Looking in

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Looking in

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hello all, I've been looking in every now and again but not posting an awful lot - but it's so nice to know you're all here, and lovely to see all the beautiful projects and read people's stories.

I'm stitching quite a lot, though it's all a little bitty, I can't seem to settle down to anything so it's a bit of wool embroidery here and then a bit of Hardanger there and some designing in between and at the moment I'm hemming lots of old completed projects so they can be sewn onto bags.

It's mostly because everything is rather tense family-wise at the moment; DH's mother, who's in her late eighties, fell and broke her arm very badly with complicated fractures of the wrist and just above the elbow. Because of osteoperosis and thin skin it's going to be an extra-long haul. We'll be going there for a long weekend, and if anyone can suggest methods to stitch one-handedly I'd be very grateful!

My own mother has been fighting her cancer for four years now, and last week we were told that they are stopping her treatment as it is not working and just giving her lots of extremely nasty side effects. They are now working on a program of palliative care. I'll be going over to Holland for two short visits in June and July, and then we'll just have to see how it goes.

We are very blessed with a church family so supportive that it brough tears to my eyes. They help by praying, but also by offering to cook while I'm away, and by bringing flowers from their gardens, and by being there when we need to talk. Stitching is very helpful too, both in itself and because of the people I meet through it. And my stitching friends here are yet another blessing - this is a great group of people and it's wonderful to know I can come and drop in.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
fccs

Re: Looking in

Post by fccs »

That's a lot to deal with - prayers coming your way. Also, I PM'd you.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:hug: :hug: I'm sure we all understand and empathize with what you are going through. I know how hard it is when the doctors start to talk about palliative care. I can vividly remember when my husband's doctor told me he had contacted the palliative care team at the hospital and wanted us to talk with them. This is never easy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. To also give care to your MIL just adds to the stress because you want to be in two places at the same time and that is something I never figured out how to do. I hope that her arm heals more quickly than you anticipate so you will have less to worry about. Remember that those of us on this side of the pond are awake when most everyone near you is asleep. And don't forget to take care of yourself, because you need to be as rested and healthy as you can be during this difficult time. Easy to do, but doesn't really help anyone, especially the ones you are caring for!

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :rose:

WIP
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

My thoughts and prayers are with you and I'm so very glad that you have such a wonderful Church family!!! :hug: :hug:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

God Bless, church families, friends and stitching to help you through such a difficult time - no wonder your name has walked across my thoughts a few times lately.

Do take care of yourself and DH at this stressful time, so you are in top form to go to whom ever you need to at a particular time. It is so easy to not take that little bite of time out when it is needed. Sending love prayers and health to you and the family.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I'll be praying for you and your dear loved ones!
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

You and your family are in my thoughts. :hug:
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
BexVM

Post by BexVM »

I have PM'd you Mabel. That was before i saw your post. Much love to your whole family! Best wishes! xxxx
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Lovely to hear from you Mabel, so sorry it's not better news keeping you quieter.

For what it's worth you have my prayers.

I know someone who is on palliative care, she was put onto it four years ago. Still here....it does happen.

I'm so Glad you have such good support and that you realise you have it here as well, all support offers different things, that you need at different times, and I very much hope we will continue to do so.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

My thoughts are with you and your family Mabel. We are going through a similar time with my sister-in-law so I can empathize with your struggles at the moment. It's good that you have a strong support system around you.
Sending you many :hug: :hug: :hug:
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Carole said everything perfectly. I'm so sorry with how things are for you, but pleased that you have a supportive church family. It does help.
Praying for you and your family.
Take care of yourself xx :hug:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Yes, I too echo Carole's post. My thoughts & prayers are with you at this time as well Mabel. God bless you & give you the strength you need.
I believe strongly in prayer & faith helps a lot too. How wonderful your church family sound & it is good to know you have them to support you as well as all of us on here. Take care. :hug: :hug:
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I was thinking of you just last week and wondering how your dear mother was coping with her treatment.

All my warm and heartfelt thoughts with you. :hug: :hug:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Thank you all; we'll be seeing DH's parents this weekend, and next week I'll visit my mother for a few days. It'll be the first time we see each other since the news, so it won't be easy, but I hope it'll help her to have me there for a bit; I'll be going for another short visit later in the month.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

With your mum, what can anyone say?
Give her all the support you can. Show her you love her.

My mother died in 2005 of pancreatic cancer, 6 weeks after diagnosis. Utterly, utterly devastating. Just beyond words, and almost beyond expressible feelings, even 10 years on.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation