Anyone else feel it?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

daisymay

Anyone else feel it?

Post by daisymay »

Just found out I was right, the earth did move about 2.30 pm!!.

Quake in Swansea. Felt right up to Liverpool where group of geologists were attending conference about continental plates drifting!

I felt back of wooden upright chair wobble into my back a few times, stopped a couple of seconds & a few more wobbles. DH never felt it so I thought I was really imagining things or having some sort of turn. Apparently felt in Wrexham area & in Northern Devon too where horses in fields started running about neighing. They were reported on Internet news.

Can't imagine what it must be like to be involved in a big earthquake where the ground shakes violently. Horrendous springs to mind but I expect even that would be an understatement in those circumstances.

Still lovely sunshine & blue skies. Lambs in fields, daffodils & snowdrops in bloom along road verges. Never thought we'd have this. Felt one about 15 years ago when epicentre was Birmingham. W e then lived further west in Northern Wales than we do now. Amazing how the tectonic plates move around.
Daisy :)
Serinde

Re: Anyone else feel it?

Post by Serinde »

Earth wouldn't dare move in presbyterian Scotland! (tee hee) :shock:
poppy

Post by poppy »

I did feel a similar quake in Surrey a few years back. It is quite disturbing. :shock:
daisymay wrote:Can't imagine what it must be like to be involved in a big earthquake where the ground shakes violently. Horrendous springs to mind but I expect even that would be an understatement in those circumstances.
I heartily agree!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
nannyrainbow

Post by nannyrainbow »

We felt it - had both granddaughters with us. They were a bit scared when furniture moved & drinks slopped about in glasses & cups. 2 grandsons playing away football match said they stopped a few minutes before play continued. Glad it was no bigger. As Daisy said, must be awful when in stronger quakes - unthinkable as to how frightened people would feel.
Del
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

You do get used to the though. I lived in Christchurch NZ for 70 years, fortunately away when the 2 big quakes happened a few years back.
Yes they can be scary, especially if they are a rare happening. Glad everyone is safe though.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

I'm in Bristol we felt it here, my sofa did a jolt it freaked me out a bit having never felt a quake before :shock:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Didn't originally think you'd feel it in Bristol Lulu but later in the evening when reading an Internet article I saw a graph of where shocks went & was amazed how far they spread.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Not this one.
A few years ago we heard the Folkstone quake as a loud rumble, like a big truck.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Carole

Post by Carole »

Didn't feel this one. I was at work and I guess the new building is really stable.

I did feel the Birmingham one, going back a few years. I was asleep in bed and was woken by what I initially thought was a train coming through the house :lol: :shock:
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

amanda66

Post by amanda66 »

We had one in 2008 5.2 mag, 3.5 miles from where I live. Total shock when it happened, all pictures moved offline and bed moved 1 inch.
Hopefully this does not happen again very soon.
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

We were at my aunts visiting yesterday just outside Wrexham and 5 adults and one teenager felt nothing, we rang family back home and they said they felt a tremor but not too much, however I well remember the one in Dudley 2002 as that is where we live, I woke to the bed shaking and the wardrobes dancing, shook hubby awake who told me I was imagining it and to go back to sleep, next day he came home from work to tell me that the area had been hit with an earthquake the night before, he got the "if looks could kill" look from me lol and then I showed him the big crack in the brickwork at the back of our house! We are indeed fortunate in this country that they happen infrequently and are not usually too big on the Richter scale.
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Wow, that was a shock to have that happen to your brickwork. Luckily we only had shaking bed in that time. I thought I'd had a bad dream & was trembling until I realised whole bed was shaking. DH snoring away knew nothing. A friend of mine in Birmingham thought her husband had fallen out of bed - we laughed over that for quite a while!! :lol:
fccs

Post by fccs »

I really hate earthquakes. I've been through so many I've lost count. They're scary and noisy and they strike without warning. No thank you!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends