a snowman to dress?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Amanda G

a snowman to dress?

Post by Amanda G »

Could anyone give me an expert stitchers opinion on an idea I'm currently working on please? It's a snowman that would be stitched on aida, then stretched across a canvas, with a choice of plastic canvas clothes with magnets attached to the back. A corresponding magnet on the back of the snowman.
There's a birthday calendar in the latest WOCS that uses magnets and a parcel for something similar.
I've put it on my blog where it may make more sense.....possibly :lol:
I'd love your feedback on this please. It may be an unworkable idea but then I'm asking the right group of people who will know!
Thank you all :)
wendywombat

Re: a snowman to dress?

Post by wendywombat »

Our Rose is the EXpert on :snowman: !! She knows All about Snowmen! :D

But for my 4pennoth I'd like a Top hat and scarf!
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Maybe you could do a mix and match background as well? E.g. different styles of house/cottage, trees, flowers, animals, etc.? People could tailor their own scenes to resemble their house/garden (or that of their loved one if they stitch it as a gift). Just a thought. :thinks:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Rose

Post by Rose »

Not sure how it would work to stitch but anything with a snowman is awesome. I like the idea of having a back ground piece and then add thing on with magnets like the snowman, clothes maybe a couple different things like a house, tree, snowfort, snowballs maybe some animals to play around the snowman. It could be like a snowman paper doll style of things. Ok maybe I am getting a bit carried away with the snowman thing but you put an idea in my mind and I ran with it.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

I like the idea of having different things to add. A bit like the felt sets that I remember as a child, can't remember the name, you built up a scene with felt shapes. Maybe I'll stitch up a simple snowman and see how it works with magnets on clothes as a starter and then add more if it works.
Thank you for all of your feedback once again. :applesauce:
willow

Post by willow »

Was it fuzzy felt? :D
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

or instead of magnets use velcro strips - less bulky that way.

Sounds fascinating Amanda. :D :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

sounds like an awesome idea - great fun!!!
Myst..
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

Yes!! Fuzzy felt......that's it! Awww.... :wub: Excuse me while I have a little nostalgic moment....
I like the Velcro idea Sally. I think I'll do a test and try out both magnets and Velcro to see how they work.
I'm also working on a dress-the-doll idea....I think the Velcro would work well for that as I can give the doll a Velcro band as part of her underclothes. I am sitting here with brain cogs turning....thank you all for your suggestions :)
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

Love the idea and also the dress the doll. I think that velcro could be a problem though because if the top piece is not placed exactly on the receiving piece underneath the stitching could end up being rubbed and become tatty.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Does someone make little magnet buttons? That way you could put them down the front of the snowman and the back side of the clothes. Small, like the diameter of a pencil eraser. But a button so it can be sewn on.. not just glued.

I could see making these for my niece- either a snowman to dress, or a paper doll design.. all out of plastic canvas just for sturdy-ness with little fingers (shes just turned 2)