Confessions of a Cross Stitcher

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

YoungStitcher

Re: Confessions of a Cross Stitcher

Post by YoungStitcher »

I don't care back the back of piece... who is going to see it?!?

I also lick my threads to help get them through the needle

For smaller pieces I use PVA glue to strengthen them and to stop them fraying.

Use beads instead of french knots... because I can't do french knots. lol
Current WIP
Arise on the Wings of Your Dreams
Twilight Bridge
Nativity Scene

Finished Projects
Lily :whoop: Santa's Flight :whoop: Pirate Queen :whoop: Scotland Map
agi

Post by agi »

I also love this thread, and I do most of the things you have mentioned, licking the thread, hoarding, keeping things in the hoop/frame, serial starting... But I know now that I am in great company :D

I have digressed a lot lately, did lot of crochet, knitting, crazy quilting, other embroidery but when it comes to being stressed or tired, I HAVE TO do some cross stitching. It is perfect for emptying my head (well, it is almost empty, anyway :lol:).

As to stash addiction - don't complain, count it as a blessing. I haven't had too much money to buy stash lately, most of my new acquisitions are either gifts or cheap finds in second-hand shops and flea-markets. But I still can do lots of different projects because I have my stash. Actually I quite enjoy the creative challenge of making things from only what I have at home. And it will give me the best excuse to buy lots of more when I finally can. :lol: :lol:

There is one confession I have to make that I think nobody mentioned yet. I sometimes look at my stash, consider a piece of fabric for a piece, than decide: no, this is too pretty to use for that. For example, I have hardly used any of the lovely hand-died fabrics I have because I want to keep them for a "better project". :D
Have you ever done this?
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

benceagi wrote:I have hardly used any of the lovely hand-died fabrics I have because I want to keep them for a "better project". :D
Have you ever done this?
yup! Until I come to my senses and realise that they are there to be used :-)

Think of it this way -- if you use it and then a project comes up that needs that fabric too, you will just have to buy another piece... :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I do the exact same thing with fabric and threads Agi! In fact just this week I was dithering over whether to stitch my most recent small on hand dyed or a natural (boring and safe!) linen - this time I bit the bullet and stitched on the hand dyed. Mabel - what you said is so true, beautiful stash is there not just to be admired and fondled but to be used, I must try and remember that!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

benceagi wrote:I also love this thread, and I do most of the things you have mentioned, licking the thread, hoarding, keeping things in the hoop/frame, serial starting... But I know now that I am in great company :D

There is one confession I have to make that I think nobody mentioned yet. I sometimes look at my stash, consider a piece of fabric for a piece, than decide: no, this is too pretty to use for that. For example, I have hardly used any of the lovely hand-died fabrics I have because I want to keep them for a "better project". :D
Have you ever done this?

Funny how much alike we all are! :D Guess that's what make this Forum so Good! :dance:

Oh yes, Agi....I can relate to you saying that you save a special piece for a 'better project'
:wink:

Now I'm wondering...all my projects are special in some way, so I'd better have another look at those pieces of lovely fabric!
Heather

Post by Heather »

I put my bank account into serious overdrawn-ness ordering threads and charts from PayPal. Slowly, it is on its way back to normal but all my extra money is going to that so I won't be able to buy new stitchy things until later this summer.

I turn down social invitations because I've planned on stitching all weekend.

I like to just take my bobbined DMC collection out and look at it

I also rebobbinate my threads when I'm using a bunch for a pattern and they begin to look untidy
WIP:
Universe In A Jar (HAED) 07/08/12
Finishes:
Sunflower Bee (HAED)
sillypants124

Post by sillypants124 »

Oooh I like confession time and I do have a few that have not been mentioned and I may be alienated by some after this.

1. I am obsessed with neat backs. If I see another better than mine, I try to perfect my own.

2. When I receive a cross stitch as a gift that has been framed, I un-frame it and look at the back and check to see if it is to my standards. Then reframe the stitched piece in what I want.

3. If I make a mistake I unpick everything to fix it. I cannot have mistakes that I know are in a project.

4. I can find a needle in a haystack after dropping it.

5. I do not like get together group stitching events, for I always make someone cry and try to take control of other people’s projects that I neglect mine... oops!

6. I stitch everywhere I go. Even in the movies to get my fix.

7. I take forever designing for exchanges.

8. I love beads and try to incorporate them in EVERY project.

9. I have to be a better stitcher than my closest friends. My boyfriend just started stitching and he is getting pretty good so I had to work on the “Tree of Stitches” to show him he will NEVER surpass me in stitching HAHAHA!!!

10. I have to keep learning new stitching techniques.

11. No one sits in my stitching spot or I do go all Sheldon on them.

If you have not noticed yet I have control issues and I am very competitive which leads to a deadly cross stitching obsession :twisted: MWAHAHA!!

Oh and lastly I too lick my threads :lol: .

Whew, boy do I ever feel better... Who wants cake?!?! Anybody, anybody...
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Brandon, I'd be terrified to send you a gift now. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not that NEAT and obsessed, but I am sure I'd die of envy over your work if you're that careful with it! :shock:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
helbel

Post by helbel »

Rose wrote:I don't understand why people get so crazy about their scissors
Until recently I just used my penknife scissors, but I bought some expensive ones (£15) at a show. and Oh My Word, the pointy sharpness! Makes frogging much easier and each snip of a thread a joy.

My confessions:
1. I can go for months without stitching and then get annoyed at myself for the time I wasted.

2. I have more stash than I will ever stitch but will still buy more.

3. I 'liberated' my dad's extendable magnetic pen as my lost needle hunter. I did offer to send it back, but really I'm the only person that uses it.

4. I leave things in hoops, frames, qsnaps for years without loosening the tension.

5. I do not wrap my hoops in ribbon (though I probably should)

6. I do sometimes think of social occasions as lost stitching time.
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

I have read all through this thread and I have one thing to say
Hooray! Im normal.
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
sillypants124

Post by sillypants124 »

Haha It's ok Luara, I do like recieving cross stitch gifts and I just want to make sure the project is not lumpy so when I reframe the piece I don't have to use a mat. I have framed the reverse side of the project because it looked pretty cool. Kind of like avant gaurd cross stitch lol. my backs are not perfect but I do obsess over it to try and get it pretty close. Some projects I start caring and then I don't but as long as you can tell what it's suppose to be by looking at the reverse side then I am very pleased lol.
efhawks

Post by efhawks »

LastingAllure wrote:1. I will stay up until the wee hours of the morning, usually once I hear someone stirring I will quickly and quietly run off to my room and they will think I wasn't up that late.

2. I hate when its my turn to cook! I just wanna stitch

3. I am like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory, I get completely lost when someone is sitting in MY spot. I can't find anywhere comfortable to sit and stitch since I am used to the lighting in that one area and I can manage to spread all of my colors out on the seat beside me and there is the perfect height table beside me for my Ott Lamp.

4. I am really bad for starting and never finishing projects, but I think I am getting better since I have managed to finish 3 WIPs so far this year.

5. I am a sucker for projects with Krienik and beads...I love the sparkles.
HAHA! I hate it when my husband sits in "my spot" He's learned though...he'll be sitting down and I'll walk over looking lost and confused and now instead of asking what's wrong he jumps up and moves.

Other confessions...I too couldn't care less about the back of my work. I just don't get it.

I leave my work in my hoop

I don't cut my floss in half. I feel like I'm accomplishing more with the longer threads and have gotten really good at undoing knots

I hoard crafts in general...I currently have 2 cross stitch kits, 3 self-created cross stitch patterns, 1 crocheted baby blanket and 1 knitted sweater for myself in the works

I don't lose needles and had a favorite needle that I used for everything. My sister lost yesterday and I got really really irrationally mad at her! :x I seriously had that needle for like 5 years! (not even exaggerating) :cry:
Always keep your words soft and sweet, in case you have to eat them.

If you take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Erica
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

Oh goodness, I relate to so many of these.

I always use a needle threader except for when using beading needles.

I try to keep my backs as neat as possible, but I'm not overly obsessive over it. My mom doesn't believe me that there are people who have neater backsides to their stitching as she thinks mine are incredibly neat. She used to cross-stitch and a large amount of my stash was inherited from her as her eyesight is just too bad to stitch any more.

I have a different pair of scissors for each thing - ginghers for regular floss, peacock scissors for metallics / back-up if I misplace my ginghers, a pair of inexpensive but sharp embroidery scissors from hobby lobby for cutting cloth, a pair of small scissors for cutting masking tape, a pair of "everything" scissors that I use for cutting paper and cutting through cloth that has been backed with fusible backing. Which leads into...

I use masking tape around my edges. I tried using fray check, but that makes my arms itch when used in a hoop. Also, using the tap allows me to use another piece of tape to attach my projects to my frame. It's much easier than having to take the frame apart in order to switch pieces as I only have one frame at the moment.

When working on bookmarks, I always mark increments of 5 on the sides of the masking tape to cut down on counting. I use a hole scaler from darice which I use to make these marks and I also use it when cutting cloth for small projects so that I can have some space at the edges of the project, but with minimal wasted cloth since 98% of my small projects aren't framed and thus don't need excess cloth.

I keep anti-bac hand gel in my stitchy spot so that my hands can always be clean. I also have wet wipes that I keep nearby in case my hands are sticky. I don't wash my pieces unless they're either on something that will be washed frequently (towel, hanky, etc...) or I've used soluble/waste canvas.

I leave things on the hoop or frame when I'm not stitching unless I know I'm setting it aside for an unknown amount of time or I need the hoop/frame.

I use the same needle over and over until it gets lost. I've never broken one.

I keep my stash very organized so I can always find what I want quickly.

I can't stitch in silence. But I hate stitching in other people's noise. I like control over the noises I am hearing. Listening to music is not enough though. It doesn't occupy enough of my brain. I need to watch something or listen to an audiobook. I need to be able to multitask while stitching or I just feel bored.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
Angel

Post by Angel »

I don't actually need all the cross stitch magazines I have accumulated, I will never stich something from them all But I love them and can never throw them away and it would break my heart to rip the charts I want to use out and get rid of the rest despite how much space it saves.

I am secretly pleased when Chris reads this forum although I hope he does not see that post :P

I pay no attention to what size needle the pattern calls for and will always use the smallest one I can find. I was using a tiny beading needle for one thing until I lost it, now I can't get my beads over my tapestry needle eyes >_<

I have a large collection of things I must stitch but when it comes down to choosing something to actually work on...I never have a thing to stitch!
ComaStitch

Post by ComaStitch »

I'll join in!

1. I'm worried my projects will build up so much I'll be forced to give them away!
2. I always tie knots, never use the loop method.
3. I hate HAE designs... :P
Mary C

Post by Mary C »

Glad to know I am normal, too!

My confession would be that I have never washed a finished piece but I ALWAYS wash my hands before stitching.

I also lick my thread and I have a couple of pieces that are 20 years old and they haven't discolored yet!
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

Vicki, I am always giving away my finished projects as gifts. It's so much more personal than a gift card or some random thing I could pick up at the store.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
Angel

Post by Angel »

I agree. Wouldn't it be great if you could build up enough worked pieces that you never have to buy another preent again?
claire81

Post by claire81 »

I have filled my sons toy cupboard in his bedroom full of charts, new kits old bits of threads etc

My threads start off neat at the start of the kit but end up in the biggest tangle, and I am quite happy working with them in this mess.

The back looks a complete mess

If I make a mistake and I think I can cover it it I wont bother to correct it.

If I have ever made a huge mistake I have been known to hide it in the cupboard for months and start a new project.

I have so many started projects I don't know if I will ever finish them all!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I have probably done, or am doing, everything confessed to so far. It's a relief to know I'm in such good company.

I've been doing a fair amount of research lately on 15-16th century needlework, and a nagging question formed in my mind: WHO EXACTLY MADE ALL THESE RULES?? You know, the "start in the centre", "work from the top down", "don't take threads over distances on the back", "no knots", "stitches are only formed 'this' way"... because professional embroiderers were doing all these things (and probably worse) in the Elizabethan period, and you can bet that your average household linen was stitched much the same way. I have it on good authority that Anglo-Saxon gold work "technique" in modern terms was atrocious. Which didn't stop it being absolute objects of desire at the time, and bought by anyone with any dosh.

So, who made these rules? Well, perhaps "made" is too strong; try "codified". The friends we love to hate, of course: the Victorians! :doh: Stop feeling guilty, stitchers! :dance: