Are CXC threads a good buy?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

elephantsneverforget

Are CXC threads a good buy?

Post by elephantsneverforget »

I am starting my first proper cross stitch, but rather than buying a set I've opted to get everything seperately. I have found a source of CXC threads that are approx. 15p per 8.7yard skein, vs the minimum of 39p I could find for DMC threads, but am slightly concerned that they may be much lower quality. Apparantly they're the premium brand in China and are used in France and other places, but I was wondering if anyone has ever used them or has heard anything regarding their quality? Or knows of a source of DMC skeins at a similar sort of price?

Thanks.
rcperryls

Re: Are CXC threads a good buy?

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! and welcome to the world of stitching! I'm afraid I can't help you with your question, as I'd never heard of CXC until you asked this question. If someone here has ever used this thread I'm sure they will reply. I'm always a bit leery of a cross stitch supply that doesn't seem to be sold by any of the major online cross stitch suppliers or in the big box craft stores. A web search showed that it is made in China and they have some gorgeous needlework, but I have no idea if that is the brand used. I stick to DMC myself unless I'm using specialty threads. I would think the best bargains would be on eBay. Also remember that if you are using a chart which uses DMC threads, you will need to find a conversion table so that you are using the right colors.

I hope that once you start stitching you will post pictures for us to see your progress. Ask as many questions as you need to. Someone here will either know the answer or know where to go to find it.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

Welcome to the forum from Virginia! I too am sorry that I can not help you with your question, but I wanted to say hi. :wave:
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Welcome to the forum from Italy :wave:
I used to buy a cheaper kind of thread here in Italy that required a conversion. DMC in Europe, especially in Italy is way more expensive, around 1,6Euro a skein :shock:
The brand was Ispe and the quality was actually good but the colors did not quite convert right and if you are going to work on a rather big project I would stick with the original DMC.
As mentioned you can try ebay or craiglist, there are great deal out there.
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

I googled CXC floss and found an ebay site selling them and the following comment posted regarding the floss
For the price....it's great. No, the quality of the material is far inferior and it doesn't have the silky finish of DMC or anchor, and is a thinner, rougher fibre altogether. Having said that, the colours are fantastic! They are really very good indeed. The bright tones ARE bright and glorious and the more muted varieties are lovely and natural looking. I have yet to see if they will wash well or if they are more prone to knotting, but if I find any serious let downs, I will edit this review. I think for the money,they're pretty good especially if you're using them for crafts that need quantities of nice coloured threads like bracelets. I'm a cross stitcher, and I think they will come in well for making small cards. Having a great range of colours for greetings cards is a bonus and the quality of finish not quite so important. They won't be washed either. I will keep these threads for use in this type of project. I would suggest that if you're going to take on a large important piece of stitching which you want to frame, wash, expose to light or keep as an heirloom piece, it's always going to be worth spending the extra and going for the top stuff.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I had cxc threads in my first kit. Never heard of them since, or at least not until today.

To be honest, I was so new to cross stitch that I have no idea if there was any significant difference at all. Possibly they weren't as silky and left a bit of coloured dust occasionally when pulling a thread through fast, but you learn not to. I think knotting was more of a problem, but that might have been my inexperience.
The kit as completed, 300 x 250 (59000 stitches):

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

I think you already have your answer - it sounds as if it will do the job, but not be as good as DMC. Mind you, I manage to knot my DMC threads occasionally anyway!

Although not as cheap as CXC Happy Cross Stitcher does cheap DMC.

I always think that in terms of entertainment per hour stitching, even with luxury materials, is so much cheaper than the cinema, or even buying/renting a DVD. It only becomes an expensive hobby when you start amassing stash, which is really a totally different matter and goes in the collecting category of hobbies.

I bought a Lowery stand for £60 or so secondhand. I have used it for perhaps a thousand hours - so that is 6p/hour and falling. My Koi, with all the fabric and having it specially charted might, just might have cost as much as £100 although I think it was probably much less (I am using fabric and some threads from stash so I can't price it accurately). If we said 100 stitches an hour, that would be 324 hours -ie approx 30p/hour.

So overall I would be hard pressed to make it cost 40p/hour. That is NOTHING. A tiny proportion of my discretionary spend, and believe me, I am not rich!

So I would say, don't scrimp by buying cheap materials. Its a risk not worth taking. Stop buying chocolate, or buy one less bottle of wine a week or make any number of other savings. I'm not saying you have to splurge out on the most expensive, from the most expensive sites, but just put it in perspective and balance it against other pleasures. If necessary save for a few weeks, or buy your thread in batches and take the hit on postage.

Also before you embark on your project take a look at the cost of framing!! Now that is eyewatering! I am looking at ways of reducing that cost at the moment!

[Of course this assumes that you only buy the materials and equipment you need, from good value sources, and you finish a project before you start on the next.]
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Ruthi wrote:I think you already have your answer - it sounds as if it will do the job, but not be as good as DMC. Mind you, I manage to knot my DMC threads occasionally anyway!

Although not as cheap as CXC Happy Cross Stitcher does cheap DMC.

So I would say, don't scrimp by buying cheap materials. Its a risk not worth taking. Stop buying chocolate, or buy one less bottle of wine a week or make any number of other savings. I'm not saying you have to splurge out on the most expensive, from the most expensive sites, but just put it in perspective and balance it against other pleasures. If necessary save for a few weeks, or buy your thread in batches and take the hit on postage.

Also before you embark on your project take a look at the cost of framing!! Now that is eyewatering! I am looking at ways of reducing that cost at the moment!

[Of course this assumes that you only buy the materials and equipment you need, from good value sources, and you finish a project before you start on the next.]

I have to echo Ruthi. Cross stitching doesn't have to be rushed...it's meant to be enjoyed. Part of that enjoyment is in using good quality materials.

I've used Happy Cross Stitcher too...excellent! Also Cross Stitch 4 you. You can always buy a few skeins at a time...that doesn't break the bank.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Hope not to hijack this thread, but I want to ask something else about thread.

I have noticed that on all the DMC threads I've got at a 'reasonable' price (£0.42p-£0.45p/skein from UK based ebay.co.uk sellers) they say 'Not to be sold in the EU', and all the ones costing £0.90p & up have not got this.

Does anyone know why?
Are the colours different, is the quality less, are more toxic colours used?

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Rose

Post by Rose »

It does have to do with Tue dyes that are used some are ban in certain areas and some are not. I know that there are colors here in the states that have been.discontinued in Europe. So I imagine is has to do with the availability of the color and were is can and can not be sold.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
elephantsneverforget

Post by elephantsneverforget »

Thankyou for all your help. I decided to buy DMC threads in the end - the deal on the CXC was to bulk buy a set of 50 for £7.50, so I decided it was too much of a risk. If anyone however does ever come across them and can give me feedback for my next project that would be much appreciated :)