18 count

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Solitaire

18 count

Post by Solitaire »

I keep finding kits where this is the count size of the Aida, is it really differcult to work with
Serinde

Re: 18 count

Post by Serinde »

Not at all. Aida of all sorts is a breeze. 18ct, being finer, makes for a nicer finish if you can't face 36ct (which is what the equivalent fabric would be in an evenweave or linen). It's also great for getting extra detail in without the whole design becoming hugely big.
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

Thanks, I have sewn 16 count which was a pain but it might have been the design, which was confusing
mags

Post by mags »

I think it depends on how your eyesight is, I find I need reading glasses now for 14 count, haven't tried 16 or 18 recently so cannot comment on that. Not sure I would be able to stitch on finer counts as I can't get on with magnifiers :(
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
CayenneCat

Post by CayenneCat »

I have to use a magnifier to stitch on 18 count, but I love how the designs turn out with the smaller stitches and how the colors seem to blend.

I'd say give it a try to see if you like.
CayenneCat

WIP:
HAED: Fireside Fairytales, Shiver Meow Timbers
Chatelaines: Serengeti, Deep Blue Sea, Spring Raffle
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

This is where is really miss not being able to go in to a craft shop and see things before I buy :cry:
Sandycheeks

Post by Sandycheeks »

I for the first time am going to start a project on 18 ct. How many threads do you guys use when working with 18 ct?
African Grey
Meg's Geisha Girl
debupnorth

Post by debupnorth »

I like using 2 threads when I've worked on 22 ct, also when working on 36 ct evenweaves. Plus, it makes it easier to start using the loop method! :lol:
Deb

Currently stitching:
Twelve Days of Christmas, Vanessa-Ann Collection 1991
The Prairie Schooler annual Santa's 1984-2012
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

All my current aida projects are on 18ct. I like it a lot and find that the smallness of the holes soon disappears as your eyes and needle gets used to it. I use two strands of thread.

If your eyesight isn't great then it might be harder, but if that is a real problem you can always swap the 18 ct fabric for 14 or 16 ct and just remember that the project will be bigger. It's worth trying though.

I do find, however, that 36 ct is a little frustrating to work with, I can't get the stitches to look as neat as I can on smaller counts. Just a personal foible no doubt.

Good luck, make sure you show us what you do!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Sandycheeks

Post by Sandycheeks »

I like being able to use even number of threads. I use the loop method to start a thread also. Just taught it to a friend of mine.
African Grey
Meg's Geisha Girl
Rose

Post by Rose »

I prefer the 14 count but 18 count is quite easy to work with. I do tend to need a magnifier to work with it though.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

The designs are all in kits, so unless I can find the pattern as a chart I will have to try the 18 count.
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

Or if you really don't think that you will get on with that fabric count you could swap out the fabric for something that you are more comfortable with and use a fabric calculator to get your dimensions right. One of the reason I hate kits is that you don't get to choose the fabric yourself - but at least this way you get to stitch the design you like on fabric you like.......
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
louisb1304

Post by louisb1304 »

I am currently using 18ct on my Mickey project. 2 over 1.

Its the first time i have used 18ct too and i prefer it much more than anything bigger. Like its been noted above, the stitches come out smaller and make colours blend so much better!

I imagine it can take some getting used to when you cant see the holes very well though
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Solitaire wrote:This is where is really miss not being able to go in to a craft shop and see things before I buy :cry:

I find the same! The craft shops here are few and far between! :( :doh: There's one near me at Villeneuve-sur-Lot but THE PRICES!!! :shock: :shock: EEEkk!

SO! I buy from the UK Sew&sew are my favourites. I've found that even with postage floss and fabrics are cheaper than here...although I do like some of the linens I found in Toulouse! :drool: I have succumbed to some remnants. :wink:
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

Nothing where I live wendy and I agree with the prices, I needed 2 skeins to finish a project last year and it was cheaper to order from the UK even with the postage, amazing when you consider DMC is made in France :shock: