Hoping there maybe some school teachers here....

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ajay

Hoping there maybe some school teachers here....

Post by Ajay »

Hello all.

Summers here isn't it exciting!!!! My daughter is out and my eldest god daughter is graduating high school, I'm a little mad I will not get to go, because it's all the way in Pennsylvania.

Anyway upon receiving my daughter's finals grades. Mind you her grading system is E for exceeds the standards, M for Meets, A for Approach and F is nope.
In language Arts my daughter got a M solely because of her handwriting according to her teacher. Half the time the teacher had to ask her to read it, or rewrite what was written.

Now it's summer for a week and like all good parents I have gotton a couple work books for the summer and she has done pages in all of them except her handwriting book.
Those with children or maybe school teachers what do you Think about having her learn cursive. She loves to draw. Loves loves loves it as cursive is more of a artsy way of writing I was thinking it may work, and she may develop a handwriting style all her own that's legible . Mine is a mix of cursive and print itself.

Any thoughts???? Suggestions???? Alcohol to stop me from tearing out my hair....
If anyone uses Whatsapp, pm me to connect.

WIP
Woodland Enchantress-----She's not talking to me
Frederick The Literate-----I have upset this cat somehow
Jolly Trio Stocking-----Not ready to think of the C word yet
Frosted Pumpkin MSAL 2017
DisneyStitcher

Re: Hoping there maybe some school teachers here....

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Well, I'm old school, and come from a long line of teachers, and really feel like cursive (both reading and writing) is a necessary skill. I have seen synopsis of studies that show cursive writing improves both material retention in general and thought flow processes during writing specifically. At a gut level, I feel like everyone should be able to read historical documents in their original form. All of that being said, times are changing. Many school districts across the country have eliminated cursive writing from their curricula labeling it an unnecessary/outdated skill. Upon asking what will happen when people cannot sign their names for legal documents in the future, I get an eye roll from some person more informed than I and the response: "They won't have to, they will have a bio-signature like a finger print or iris scan."

If you decide that it is a skill you want her to have, make a game of it. I know there are several methods of teaching cursive. The standard for a long time was the Zaner-Bloser (or something very close to that) method, but my nieces' school changed over to another method that was supposedly much easier to learn. If you have a teacher supply store near you, go in and ask what they have in the way of teaching methods and tools. You could always frame it to your daughter as cursive mastery being the jumping off point for being able to write in a multitude of other fonts. There was an enterprising young lady in my daughter's high school that earned $1/invitation hand addressing envelopes. She was able to charge more for ornate calligraphy for wedding invitations and such.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Have you tried getting her interested in calligraphy? Learning to form the shape of letters, something she hasn't had to do since primary school, might help. Even if she really cracks basic roundhand, it will do her handwriting lots of good. But mostly calligraphy is fun and beautiful, there are lots of different "fonts" to learn, and you can use colour and imagination... and it's basically very inexpensive!! Great for rainy days -- or days when it's too hot to move out of the A/C.
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

I don't teach elementary, but I can understand the problem. In our state, cursive has been taken out of the mandatory curriculum so most students don't learn it any more. Depending on the grade she's going in, teachers may not want the students writing in cursive yet. Depending on her age, you can make writing a game. I've seen parents have students write messages in sandboxes, clay with a rounded dowel or pencil, or anything that can be smoothed out after writing something. Sometimes kids can work on writing using a paint brush (similar idea to calligraphy) with water or paint. I also worked on forming letters using decorating bags and icing. It really made me break down my letters. I can print and write cursive better on a cake than I can paper. One last idea would be a dry erase board or chalkboard standing up. I have students who write better on the chalkboard than they do on paper.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Just for your interest:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017060 ... eal-faster" target="_blank" target="_blank
Lyudmila
agi

Post by agi »

I was going to recommend calligraphy, but I see that Serinde beat me to it :D
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog