Cross stitch groups?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

Cross stitch groups?

Post by Angel »

Does anyone in here belong to an actual flesh and blood group?

I am so terribly lonely. Being on my own at work, working nights, all my friends live four hours away and my parents and I don't see each other very much any more. I love this forum and it really helps me, but I'm so used to being surrounded by people I would love to find a cross stitch group in my area. Or even set one up myself, I know there are people who would attend. But I've never been part of a stitching group before. Where are they held? What do you do?
lacemaker2004

Re: Cross stitch groups?

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I have two groups that I have attended. One is based out of the LNS. They meet twice a week (once in the day, once in the evening). The other group is my lace group which meets weekly but I haven't been in about a year. This group meet at a local university.

It may take awhile but advertising in church, coffee shops and LNS may help get a group together.
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
Angel

Post by Angel »

What's LNS?

I know we had some interest on the Sheffield forum, but the girl trying to run it has only been in the country a few months and no one knew where to meet. I've contacted a local comunity centre, but other than that all I can think of is asking my uncle if the salvation army would be willing to let us in one night a week. But I don't want to ask.
nicgoss

Post by nicgoss »

I'm sorry Angel - I don't know of anywhere! I'm sure there are loads about though, so I really hope you can find somewhere. Good luck!
Nic x

-----------------
Work in Progress

HAED 'Yes'
HAED 'Ballerina Sisters
HAED 'Swans Song'
HAED 'Shh'
Mystic Stitch 'Dawn's Song'
New York @ Night
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I just stitch on my own. There are no groups in my area and the ones that are available are too far away. So I just rely on these forums to enjoy the company of other stitchers.
Linda
charmagne_capalad

Post by charmagne_capalad »

It would surely be nice to do your xstitching with a whole friendly bunch of xstitchers. Back in 1998 - 2000 when xstitching is very popular here in the Philippines, you can see xstitchers frequently gathering in many places. But now, there are only a few left...that's why I'm glad joining this forum...feels like real! :wub:
charmagne
"As we count our stitches...let us not forget to count our blessings..."
@mayneideas on instagram
Angel

Post by Angel »

Yeah, the forums are great and would be great, except I can go for two weeks and not speak to anyone other than the two minutes it takes for us to swap shifts. I don't know any other way to get out and meet people other than to join a club/start one.
agi

Post by agi »

I think that would be a great idea, Angel.
I don't know about place, but if you start advertising, perhaps there will be some people who would be willing to invite fellow stitchers to their homes? I know I would do it if had a bigger place. Also, I could ask the director in the school, and surely they would let us use a classroom for a nominal fee - isn't that an option for you? A school?
Or may be you can just meet in a public place like a café or such.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Angel

Post by Angel »

For me to attend it has to be either first think in the morning or in the evening as I sleep during the day. Which is why I don't think a school would be a good option. There are a fair few cafes nearby so I'll look into them. Thanks.
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

I think starting your own group is a great idea, Angel - go for it! Libraries often have rooms for hire - our local library has several groups who meet there. It's certainly worth asking. Also they may be able to suggest other places you could try if they don't do this or if rooms aren't available. We also have a village hall which hires the hall out to various organisations, e.g. painting, crafting, Slimming World, Weightwatchers etc. Or what about a local church hall? Do you have anything like that near to you? Then advertise in as many places as you can. Good luck with it.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I only know one church locally, but I suspect there are more. The one I know is the salvation army.

The zest centre (library/gym/swimming pool near me) has function rooms, so I've emailed them. I don't know anything about running a club of my own, but I hope it takes off and I can do this. It would be so great to be able to see and hear people again.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

It would be a wonderful thing to start if you can get a few interested Angel.
Hope it all takes off for you.
:applesauce: :D :applesauce:
I don't think there is anything like that local to me, but of course, it might just not be well advertised. Maybe you will even find one already established while you are making your enquiries. Local libraries often have details of different clubs.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Angel

Post by Angel »

There is a club in Sheffield, but it's all the way at the other end, it'd take me over an hour just to get there and it's not an area I'm familiar with either. But locally? There isn't one. If there were it would have been mentioned on the sheffield forum a few months ago when Rosi first asked about one (she lives three tram stops down from me). I reckon she'd join my group and if I posted on sheffield forum we could get a nice number going.
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

~threadbear~ wrote: Local libraries often have details of different clubs.
Exactly what I was going to suggest!! Also Angel, don't rule schools out as a venue. Evenings are exactly when they are available for clubs to meet as the kids have gone home and the buildings are empty. I know my daughter's school is used frequently for drama clubs, yoga and other meetings.

I've also noticed coffee shops sometimes have a local community board. Our local Starbucks certainly does and hosts a book group (which, incidentally is something else you could join if you are looking for something to do)

I think your idea is fabulous. Good for you girl. I'd be interested if there was one round here (Herts, Bucks border ... anyone?)

Please keep us posted as to how it goes.

Slinky
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Angel

Post by Angel »

There's a community notice board on the road behind mine (will be advertising there).

I never thought schools were open past five...I tended to avoid mine as much as possible. I know colleges are open late though.
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Keep us posted, and good luck.

XX
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i know no one that stitches near me..i've joined lots of groups and never anyone in the same state as me :-( and the LNS that is about 45min away..snooty!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Kute Kitty

Post by Kute Kitty »

I'm not in a stitching group but would love to join or start one! I only have two friends who stitch though (incidentally, one of them lives in Sheffield, I can ask her if she'd be interested in going in to a group with you if you'd like?) and my partner's mother does, but they're all far too far away for any sort of regular meeting to be practical.

I might start putting a few feelers out at the local library etc. I did meet a few people through work who were into stitching, but they all had other obligations (one was moving to a different part of the country!) so we couldn't get anything started. Most frustrating.
WIPs:
Snow Princess and the Polar Bear HAED

Plans:
Twinkle twinkle cushion for nephew's third birthday (September 2015)
Man U crests for husband and brother-in-law

crazycat

Post by crazycat »

i know how you feel there is none in bradford either as i would love to be able to find some friends who stitch and like cats
http://stitchycorner.blogspot.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wip
Celtic fairy
Angel

Post by Angel »

Oh kute kitty, if you could ask her, that'd be great. And if she doesn't know how to get to the place I eventually get booked I can meet her and show her the way.

I think you should start one if you want to. It'd be good to meet others who share your hobby and make new friends. But running the group is hard work (I ran a group at college, that was much easier as we were allowed classrooms and funding for it out of the school budget, rather than having to think ahead).