Help with perforated paper stitching

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

dianafish

Help with perforated paper stitching

Post by dianafish »

I’ve cross stitched a long time, but never on perforated paper. Can someone give me some tips?
Thanks!
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Help with perforated paper stitching

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

It's been a while since I did, but the first and most obvious one is "don't use a hoop" :lol:

Seriously, bear in mind that the holes are bigger than on fabric so trailed threads will show through more easily. I've also found I generally need a strand more than I would on fabric to get good coverage.

Even more so than on fabric, try whenever possible to go down into shared holes rather than coming up in them.

Don't pull the thread too tight; worst case scenario is that the paper tears, but also if you leave just a little bit of slack the stitches will be plumper and cover better.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

I would not recommend to use perforated paper before you get some practice on perforated plastic canvas. Paper is too "fragile" for learning on it.
Lyudmila
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Good tips so far!

I'd also add if you hold onto the paper too tightly it can bend somewhat. A loose grip is helpful.

Also, to start in the middle, I had a stitcher tell me to turn to the back and draw an X with a ruler from one corner to the other to find your center. You can't count on the paper being perfectly square if it's in a kit, etc.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I enjoy my excursions with perforated paper, but you do have to be careful, of course. Mill Hill does some lovely little pieces, usually including beads, obviously, but paper is good for quick, small projects. Gift tags and that sort of thing.
dianafish

Post by dianafish »

Thanks everyone! I think I've decided to do Aida on this project for now, but will try paper later on!

Diana :wink:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I hope you will be staying with us as you stitch your project. We'd love to see your work.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker