National Trust Bingo - hularac is our winner!!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

jocellogirl

National Trust Bingo - hularac is our winner!!

Post by jocellogirl »

I've decided on the theme at last!! Sorry it has taken so long :oops: . We are members of the National Trust and always make sure there are plenty of National Trust places to visit in the area where we are taking our holiday. We have just booked this summer's holiday and that got me thinking to how many National Trust places we have visited. 36!!!!! So I've whittled it down a bit and the 'Top 30' that we have visited are as follows:

1. Baddesley Clinton
2. Berrington Hall
3. Bodnant Garden
4. Boscastle
5. Calke Abbey
6. Chedworth Roman Villa
7. Clouds Hill
8. Corfe Castle
9. Cothele
10. Coughton Court
11. Hailes Abbey
12. Hanbury Hall
13. Hardwick Hall
14. Hardy's Birthplace
15. Hidcote
16. Kedleston Hall
17. Kingston Lacy
18. Lanhydrock
19. Lyveden New Bield
20. Max Gate
21. Moseley Old Hall
22. Mr. Straw's House
23. Nunnington Hall
24. Penrhyn Castle
25. Rievaulx Terrace
26. Shugborough Estate
27. Snowshill Manor
28. Tintagel Old Post Office
29. Trerice
30. Wightwick Manor

Sign up is until Sunday 23rd February, so that gives you nearly 2 weeks to choose and pm me your numbers. I'll get my girls to each pick a number out of the hat starting on Monday 24th February.

The winner is the first to pm me with BINGO and they will win a voucher for the stitchy retailer of their choice to the value of £10, $15 or equivalent currency of the retailer.

:shamrock: Best of luck to all :shamrock:
Last edited by jocellogirl on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:22 am, edited 17 times in total.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
rcperryls

Re: National Trust Bingo - Sign up open.

Post by rcperryls »

I'm in. Will be sending numbers soon. I love this idea. My sister and I are talking about a trip (once we sell my Dad's condo and if there is anything left after we finish paying the mortgage) to the British Isles and after my niece and nephew are finished with college :roll: . I so want to see castles (I am a castle freak) and other historic places. So this Bingo will keep me fired up, I'm sure.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
hularac

Post by hularac »

Sure will be interesting reading about these places. Great theme! I'm sending my list now. --Carol in Honolulu
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Participants so far

hularac
rcperryls

Don't miss out, sign up today!! For anyone who is unsure about playing, it's just a bit of fun. Have a look through son of the old bingo threads to see what it's all about. :)
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

perftangel

Re: National Trust Bingo - Sign up open until 23rd February.

Post by perftangel »

I'm totally in. Wasn't there a show on PBS (or something like that) about the different homes of the National Trust? Treasures of the Trust or something? My parents restored a 1880s Victorian Mansion and so they've always been really into those sorts of things and by extension I am as well. :)
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Great to have you on board perftangel :dance:
perftangel wrote: Wasn't there a show on PBS (or something like that) about the different homes of the National Trust? Treasures of the Trust or something?
I couldn't tell you about the show, as we don;t get that channel over here, but I find history fascinating, so hopefully this should be fairly interesting :x:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Love this theme! I have no idea what any of these are, so I'm picking numbers randomly based on if I like the name or not. :)

Sending in my numbers ASAP.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

http://tv.msn.com/tv/series/treasures-of-the-trust.2/" target="_blank

Yup! Looks like I was right, but it doesn't say what channel it was on. Maybe HDNet in the States instead. :)
hularac

Post by hularac »

Eager to start playing (and learning about the different places).
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Participants so far:

hularac
rcperryls
perftangel
bookknurd

One more week left to sign up :D
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Wicked. Perfect timing for coming back to the bingo fold!

Sending my list now.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Participants so far:

hularac
rcperryls
perftangel
bookknurd
Fizzbw
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Just bumping this one, only 5 more days to sign up!!
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Bumping it again for you, Jo, so that it shows up again at the top of the new posts list.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Thanks Carole :wink:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

We have a very select group playing this time, as there are only 5 of you :D
First numbers up are 4 Boscastle and 22 Mr Straw's House

4. Boscastle
Boscastle is a village and fishing port on the north coast of Cornwall, England, UK, in the civil parish of Forrabury and Minster. It is 14 miles (23 km) south of Bude and 5 miles (8 km) northeast of Tintagel.
The name of the village comes from Botreaux Castle (pronounced "But'ry"), a 12th-century motte-and-bailey fortress, of which few remains survive. The castle was anciently in the possession of the de Botreaux family, which became under William de Botereaux (1337–91) the Barons Botreaux.
Boscastle harbour is a natural inlet protected by two stone harbour walls built in 1584 by Sir Richard Grenville (of HMS Revenge). It is the only significant harbour for 20 miles (32 km) along the coast. As well as being a fishing harbour, importing limestone and coal and exporting slate and other local produce, Boscastle was once a small port similar to many others on the north coast of Cornwall.
The oldest part of Boscastle surrounds the harbour; more modern residential building extends up the valleys of the River Valency and River Jordan.
Boscastle lies within the Cornwall Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). Almost a third of Cornwall has AONB designation, with the same status and protection as a National Park.
The village, with its picturesque harbour, is a popular tourist destination. Among the attractions are the Museum of Witchcraft, the Boscastle pottery shop, and access to the South West Coast Path.
Much of the land in and around Boscastle is owned by the National Trust, including both sides of the harbour, Forrabury Stitches, high above the Boscastle and divided into ancient "stitchmeal" cultivation plots, and large areas of the Valency Valley, known for its connections to Thomas Hardy.
The former harbour stables (part of the National Trust estate) are now a youth hostel run by YHA, popular with walkers. The National Trust runs a shop at the harbour and a visitor centre in the Old Smithy.
A flash flood on 16 August 2004 caused extensive damage to the village. Residents were trapped in houses as the roads turned into rivers: people were trapped on roofs, in cars, in buildings and on the river's banks. and the village's visitor centre was washed away. Two Royal Air Force Westland Sea King rescue helicopters from Chivenor, three Royal Navy Sea Kings from Culdrose, one RAF Sea King from St Mawgan and one Coastguard S61 helicopter from Portland searched for and assisted casualties in and around the village.
The operation was coordinated by the Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre (ARCC) based at RAF Kinloss in Scotland in the largest peacetime rescue operation ever launched in the UK. A total of 91 people were rescued and there were no fatalities, only one broken thumb. Around 50 cars were swept into the harbour and the bridge was washed away, roads were submerged under 2.75 m of water, making communication effectively impossible until flood-waters subsided. The sewerage system burst, and for this range of health and safety reasons Boscastle was declared temporarily inaccessible.
Boscastle was flooded again on 21 June 2007 although the scale of destruction was not nearly as serious as in 2004.

22. Mr Straw’s House
The Edwardian semi-detached house, built in 1905 and located on Blyth Grove in Worksop, was the residence of the Straw family. William Straw ran a lucrative grocery and seed company. He had two children, Walter and William Jr., with wife Florence, the daughter of a well-off butcher. They moved from the flat above the shop into the house in 1923, naming it "Endcliffe Villa". Florence quickly got to work on the decoration of her new house. The period features include patterned carpets, thick curtains, and dark, heavy wallpapers that were popular at the time.
Oil paintings housed in gilt-frames adorn the walls, though none of the items found in the house are classed as being valuable or particularly rare.
William died suddenly in 1932 while gardening. The family, grieving the loss, decided to preserve the house and avoided all forms of modernisation. William's tobacco pouch and pipe, hanging beside the fireplace, was untouched, and the 1932 calendar was left on the wall. William Jr., who had moved to London to become an English teacher around 1918, returned to the house in 1938, the year before his mother's death. He and brother Walter continued to run the house without making any changes, resisting modern conveniences. Walter died in 1976, and William Jr. lived in the house until 1985, when he was hospitalised after a fall. Without any heirs to whom he could pass on the property, he decided to bequeath it, and the bulk of his fortune, to the National Trust. He died in 1990.
The National Trust took ownership of the property in 1990, their first semi-detached house. Initial assessments of the property quickly revealed the historical preservation that had occurred over the years. Conservators were required to repair sections of wallpaper damaged by damp and touch up sections of the woodwork. The house opened to the public in 1993.
The family threw very little away and lived without many modern conveniences. Brothers William Jr. and Walter were determined to maintain the original feeling of the house. It is believed that a lightbulb once fell from the chandelier into William Jr.'s lunch and he refused to replace it. The empty socket therefore remained.
The house next door is also owned by The National Trust and features a coffee shop and museum room which contains some of the family’s belongings. The display includes William Jr.'s Scout uniform and teacher's gown, as well as early photographs and Victorian furniture and household objects. Many of the items remain exactly where the Straw family left them. Over 12,500 individual items have been catalogued and photographed ranging from tea measures to a two-person Baby Daisy vacuum cleaner from the 1910s.
ImageImage
The property has been described as "the nearest thing to a time capsule that the National Trust has ever received" and "a unique glimpse into family life in suburban Britain between the wars". The house is open to pre-booked tours for small parties of up to four people, with the "cosy" nature of the house limiting the number of people that can comfortably visit at any one time.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

rcperryls

Re: National Trust Bingo - First numbers up

Post by rcperryls »

I got both of these. Boscastle sounds sooooo interesting. I am going to be saving this thread for future reference. Did I tell you my sister and I are planning a trip across the pond next year? Or earlier? Not sure exactly where all in the UK we will be going and I'm so excited for this bingo. And now I'm 2/10 of the way there. To Bingo I mean.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Oh nice! I love home history (not actual history though). I've got Boscastle so I'm starting out well (in my opinion anyway)!

Keep up the great descriptions!
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Boscastle as well for me. So beautiful. Reminds me how there is so much of Britain I haven't explored!!!

Nxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
hularac

Post by hularac »