Radio Caroline

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lavenderbees

Radio Caroline

Post by lavenderbees »

50 years on is to get a broadcasting licence at last!! :whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce: I loved that station & had it on all day. My favourite was Johnny Walker :D
Lavender

stitching is beewitching
richardandtracy

Re: Radio Caroline

Post by richardandtracy »

Been thinking about this since you put it up.
I did listen to Radio Caroline. But not often, or with pleasure, I admit. The DJ's just niggled me. When the same people turn up on the radio or TV, I still get niggled by them. I think it was the DJ's I really didn't like, not the station, but it did rub off a bit.
Maybe I got to it too late, and Radio 1 was around at the time with adequate sound quality. However, neither station often played music I liked (in fact the only one I have found that regularly does is the night-time auto play list of US station 'I95') and I eventually gave up & went to speech only Radio 4.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

I listened to Radio Caroline a lot in it's day as well as Radio Luxembourg. It was the only way to hear the 'Pop' songs of the day. These stations eventually forced BBC's hand into Radio 1, but then Richard I am obviously much older than you. :lol:
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral
lavenderbees

Post by lavenderbees »

I used to have Radio 4 quite often in the 1970s as well as Radio1 but Caroline is the one I remember with fondness, Richard.

When we moved to Wales I used to have Radio Wales on in the mornings as they had things of interest throughout Wales - historic places to visit, nature etc. - but the powers that be changed the format & have more talk, quite a lot of politics, than records now. BBC Wales lost almost 1/3rd of their listeners when they did that & I was one of them. Only occasionally have Smooth on now, mostly for the dogs when we go out & need to leave them at home. The Shih Tzu doesn't like being left so they have Smooth Radio plus washing machine going! Mak sure I have some washing to put on those days.

Last few years at school I listened to Radio Luxemburg in the evenings, Frank. Used to like hearing the new records before they were on our UK radios. One I remember was Elvis Presley singing Jailhouse Rock as my school friend liked Elvis & when I told her I'd heard it she said I was wrong. But I had heard it & it continued to be played for several nights afterwards until it was released as record in UK.

I was a Cliff Richard fan. My long time friend was a Billy Fury fan, we often talk about those days when were young & carefree :)
Lavender

stitching is beewitching