Love to Ladies Bingo - WINNER! - Congrats verajane :)

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

StitchingEs

Re: Love to Ladies Bingo - EYES DOWN! - 5th numbers - 24/9

Post by StitchingEs »

Sorry ladies, my computer and internet died yesterday and I'm now posting from my phone now the net is fixed. Hopefully computer will be sorted by tomorrow so I'll resume the bingo then.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Xx
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

not to worry. I will just peek back at the previous lovely ladies and admire them again.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What a pain for you :tantrum: Losing computer time and your work is such a drag. Do hope all is well for you soon.

We are fine and as Carole has said we have lovely ladies to enjoy in the meantime.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
StitchingEs

Re: Love to Ladies Bingo - EYES DOWN! - Bingo Resumed!!!

Post by StitchingEs »

Thanks to my lovely hubby, my computer and internet are now back and fine and dandy. Now we can continue the bingo and as an extra extra treat I've got not 2, not 3, but 4 numbers for you today!!! (courtesy of my daughter CJ)

#1: Ashanti

I love this piece mostly because of the colours - and if there's one thing I remember from my Mum's travels in Africa it was all the different coloured treasures she came home with. I think here love for the people and the culture rubbed off on me to a certain extent, but even from an artistic perspective, this is a beautiful piece and would be beautiful stitched, especially if you love Africa.

As usual I did a search on the name, and wiki have a whole page on the Ashanti people. I was really interested when I read that the Ashanti are a matrilineal tribe:

"Ashanti are one of Africa's matrilineal societies where line of descent is traced through the female. Historically, this mother progeny relationship determined land rights, inheritance of property, offices and titles. It is also true that the Ashanti inherit from the paternal side of the family. Property is defined as something inherited from the father, hence the name "agyapade", meaning inheritance from a good father. Normally, a poor father has nothing to give their children, and often marry into a family which has wealth from ancestors.

The father's role was to help the conception and provide the nkra or the soul of the child; that is, the child received its life force, character, and personality traits from the father. Though not considered as important as the mother, the male interaction continues in the place of birth after marriage.

Historically, an Ashanti girl was betrothed with a golden ring called "petia" (I love you), if not in childhood, immediately after the puberty ceremony. They did not regard marriage "awade" as an important ritual event, but as a state that follows soon and normally after the puberty ritual. The puberty rite was and is important as it signifies passage from childhood to adulthood in that chastity is encouraged before marriage. The Ashanti required that various goods be given by the boy's family to that of the girl, not as a 'bride price,' but to signify an agreement between the two families."

Here's a link if you fancy an interesting read.

#13: Africana

My daughter must have a sixth sense for things related to Africa! For the same reason above, I love this because of the colours, but I also love the simplicity of it. It's something that I can imagoe being made out of banana skins, and again, from my mum's travels, looks like it depicts something from the Kenyan region (don't quote me cause I'm probably wrong but it's very similar to some art I've seen on postcards and banana leaf paintings she's bought home with her.) If yo've never seen art made from banan leaf, I urge you to check it out - you'll be amazed!!!

#22: Pandora

When I was younger, Pandora's box was one of my most favourites tales - it still is to a certain extent. Just incase you don't know the tale, in short it's about a girl who was given a box by her father and told never to open it - of course, like they say, curiosity killed the cat - and she opened it only for the terrors and horrors of the world to come out of the box and ravage the earth. She regretted it instantly, and snapped the box shut, but it was too late as all of the evil things had escaped. But when she opened it again, the last thing flew out - it was hope.

Marta Dahlig, the original artist of what is now this HAED, perfectly captured for me the relief, promise and belief Pandora had when she saw that all that was left was hope in her rendition of this timeless tale - I fell in love with this, as I did most of Marta's pieces of work when I found her on the deviantArt website - and this is a must stitch for me - in fact it's next on my HAED buying list :)

#12: Bouquet

I have loved Spain since I was introduced to the language back in school when I was 13 (that makes me feel old) - when I was 16 I got a chance to do an exchange and stayed with a lovely family - I loved it there, and haven't been anywhere abroad since, but if I went anywhere it would be Spain - the people, the country, the culture is just lovely. Anyhoo, I love this picture because this lady really does look Spanish, and the whole vibe of the piece fills me with nostalgia and memories and all sorts of squidgy smoodgy feelings which I like :lol:

Good luck ladies :)

Next numbers tomorrow
xx
StitchingEs

Post by StitchingEs »

Squirrel wrote:What a pain for you :tantrum: Losing computer time and your work is such a drag. Do hope all is well for you soon.

We are fine and as Carole has said we have lovely ladies to enjoy in the meantime.
I know it's horrible to think how much I could have lost! Trust me, I have not been a happy lady over the last coule of days :x Still, I have a faboo hubby who managed not only to fix the net connection and my computer, but who backed up my work only a few days agao, so I've not lost a lot of what was on here :applesauce:
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Pandora brings me to 5/10 :)
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
kiwirach

Re: Love to Ladies Bingo - EYES DOWN AGAIN! - 6th Numbers 27

Post by kiwirach »

no numbers for me tonight, so still on 5/10.

love reading all the detail you provide :)
my blog

WIP
Little House Neighbourhood - LHN
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

3 numbers today so I have jumped to 6/10. And they are lovely ladies arent' they?

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Not sure how there can be 4 numbers and I get none of them!! But it's ok, I'm on 6/10 right now....

Fab ladies. I really like the Cleopatra one for no reason I can put my finger on....

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
StitchingEs

Post by StitchingEs »

Fizzbw wrote:Not sure how there can be 4 numbers and I get none of them!! But it's ok, I'm on 6/10 right now....

Fab ladies. I really like the Cleopatra one for no reason I can put my finger on....

Niki xxx

LOL! Nevermind - I'm sure you'll catch up :) I know what you mean about the Cleopatra one - it's weird isn't it??
StitchingEs

Post by StitchingEs »

rcperryls wrote:3 numbers today so I have jumped to 6/10. And they are lovely ladies arent' they?

Carole
I'm very glad you like the ladies :) :) :) :dance:
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

Pandora is in my stash and I have a feeling she may come out very soon. I am at 4/10
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What a lot of beautiful ladies Esme and love the colourful African ones.

Bouquet gives me 1 more to bring it to 5.

Must have missed reading "Pandora" as I too loved the story as a child and I have a "Pandora's box ( a cardboard box covered in wrapping paper) which when I first got it from my mum was full of my Gram's threads, crochet cotton and her hooks, ribbons, laces, bias binding etc etc. Still using it up too. :lol:

WIPS
knottylamb

Post by knottylamb »

:thumbsup: 5/10 so far, Ashanti was my fifth one. I really like the colors in Ashanti, but my favorite Lady is Cleopatra. I love her softness, youth and innocense in this portrait of her which is so unlike how she is depicted in films and documenteries.
Kathy
The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Eleanor Roosevelt
cairee

Post by cairee »

oh such lovely ladies! :wub: love Bouquet!

Im at 6/10
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
StitchingEs

Re: Love to Ladies Bingo - EYES DOWN 7th set - 29/9

Post by StitchingEs »

Sorry it's a little later than expected tonight ladies. The numbers....

#11: Asiria

The first time I spotted this I fell in love with her; she reminds me a lot of the character Khaleesi from game of Thrones. When I was looking at Nene Thomas's work, I noticed she is called Witch of Dragons - Khaleesi in Game of Thrones is the mother of Dragons but this is what I can imagine the writer of the original books (Fire & Ice by George RR Martin) envisioning the character like this (although I've not read the books as yet, so I may be wrong) I really do think this is a fanatstic piece, and the detail is marvellous.

#25: The Commodore

Okay, you caught me... I have a "thing" for Marta Dahlig's HAEDs!!!! This one in particular because I love love love the depiction of this strong woman. It has an otherworldly feel to it - almost alien-like and even futuristic - but at the same time it exudes a strength of character that feels like it has a vast history.

Wiki says - "The rank of commodore derives from the French commandeur, which was one of the highest ranks in orders of knighthood, and in military orders the title of the knight in charge of a commenda (a local part of the order's territorial possessions)."

#9: Ophelia

Better known as Blue Opehlia (you caught me again - I have a thing for Waterhouse too :) )

Ophelia is a fictional character in Shakepeare's Hamlet - who tragically takes he own life. Generally, she is depicted in virginal white, even in another rendition by Waterhouse, but I love that this shows her in a different way. Her fate is the same, sadly, but this depiction is so much more how I imagined her and that's why I love it so much :)
cairee

Re: Love to Ladies Bingo - EYES DOWN!!! - 7th set - 29/9

Post by cairee »

one more brings me to 7/10 :D
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: :applesauce: for Ophelia who gives me another 1 to bring it to 5/10. Love the details on her gown and her lovely wild flowers she has picked.

The other 2 are interesting as well.

Thank you for the informative write ups Esme - they bring the pictures to life more.

WIPS
kiwirach

Post by kiwirach »

number 11 brings me to 6/10 :applesauce:

ETA :: I'm going into a new placement this evening - I may struggle getting online for a few days - I hope not, but can't be sure. I'll check in here as soon as possible.
my blog

WIP
Little House Neighbourhood - LHN
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Number 11 brings me to 7/10 :D . The gown is so beautiful that she is wearing and I love the light coming through the windows. The other ladies are equally as lovely. Great pics and information again!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat