Gloriana Florimell

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

nachosmiley

Gloriana Florimell

Post by nachosmiley »

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the difference between this and standard gloriana silk is? Also is it worth the money and does anyone know anywhere in the UK or europe where I can buy these from? They are called for in my next Chat. and the only places I can find that stock them are in the USA. Now I only need three but the prices for shipping on some of the sites are extortionate putting the total to way over the import limit :cry:

I don't want to have to pay the stupid import duty and the £8.50 handling charge for three skeins of floss so I was wondering if normal glorianas would be fine to sub for these?
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Re: Gloriana Florimell

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I contacted sew and so a few months ago about that thread. At the time they said they could get it in at £4.50 a skein. I don't know what the difference is as I've never seen it in the flesh - but it is a 7 strand thread of hand dyed soie d'alger. Martina says that the colour and variegation is more or less the same as normal Gloriana stranded silk but the fibre itself is of a higher quality and sheen.
HTH!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Glad you asked the question Nacho as the Chatelaine I've decided to do first requires Gloriana Florimell silks and I've had the same job as you in tracking them down. Thanks for the info Mrs MBK :applesauce: :thumbsup: . At least we know that Sew and so can get hold of them if we decide to go for them :dance:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Nacho, I'd be happy to pick up what you need next time I'm at my LNS and send them to you. To me, Florimell is just a bit smoother and silkier than the regular Gloriana silk floss. Not sure technically what the difference is though...
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Oooooo Jo what Chat are you starting with? I'm trying to remember which ones you bought and which ones use Florimell - Serengeti or Herbularius? I'm definitely buying Herbularius before the class finishes in July and have already started working out possible conversions. For selfish reasons I hope it's Herbie!

If you ever come across a thread you can't source in the UK it is always worth emailing Sew and So - they are amazing and will do their best to get the item in for you.
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Alice (Aury TM)

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I too read the Florimell is a Soie d'Alger -- I'm surprised to hear it's smoother than Gloriana's regular silk floss as I think that must be one of the softest I know (not the shiniest, but definitely the softest), and I have used other Soie d'Alger (both the regular stuff and Chameleon Thread's hand-dyed ones) :thinks: :thinks: May have to order a skein just to find out....
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Mrs MBK, it is Herbularius :dance: .
I've been going through the list of threads trying to decide how much silk to sub for DMC. It's going to have to be quite a bit, otherwise I won't be able to do the one Chatelaine I'm going to start, never mind the other two I've bought and the other 3 parts to accompany Herbie (which I wil HAVE to buy, of course :lol: )

Did you sub any silks for DMC in your CGM? If so, how much and with what. Sorry for all the questions, but it turned out looking so beautiful and you are therefore obviously the person to ask :thumbsup: :stars:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

Mrs Milkybar Kid

Jo - CGM was stitched entirely in DMC, aside from the metallic, two rayon threads and two #12 anchor perles to replace DD silk perle and Glo PPP. I know of at least one other stitcher that is stitching Herbularius with DMC, her blog is here. TBH looking at the materials list for this Chat - the Glorianas used are not very varigated at all and it is the Glorianas that really hike up the cost of kitting any Chat! I've done a thread comparison for Herbularius and personally I think I will be subbing all the Glorianas and NPIs (which are solid silks anyway) for DMC and keep in the DDs (they are my faves and I have alot already), Waterlillies, Wildflower and GAST wool. The cost for the Glorianas in this design alone are over £100, so swapping them out reduces the cost a lot! I'm going to say something possibly a bit controversial but TBH as much as I love stitching with silks, once a piece is framed and on your wall behind glass you can't really tell the difference between silk and cotton. The difference is in the actual stitching, silk is a dream (IMHO) to stitch with, the thread glides through the fabric. However I want to stitch more Chatelaines, so I am happy to compromise where I can if it means I can stitch more of these beauties. There are some stitchers that will say a Chatelaine only looks good stitched in silks - bet you can guess my opinion on that @rotfl: ! If you have anymore questions or doubts, I'm always around here somewhere so feel free to PM me.
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Alice (Aury TM)

jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Thanks Mrs MBK, you're a star :stars: . I would never have though that your CGM was mostly DMC and you're so right, once you get all the beads and metallics on and it's behind glass, who's going to know that they're cotton or silk. Like you, I'm willing to sub it all for DMC where possible so that I can afford to stitch more of them. :D
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

Mabel Figworthy

Mrs Milkybar Kid wrote:TBH as much as I love stitching with silks, once a piece is framed and on your wall behind glass you can't really tell the difference between silk and cotton. The difference is in the actual stitching.
So true, DH sometimes asks me why I am using silk as he can't tell the difference, and I say "because I can tell the difference when using it" :-)

PS I would exclude flat silks from this statement -- you could not use anything else for flat silks and still get the same effect -- and I do think there is a visible difference between Gloriana PP/PPP and cotton perles, but for most stranded silks I would say the joy is in using them, not necessarily in seeing them.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Hmmm, I emailed Sew and So and they have sent me a reply saying they won't source the Florimell "as it takes so long to come in from the suppliers. I am sorry I do not know of any other stockists in the UK".....not a very helpful answer :doh:

Dana if you would be willing to pick up the three skeins I need I would be very grateful....the design I am intending to use this on is the Arabian walled garden which has lots of differing threads to make it 'touchable'....I was hoping to maybe frame it without glass so that it is just that...'touchable'! In which case I think I should stick with the materials that Martina has intended.

Oh! I have another question too regarding perle thread.....what is the difference betwen a 600d and a 1000d perle.....I'm very inexperienced with these so I really don't know. In my materials list it calls for 600d dinky dyes perle but in the key it states 1000d dinky dyes perle, I have asked the question on the Chatelaine forum but the one lady that replied said she used 600d and it looks good.....but she didn't explain what the difference between them was. I'm guessing that one is thicker than the other, but which is the thicker thread?
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Weird about Sew and So!

The difference between the perles is basically the thickness and weight of the thread - 600d (denier) is about the equivalent of a #12 perle and 1000d is about the equivalent of to a #8 perle (the thicker of the two).
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Alice (Aury TM)

Mabel Figworthy

That's right; they also do a 1900 denier which is equivalent to a #5 perle.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Thanks for the information, can I pick your brains a wee bit more re: perles?

Do you think that a 1000d perle would be too thick to use for full crosses over two on 28cnt laguna?

I'm thinking I would like to use the thicker perle to make my wall that bit more 3d but I'm worried it may be too much....what do you experienced perle users think?
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

nachosmiley wrote:
Dana if you would be willing to pick up the three skeins I need I would be very grateful....

Answered your PM Sam...

I'd be more than happy to do that for anyone who is struggling with the cost of threads. My LNS has an extremely good selection of everything except Vandani... They aren't the cheapest prices but I think that when you figure in what you'll save in postage, it works out ok.

Another option is an eBay seller that I buy most of my threads other than DMC from. Her eBay seller ID is Michigandoctor and her prices can't be beat. Not sure if or what she charges to send Internationally but she only charges $2 to ship stuff to me. We could perhaps order from her, have her send to me and then I ship to y'all too...
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Mabel Figworthy

Dana, that is just cruel -- I've just had a look at Michigandoctor's threads and I can hear my budget protesting!

Nachosmily, I've used a perle similar to a #8 for cross stitch -- my Papillon Serendipity was done in it, and that was on 28ct over two:

It has a more 3D feel than floss, but was quite easy to work. But if in doubt, just stitch a little sample!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Dana, that is just cruel -- I've just had a look at Michigandoctor's threads and I can hear my budget.
I know, right? And you can buy less than the number of skeins in her listings, you just have to email her directly and tell her what you want and she'll send you a Paypal invoice... She is awesome!
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS

Chatelaine
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

Lalalalalala not listening especially not with my chat wishlist

*though am bookmarking this for the future*
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

I emailed Margaret (Michigandoctor) and she said there is no set price for the shipping. She weighs the order and charges only the actual shipping, it is usually $3 to $5 to the UK unless it's a very large order. Again, I can't recommend her highly enough, I always receive my orders within just a few days. Of course it will take a bit longer for International shipping... :)
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS

Chatelaine
Mabel Figworthy

Have contacted her!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)