WAY OT: MN Volunteer Opportunity

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

speart

WAY OT: MN Volunteer Opportunity

Post by speart »

Happy Saturday, happy stitchers! This is way, way OT, but one never knows. I've met so many wonderful and interesting folks in the Twin Cities just from this forum. For those of you in the metro and/or south metro area, I'm desperately seeking volunteers for a holiday event, Christmas in the Village, in Farmington. Our volunteer population is beginning to age out, and I am simply up against a wall in terms of finding new recruits. It's a wonderfully magical event, with lots to see and do for families. Copying my outreach letter below.

Volunteers Needed!
Hello, friends! Although Thanksgiving is not yet upon us, now is the time when non-profits begin asking for help during the holiday season. Dakota City Heritage Village, located at the Dakota County fairgrounds in Farmington, puts on a delightful holiday festival called Christmas in the Village. With Santa, music, and horse-drawn trolleys, our Christmas weekends truly are magical! Christmas in the Village runs the first two weekends in December (Dec 6th and 7th, 13th and 14th) from 1-8pm. As a non-profit, we rely heavily on volunteers to fill a variety of stations on these days.
If you enjoy children, making the magic of Christmas come alive, and serving others, Dakota City needs your help! As the volunteer coordinator this year, I have many slots available, ranging from costumed building interpreters (we provide the outfits), food service, and outside work helping with admission gates or firewood. Workers may choose between afternoon (12:30-4:30) and evening (4-8pm) shifts, but evenings are the most critical. Besides being a part of the fun and enjoying the magic of the holidays through the eyes of the children, Dakota City provides free admission to all event volunteers (come early or stay late to enjoy the fun for yourselves) and a free hot meal. Non-profit volunteer hours may be used for confirmation and service learning requirements, too, and help make pre-college resumes shine. If you, your family, or youth/work group are interested in volunteering and helping make magic for children and families this season, I would love to hear from you.
To see pictures from last season, please visit our website at http://www.dakotacity.org/" target="_blank.

Warmly,
Teresa Spear

Dakota City Heritage Village
Board Member
Volunteer Coordinator
Co-chair for Christmas in the Village