Let's Play Canadianisms Bingo

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Linda Rose

Let's Play Canadianisms Bingo

Post by Linda Rose »

Greetings Cross Stitch Friends.

It's time to play BINGO again! While we all know that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, if I asked you to meet me at the Parkade after work, would you know where to show up? While we all share a common language, there are words and phrases that are distinct to the particular corner of the world where we live. In this BINGO game, I will share 30 'Canadianisms' that have a distinct meaning to Canadians that you may or may not be familiar with. Do you have an equivalent word or phrase where you live? Let's find out.

Please pick 10 of the thirty options below. PM me your choices by the weekend. Play will begin Sunday, November 1st. A gift certificate to an online craft store, equivalent to US $15.00, will be awarded to the first person who PMs me verified winning numbers.

Ready, set, let's have fun!

Canadianisms

1 All Dressed
2 Boxing Day
3 Butter Tart
4 Canada Day
5 Chesterfield
6 Double Double
7 Eaves trough
8 Eh?
9 Freezies
10 Humidex
11 Keener
12 Loonie
13 Mickey
14 Molson Muscle
15 No-See-Ums
16 Pablum
17 Peameal Bacon
18 Poutine
19 Robertson Screw
20 RRSP
21 Runners
22 Serviette
23 Shinney
24 Snowbird
25 Timbit
26 Toboggan
27 Toonie
28 Tuque
29 Wicket
30 Zed
Linda
fccs

Re: Let's Play Canadianisms Bingo

Post by fccs »

I just PM'd my numbers. This looks like a fun one - come on, everyone, let's play BINGO. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I'm in. This one looks like lots of fun. There are a few expressions that I have seen and or heard, but have no idea if the meaning is the same so I am very curious to find out. Will be pming my picks by tomorrow. Having to think about it a bit. :thinks:

Bingo is fun and I hope we can get a lot of sign ups!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

I'm in on this one. Like Carole, I will need to mull my numbers over, but I'll pm them later. It looks as though it's going to be fun!
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Welcome to those who have decided to participate. So far they are

fccs (Debby)
rcperryls (Carole)
jocellogirl (Jo)

I do hope there are a few more who join in before we get going. It could be a great way to learn a little about the different ways we express ourselves in everyday life. Do not forget to pm your choices to me as soon as possible.

Off to lunch now - perhaps a quick stop at the ABM before I indulge in a donair.

Chew on that for a while. I will begin the Canadian explanation of the peculiar words tomorrow so that all can get an idea of what this BINGO game is all about.

Enjoy your day (or evening, or night as the case may be).

Linda
Linda
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Hi Linda Rose, did you not get my PM? I sent it a couple days ago.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Sent my list today

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Just pm'd my list
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

OK...let's get a taste for how this will play when we start the real game.

Meet me at the Parkade - in Canada, a multi-level parking garage

A quick trip to the ABM - an Automatic Banking Machine

Is this what you thought when you saw the terms in print? What do you call them where you live? I have an inquiring mind...I need to know!

I will likely give a few extra days for sign up before we begin. Please check back for updated details.

Thanks!
Linda
fccs

Post by fccs »

Bingo is fun and easy to play. Let's get more players - the more the merrier!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
chalicedhearts

Post by chalicedhearts »

I am in..cant wait to see how this one goes. Numbers sent.
Gary Zahn
WIP: The Accolade
Disney Cinderella Castle
Moonlight Cabin
Celtic Cross Storykeep
Power and Grace
fccs

Post by fccs »

Who feels lucky on this game? For all of you who have never played, I won on my very first game. Try it!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:Who feels lucky on this game? For all of you who have never played, I won on my very first game. Try it!

i did too!

Carole
:whoop:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Greetings everyone.

First off - my apologies to tiffstitch. I did indeed receive a pm from you with your numbers and I cannot understand how I missed it. When using my tablet I did not see it; on my computer it is clearly visible. I will be using my computer only for the duration of the game.

So so far we are:

fccs (Debby)
rcperryls (Carole)
jocellogirl (Jo)
cairee (Cairee)
tiffstitch (Tiffany)
chalicedhearts (Gary)

That's a great group of people for a game. However, I did say a few days ago that I would allow a few extra days for sign up (as a few of you have encouraged me to do so!). I will leave the game open to new players until Tuesday evening my time. Come Wednesday, we play! I will keep the game right here in this thread.

Please note that I will not have a specific time for posting the daily numbers - my life is just not that routine. It may happen before I leave for work some mornings (6:40 am), during my lunch hour, and quite possibly not until after dinnertime some evenings. Best of luck to all of you and to those who might join in yet.

Linda
Last edited by Linda Rose on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
fccs

Post by fccs »

I'm glad you extended the sign up time - hopefully more members will decide to play.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Good morning.

Welcome to opening day of Canadianisms BINGO – the place where you can learn fun, interesting and downright weird things about us Crazy Canucks. Here we go!

30. ZED
The 26th letter of the English alphabet. The Grammarist has this to say about the pronunciation of the letter Z: “ Zee is the American way of saying the letter Z. Zed is the British way. Neither is right or wrong, and nobody is ignorant for pronouncing Z the way they do.
The Zed pronunciation is older, and it more closely resembles the Greek letter, Zeta, from which the English letter is derived. And Zed is closer to other languages’ spelling and pronunciation of the letter; for instance, the French say Zède, German speakers say Zet, and Spanish speakers say Zeta. These are points in Zed‘s favor.

The U.S. pronunciation probably came about by analogy with the letters Bee, Cee, Dee, Gee, and so on. It was standard in American English by the 19th century, and it’s now so deeply ingrained that many Americans are unaware of the British pronunciation.

Australian and New Zealand English speakers usually say Zed. Canadians say both.”

NOTE: I learned Zed as a young girl in school; my grandchildren, though very much aware of the Zee pronunciation (Sesame Street, etc.), have been taught Zed at school and use it conversationally.

6. Double Double
Term used to describe how you take your coffee - two teaspoons of sugar and two creams. Preferably used in any Tim Horton’s location (apparently Canada’s favourite coffee and doughnut shop). A phrase so popular it was recently added to the Canadian Oxford Dictionary.
Last edited by Linda Rose on Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Good start! I picked expressions I'd never heard of and Zed wasn't hard to figure. Did pick Double double, so I'm 1/10 for a start. This is going to be one fun Bingo!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

I'm tied with Carole - 1 of 10 (I picked Zed).
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Good morning once again.

Here are today's winning numbers.

11. Keener
A Canadian slang term used to describe an individual eager to demonstrate knowledge or participate enthusiastically in school, church, seminars, etc. Like nerd, geek, brown-noser, smartypants, etc. but with more emphasis on willingness and enthusiasm, and less on social inadequacy, sycophancy, or natural ability.

17. Peameal Bacon
Peameal bacon, also known as cornmeal or Canadian bacon, is a type of back bacon made from lean boneless pork loin, trimmed fine, wet cured, and rolled in cornmeal. The name "peameal bacon" derives from the historic practice of rolling the cured and trimmed boneless loin in dried and ground yellow peas to extend shelf life. Since the end of World War II it has been rolled in ground yellow cornmeal.

Its development is credited to William Davis, a ham and bacon curer. William Davies was born in 1831 in Wallingford, England, and emigrated to Canada in 1854. Soon thereafter he set up a stall in Toronto's St. Lawrence Market, where he sold cured hams and bacon. The William Davies Company was a pork processing and packing company in Toronto, Canada. At one time, it was the largest pork packer in the British Empire, and it operated Canada's first major chain of food stores. One of Toronto's longstanding nicknames, "Hogtown", is attributable to the millions of pigs processed annually by the William Davies Company. The firm's products did extremely well in the British market and by the 1890s it was supplying over half of the entire Canadian bacon trade with Britain.

Peameal bacon sandwiches are considered a signature dish of Toronto's St. Lawrence Market to this day. The bacon is grilled in medium-sized slices until the centre is slightly rare and the cornmeal coating and external fat turns crisp, then served up with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise. A Google image search of peameal bacon will reward you with some mouth watering as well as amusing pictures.
Linda
chalicedhearts

Post by chalicedhearts »

Well I am 1/10 so far. This is pretty fun learning about all these Canadian words. Cant wait to hear more.
Gary Zahn
WIP: The Accolade
Disney Cinderella Castle
Moonlight Cabin
Celtic Cross Storykeep
Power and Grace