits:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/wangjing20098/m ... ksid=p3686" target="_blank

I'll take my time deciding though because as my partner has put to me (quite diplomatically, of course) I have enough needlepoint and cross stitch kits now to see out what's left of my lifetime. :P

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Ron.
*barb*

Post by *barb* »

The print "watercolour poppies" is in my framers shop. It's a really lovely piece and I am stunned to see it as a cross stitch. It is a very nice piece, however I dont like it split in three like the cross stitch one. The watercolour print is one picture and looks so lovely. The day i saw it in the framers, i came home looking for poppy cross stitch kits :oops: Lucky I never found one I really liked so never did buy one.
Current WIP's

* forever friends - "garden swing"
* Dimensions Gold "Four Seasons kittens"
* Dimensions Matted Accents "Kitten and Butterfly"