OT: Books for animals lovers

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lavenderbee

OT: Books for animals lovers

Post by lavenderbee »

At the weekend DH & bought some interesting books we've yet to read:-

War Dog by Damien Lewis

'Alfie the doorstep cat' by Rachel Wells. That has a recommendation on the back for 'Solomon's Tale' (another cat book) which got 5 stars from readers at my library. I've reserved that one.

All these books are in our library so handy if you are near one.

We loved 'Street Cat' named Bob' & following one so hope these are just as enjoyable.

One for Wendy Wombat - Have you been reading Beach Street Bakery (Lucy Diamond) series of books? There is a friendly almost adopted Puffin in these. I read latest one the other week & thought of you as I know you like puffins. That is when I realised we had not heard from you for a while but you were on holiday then in hospital. I have enjoyed reading that series of books & hope she brings out another one.

Like 'Cup Cake Cafe' books by Jenny Colgan, you can read about lovely food but you don't put weight on. Well that is unless you make the recipes in Cup Cake Cafe books. They are sooo tempting but have resisted so far! Talking about food must start getting our evening meal
ready. :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
wendywombat

Re: OT: Books for animals lovers

Post by wendywombat »

I must look for that.. :wub: :wub: Puffins!! Thanks!
I was trying to see them on the Shetland Islands webcam today...but they must've been out fishing!! :doh:
fccs

Post by fccs »

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll be heading over to Amazon soon to read more about them.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

That's OK. I know a lot on here are animal lovers so thought I'd put books on.

Wendy, didn't realise you could watch puffins on Shetland webcam. Must have a look. There are puffins in Isle of Man too. I used to have a pen pal there & she told me. Don't know if there is a Puffin watch webcam there or not.

Off coast of Anglesey there is a small rocky island called Puffin Island & puffins have recently stated nesting there again. Apparently none on there for a number of years but some been spotted a couple of years ago. Iolo Williams, the naturalist, & others keep a check on them. Seals shelter on the beaches too. Several times DH & I went to Penmon Point, Anglesey, opposite the small island & we could see the seals on the beach by the rocks.

Oh dear, done a nature ramble this time. :oops: :oops: :D

stitching is beewitching

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I was recommended these books on this forum. I cried because I was laughing so much at times. Both by Chris Pascoe. I really cannot recommend them too highly.

'A Cat Called Birmingham' and its sequel
'You can take the Cat out of Slough...'

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

lavenderbee wrote:That's OK. I know a lot on here are animal lovers so thought I'd put books on.

Wendy, didn't realise you could watch puffins on Shetland webcam. Must have a look. There are puffins in Isle of Man too. I used to have a pen pal there & she told me. Don't know if there is a Puffin watch webcam there or not.

Off coast of Anglesey there is a small rocky island called Puffin Island & puffins have recently stated nesting there again. Apparently none on there for a number of years but some been spotted a couple of years ago. Iolo Williams, the naturalist, & others keep a check on them. Seals shelter on the beaches too. Several times DH & I went to Penmon Point, Anglesey, opposite the small island & we could see the seals on the beach by the rocks.

Oh dear, done a nature ramble this time. :oops: :oops: :D
I was lucky to be able to go to Shetland many years back and I watched the Puffins scurrying in and out of their burrows right under my nose. I lay on the grass at Sumburgh head and watched them for ages! :whoop: :wub: :wub:
Don't think any were called 'Neil' though!!! @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Thanks for the recommendations Richard. Will check those with library. Have just come on to look at library to check another book but came on here first.

How lovely to be that close to wild birds Wendy. One of those moments you never forget. Shame one didn't have' Neil' x-stitched on a body warmer or bobble hat though! @rotfl:

stitching is beewitching