Signing your work?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

Signing your work?

Post by Angel »

I really haven't been very active on here for a while, I know. I don't even know why, I used to live on here, now I seem to spend most of my time elsewhere. I don't even know why. Absent-mindedness I guess.

Anyway, I believe I've asked you all about signing your work before and the problems I've been facing with signing my own work. Which to re-cap my legal name and the name everybody knows me by are completely different. Making signing my work with one or the other imperfect. And signing with both is bulky.

Well I've finally found my signature, it's only taken me nearly two years to come up with it! In the end I gave up on the alphabet entirely! I still don't know if I should be signing Angel or not, so yesterday I was staring at a picture of an Angel when I thought to ask my husband if he had a copy of the enochian alphabet...Which is the language of the angels as told by John Dees in the 16th century. It's obscure, it has it's own alphabet, it does not matter which name I sign with, no one will know what it says anyway! So I went with Angel. I now sign my work AG using the Enochian letters Un and Ged. Enochian isn't really easy to translate into straight lines though, it's all flowy and curvey, but I got lucky, Un is mostly angles and Ged was pretty simple. I'm really proud of how it turned out and to test it I made a small Angel picture to see how it works.

Picture is in true ratio, now I have no idea what to do with my pretty angel :P
Mary Kay

Re: Signing your work?

Post by Mary Kay »

That's such a neat and unique way to sign your work. I like it!
Blog

WIP - Magic Dragon (freebie chart)
WIP - Why Not!
WIP - A Whole Lotta Latte
WIP - Old Witch Mary
Angel

Post by Angel »

Not to mention being an overly complicated method to solve what really is a none problem :P lol But I like it at least. I've drawn and re-drawn so many different variations using English alphabets and symols my brain was starting to go numb, but lately Enochian has been the subject of conversation in our house (mostly because I got Chris watching Supernatural and they actually use Enochian in that, which is endless props to them!) so I thought why not have a go? So glad I tried it. First time I drew it properly I was in love with it! Had to change it a little when I stitched it, but now I'm VERY happy.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Love it
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I have no idea what enochian is, but it's a great idea and looks lovely. Well done!

Nice to see you back as well :)

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

very suitable :-) -- congratulations on finding the signature that you're happy with!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
mags

Post by mags »

That looks good Angel :D
I keep meaning to change my initials to something a bit more obscure but then I don't always sign my work. :thinks:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Angel

Post by Angel »

When Mary Tudor was on the throne a man by the name of John Dees became obsessed with finding the meaning of life and began to attempt making contact with the angels, to commune with god. Sometime around Mary and Elizabeths reign he succeeded with making contact with something. They claimed to be Angels and dictated a strange, unheard language to him that is both primal and barbaric, while being hauntingly beautiful. No idea if they were angels though as during Elizabeth's reign they had him commit sins in their name and ultimately destroyed him through his own actions. But the strange language they dictated to him was called Enochian. It is a full and comprehensive language not only with it's own alphabet but with unique and distinct syntaxes and everything. Historians say Dees wasn't a linguist, he didn't have the knowledge or ability to create the language, nor did his associates. They don't know where the language came from, there's nothing else like it, but if Dees is to be believed it is the language not only of Angels, but the language of Heaven, it is the language god uses to communicate and it is the language Adam and Eve spoke before they fell from grace. To know Enochian is to have all the secrets of heaven revealed.

It's a wonderful mystery and a beautiful language! But...one virtually no one has heard of unless they study the period (The angels told Dees and his friend how to create the philosophers stone. His friend apparently did create it, became hugely famous and then got killed for refusing to use it, plus the pope issued an order for the assassination of Dees and the other man, and Dees had the gumption to tell one of the most powerful men in the Holy Roman Empire that he was possessed by the devil...other mans name was kelley btw) or a study of the occult (Angelic language, Crowley also got his hands on it so it's in a fair bit of satanism as well). That said, you've probably heard it before, the vocals in Dantes inferno (game) are all enochian

I'm glad to be back. I really don't know why I've been away for so long!

I plan on signing all my work from now on. I never meant for the signature to be obscure though. I actually wanted something clear, but...eh, Enochian works for me. Language of Angels or Demons I don't care, it's soooo pretty! Pretty to look at too...
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Very beautiful signature, and thank you for the explanation of Enochian, I'd never heard of it either.
starshine123102

Post by starshine123102 »

Beautiful choice for a signature!! :applesauce: :applesauce:

I LOVE Tudor England, but I've never heard of Enochian before. You learn something new everyday! :D
Michelle
:ratherbe:

2016 FINISHES:
All Hallows Eve (Glendon Place)
Delightful Fruits - Grapes (CSN 3/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Apples
Delightful Fruits - Berries (CSN 5/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Pears

2017 WIP:
Christmas House
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thanking you ^_^

If you are interested in the end of the tudor line I strongly suggest looking up John Dees and Kelley because they were major players during Elizabeths days and were somewhat well known during Marys. They're quite a fascinating duo and a fair bit of royal goings on revolved around them. Even a couple of stays in the tower :P I love learning new things ^_^
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Very pretty signature and very interesting information. I have read a fair amount, both fiction and non fiction about the Tudors and have certainly heard of Dr. Dees ( I thought he was Elizabeth's astrologist?) but didn't know any of that other information or ever heard of that language. It does make a lovely signature though. And I'm glad it brought you back here. Sounds like you are doing well!

Carole
:wub:
Last edited by rcperryls on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Angel

Post by Angel »

Yes, which is how he ended up in the tower the first time around. Elizabeth asked him to cast her and Marys fortune. He told her that Marys reign would be short lived and she would ascend to the throne. Mary threw him in the tower for summoning magic against her :P It was after his release that he got obsessed with finding greater knowledge and consequently got in with Kelley and the the angels. :P Then he was exiled from England, and from there made claims about that king being possessed by the devil, then he was exiled again from whichever country it was he had taken refuge in. Then he made claims about the philosophers stone and was allowed back into that country, then Elizabeth wanted him back... Poor Dees, in over his head.

I'm doing fantastically well thank you. I've got a job now, you'll never guess where. It's a dream come true though :P
calico

Post by calico »

Very interesting and very beautiful signature! :tantrum:
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
Point Pelee

Post by Point Pelee »

Thank you for educating me! I love your obscure signature; so different and unique.

Good to have you back!

Regards,

Sandra
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thanks, god to be back
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:wave: Hallo, Angel! How lovely to have you around again. Love the signature -- very special.

SO. What's the job, then? G'wan you can tell us... :silenced:
mechie

Post by mechie »

Welcome back, Angel!

I love your signature! Very unique! I've always just used my initials since my name is too long to use, especially on small designs.

mechie
(oh, and thanks for the history lesson. That's a story I'd never heard before)
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
Angel

Post by Angel »

...Heaven...

Otherwise known as Wye needlecraft in bakewell
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: What a great place to work (unless you end up owing more money at the end of the week than you make :oops: ). Surrounded by beautiful stash everywhere you look. Do you get to stitch also? Great photo of your workplace and I guess that the next is a picture of Angel in Heaven??? (was that supposed to be a photo pun?) You both look great!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker