Kreinik is Evil

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wjreese

Kreinik is Evil

Post by wjreese »

Hi everyone,

I just needed some room to vent. I believe that Kreinik blending filament is going to be the downfall of me. Words cannot express the vile, stinking vulgarity that is Kreinick blending filament. I would like to meet Mr. Kreinik, the creator of this stuff, and punch him in the head. Repeatedly.

That aside, does anyone have any advice on this topic? I mean, I've had it snap in mid-stitch, curl up around the needle eye, and separate into two pieces (gold and whatever plastic stuff that is) for no apparent reason. I've tried dampening it, but have had very little luck. I've heard about some liquid made for this purpose, but have also heard that its ingredients are unknown and it could be bad for the floss.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks!
karen4bells

Re: Kreinik is Evil

Post by karen4bells »

the blending filament is a bit tricky to deal with---and it took me a few years to learn that you are supposed to actually separate it---i.e. remove the non metallic part--usually it's black---and just stitch with the metallic part---also if you use thread heaven ---that will keep the blending filament from curling as much
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

If you loop it around the eye of the needle, it behaves much better than if you thread the needle like you thread floss.

http://www.kreinik.com/shops/Kreinik-Bl ... nique.html" target="_blank

WIP
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

If you can't find 'Thread heaven' then running the thread through a block of bees wax works :idea:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I find it also helps to use shorter length threads so the thread doesn't tangle as much. Also to make sure that you aren't using blending filament when you should be using a braid instead. That is something I was not aware of for years and struggled using the filament when I should have been using braid. Not saying that is what is happening but just something to watch out for.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Buying Kreinik is impossible. Nobody around here carries it anymore.

I have started stocking up on DMC light effects and I'll be using them from now on.
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

19Roland19 wrote:Buying Kreinik is impossible. Nobody around here carries it anymore.

I have started stocking up on DMC light effects and I'll be using them from now on.

Light effects are definitely not ones I like at all---easier to find but impossible to use---at least in my opinion
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

The original Balger blending filament put out by Au ver a soie was much better.
The Kreinik metallics have been on a downhill slide for years.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Rose

Post by Rose »

I guess I am weird or something but I love to work with Kreinik. I do not separate it. I use it alone and with floss and both ways work well for me. I do not tie it to my needle, but I know that can be a positive for some. I do use Thread Heaven and find it can be helpful but I do not need it for all applications. Shorter lengths and letting it dangle so it untangles is helpful as well.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Your post made me laugh :lol: yes I know exactly what you mean, it is such annoying stuff. Thread heaven does help to make it a bit easier.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

I couldn't find Kreinik in my local suppliers, I just got blank looks. The silvery outline of my 'Memorilia' wings is supposed to be a kreinlk thread so I substituted 1 strand of silver light effects thread with 1 strand of white. I have dampened that down which worked with shorter lengths and now I am using a beeswax block which I find even more effective.

My motto, don't rant just find a better alternative. :D :D
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral
Kibakyu

Post by Kibakyu »

I have recently worked with a lot of this stuff for some patterns and have found a few things:

1) Shorter lengths definitely make it easier. The more it's run through, the more "worn" it becomes and it can get shredded.

2) There are different widths (I've prominently worked with hair-thin and tinsel-thin...maybe try a different width - most of them are marked on each end.

3) It's WORTH it though! The end result is often spectacular so I would keep trying til it works!

Happy stitching!
WIP
Mighty Samurai (large)

~~~~ 好きにしろ! (Do what you like) ~~~~
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I have had good luck with Kreinik. I use thread heaven, shorter lengths and loop it onto the needle so it doesn't slip off.
Shorter lengths are good for all metalics as the constant pulling through the holes tend to wear at them, causing them to snap or shred.
Linda