Here I Go Again!!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Re: Here I Go Again!!

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Serinde wrote: Vombatus ursinus maior importunus: the Greater Ruthless Wombat.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

This is what I think of when I hear talk of 'Ruthless Wombat's':

120mm of ruthlessness.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I may be repeating myself, but my sister and I have twice moved my father from a home he lived in for over 25 years. First was the house I grew up in. He sold it a year after my mother died and they had lived there for over 25 years. Then several years ago, when my stepmother died, my sister and I again had to clear it out after we sold it. (My father had died a few years before her). That was another 25 years worth of more stuff than I could imagine (except my house of course which is going to be 25 years this year). Which is why when I came home after dealing with my dad's condo, I informed my kids that I wasn't doing that again, and that this house will be their problem one day. I haven't a clue anymore what is in the attic (which I like to avoid). You have all my sympathy and empathy. We ended up calling a service here in the states called 123Junk for everything we couldn't trash and didn't want and couldn't give away, though we did donate a lot of furniture and other things.
123Junk does exactly that. They take it and take it away. Wasn't that expensive either. You pay according to the amount of space that the "junk" takes up in the truck. They bring trash cans and just throw things in. If you have big items (and we had furniture which no one, including the charities we contacted, wanted) and there is a service like that available, its worth looking into. And finding good places to eat in the evenings is an excellent way to end the day (if you aren't too tired. Food delivery was good too). The hardest thing to do was to eat healthy, and I admit, we didn't often enough. Sooner, rather than later, this will be done and you will be home.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote:I see that the Great Work has begun. Hope you uncover the documents soonest, therefore being able to become that most rare of creatures: Vombatus ursinus maior importunus: the Greater Ruthless Wombat. 8)
Well that really made me laugh @rotfl: @rotfl: and Richard's armament is just what I need! Or perhaps a flame thrower :lol:

We found every single TV serial ever recorded in DVD today :shock: twice!! :roll: My dad has been a real miser when it comes to spending on family to the point that we wouldn't have new winter coats but he would buy the latest gadget for himself.

Been to the dump with more rubbish and called the Red Cross who collected a wheelchair and other stuff, so bonus!
Ever onward tomorrow :whoop:
nannyrainbow

Post by nannyrainbow »

hope you achieve all you want to Wendy, you will be so relieved when it is finally behind yo & you can get back to normal. You'll feel fablous to have done it despite all the snags etc Safe journey home :)
Del
Mabel Figworthy

You're obviously making good progress, and good to hear that some of it was useful to the Red Cross! I agree with Carole that eating healthily is important, but I have a sneaking feeling that at the moment comfort food might be what is needed. And some comfort food can be quite healthy! Well, not unhealthy. Well, not very....
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
agi

Post by agi »

I feel your pain Wendy. I had to do the same when my mum died and it was hard and painful. She lived in that house for 30 years.

But the thing is, if you ask my daughter she is not going to say nice things about me either. :oops:
When I moved to Sweden, I had a week to pack my things so I had to ask her to do a bit of cleaning after I left and before the tenants moved in. She was not happy about it. Then last year when I moved to a bigger flat, se came to help me again. I had only lived in Sweden for 5 and a half year and the truck they sent (thinking a woman alone, in a small flat) was not enough! I am a hoarder and that's a fact.

I have been thinking lately that I don't want her to go through this again one day so now I made a resolution to minimize stash shopping and use as much as I can. We will see how it goes. :doh:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:whoop: :whoop: I need a bouncy castle smile! :dance:

Just heard from the social worker that my dad has been accepted into a nursing home and could be in there as early as tomorrow. :dance: :whoop:

We have worked our little socks off this week and the house is, if not perfect, at least the bad :smelly: has gone out with the rubbish. Have filled the skip (dumpster) and worn a trail to the local rubbish tip. I just have to find him some clothes and label them for the nursing home.

We have filled 20 boxes with books and dvd's ready to go to the charity shops. I shall sort out some music cds for him to take and some books that I know he likes too tomorrow. We also have a contact for house clearance. At least we have found all the documentation that we were looking for.

When we go home next Wednesday we can 'forget' him for a while. :lol: knowing that he wil be looked after. He was very confused and quite 'ratty' when I saw him this week. Our time here has not been wasted and we shall be able to relax a bit before going home.

Thank you for all the support you have given me and all the 'helpful' suggestions which made me laugh especially Richards field gun!!
Mabel Figworthy

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great news Wendy! May he soon settle in, especially with some of his favourite books and music around him.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:whoop: Great news Wendy you will soon be able to go home and rest easy knowing your Dad is being taken care of and the house is dealt with. A mammoth job I know from experience but you are on the home straight now. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:shock: You wouldn't say 'on the home straight' if you had seen the roof space, Sally! The floor space up there is non existant. Boxes upon boxes piled up full of papers, tools of all shapes and sizes. Some new and duplicated that have never been opened :shock: plus all the old broken rusted ones. We hoped to get house clearance in next time we're here but there are still numerous piles of documents heaped up there to sort out. You never know we might even find something worth having :lol:

We remain good humoured and can honestly say that we have never had a holiday like it! @rotfl:
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Been reading this on & off & now know what a big job you've had to do. There is still lots more work to be done by the sounds of it even though you've done a lot already. Hope you can both relax knowing the home will take care of your father & that the worst is behind you, well hopefully that is.
Daisy :)