Christmas Bingo - Last two numbers up

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

jocellogirl

Christmas Bingo - Last two numbers up

Post by jocellogirl »

Welcome to Christmas Bingo.

As we are galloping towards December, I thought that a 'Seasonal' bingo theme would be appropriate.

Pick ten numbers from the 30 below and send your choices to me via PM. Sign up is until Monday 30th November and I'll get my girls to each pick a number out of the hat starting on Tuesday 1st December.
The winner is the first to pm me with BINGO and they will win a voucher for the stitchy retailer of their choice. The winner is duty-bound to host the next bingo and to provide the prize to the winner.

Here are the numbers:

1. Advent
2. Boxing Day
3. Carp
4. Christingle
5. Christmas Card
6. Christmas Crackers
7. Christmas Pudding
8. Christmas Tree
9. Christmas Tree Festival
10. Epiphany
11. Father Christmas
12. Frankfurt Christmas Market
13. Good King Wenceslas
14. Goose
15. King’s College Cambridge
16. Mince Pies
17. Mistletoe
18. Nativity
19. Nine Lessons and Carols
20. Operation Christmas Child
21. Pantomime
22. Presents
23. Queen’s Christmas Address
24. Robin
25. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
26. Stockings
27. The Nutcracker
28. Turkey
29. Wigilia
30. Yule Log

Hopefully that should help get us into the Festive Spirit! :snowman:

:shamrock: Best of luck to all :shamrock:
Last edited by jocellogirl on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
rcperryls

Re: Christmas Bingo - Sign up until 30th November

Post by rcperryls »

I'm in!! Will be sending my last via pm later today! Great subject for Bingo!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

I'm in - I just sent you my numbers. I hope we get a lot of players - it's so fun!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
cairee

Post by cairee »

sent in my numbers. This should be fun!
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Just giving this one a gentle nudge.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

chalicedhearts

Post by chalicedhearts »

I will be joining this one..will PM my numbers later on today.
Gary Zahn
WIP: The Accolade
Disney Cinderella Castle
Moonlight Cabin
Celtic Cross Storykeep
Power and Grace
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Just sent my numbers! I hope we'll get more members to play. New members should know there have been quite a few first time players who have won. I won the first time I played and hosting a game is pretty easy too.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
salome

Post by salome »

I'll bite! Fingers crossed I'll remember to check in daily... Sending my PM shortly! :dance:
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote: I hope we'll get more members to play. New members should know there have been quite a few first time players who have won. I won the first time I played and hosting a game is pretty easy too.

Carole
I was also a first time winner. I've hosted two games and it's not at all scary. Not only is playing BINGO fun, it's also a good way to learn more about the host/hostess as well as the other players. Come on, let's play.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Count me in. I will be traveling quite a bit in early December but hopefully will remember to check in every once in a while.

I, too, played for the first time and won. So don't be shy if you haven't joined before. Your odds are very good!
Linda
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Three more days to sign up for the bingo!

Players so far:
fccs
cairee
rcperryls
salome
chalicedhearts

Feel free to sign up. The more that we have playing, the more exciting the game :lol:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Finally got my numbers to Jo. Looks like we will have lots of fun!
Linda
Weedaisy

Post by Weedaisy »

Sounds like fun, I'm pming today. :)
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Linda Rose and weedaisy have been added to the list of those playing. This is your last chance to sign up. Numbers will be drawn tomorrow :)
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

fccs

Post by fccs »

I hope we get a few more (or a lot more) players, but yay! Bring it on!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Ok folks. Tiffstitch was a last minute addition to the Bingo, so we have eight players.
The girls have drawn the first numbers which are:

2. Boxing Day

Boxing Day is a holiday traditionally celebrated the day following Christmas Day, when servants and tradesmen would receive gifts, known as a "Christmas box", from their bosses or employers. Today, Boxing Day is the bank holiday that generally takes place on 26 December.
In South Africa, Boxing Day was renamed Day of Goodwill in 1994. Due to the Roman Catholic Church's liturgical calendar, the day is known as St. Stephen's Day to Catholics, as well as in Italy, Finland, and Alsace and Moselle in France. It is also known as both St. Stephen's Day and the Day of the Wren or Wren's Day in Ireland. In some European countries, most notably Germany, Poland, Belgium, the Netherlands and those in Scandinavia, 26 December is celebrated as the Second Christmas Day.
In Britain, it was a custom for tradespeople to collect "Christmas boxes" of money or presents on the first weekday after Christmas as thanks for good service throughout the year. This custom is linked to an older English tradition: since they would have to wait on their masters on Christmas Day, the servants of the wealthy were allowed the next day to visit their families. The employers would give each servant a box to take home containing gifts, bonuses and sometimes leftover food.
The European tradition, which has long included giving money and other gifts to those who were needy and in service positions, has been dated to the Middle Ages, but the exact origin is unknown. It is believed to be in reference to the Alms Box placed in areas of worship to collect donations to the poor. Also, it may come from a custom in the late Roman/early Christian era, wherein metal boxes placed outside churches were used to collect special offerings tied to the Feast of Saint Stephen, which in the Western Church falls on the same day as Boxing Day
In the UK, Canada, and some states of Australia, Boxing Day is primarily known as a shopping holiday, much like Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) in the United States. Boxing Day sales are common in Canada. It is a time when shops have sales, often with dramatic price reductions. Many retailers open very early (typically 5 am or even earlier) and offer doorbuster deals and loss leaders to draw people to their stores. It is not uncommon for long queues to form early in the morning of 26 December, hours before the opening of shops holding the big sales, especially at big-box consumer electronics retailers. Many stores have a limited quantity of big draw or deeply discounted items. Because of the shoulder-to-shoulder crowds, many choose to stay home and avoid the hectic shopping experience. The local media often cover the event, mentioning how early the shoppers began queuing up, providing video of shoppers queuing and later leaving with their purchased items. Many retailers have implemented practices aimed at managing large numbers of shoppers. They may limit entrances, restrict the number of patrons in a store at a time, provide tickets to people at the head of the queue to guarantee them a hot ticket item or canvass queued-up shoppers to inform them of inventory limitations.
In the United Kingdom, it is traditional for the football (soccer) Premier League (England), Scottish Premiership (Scotland) and NIFL Premiership (Northern Ireland), as well as the lower divisions and rugby leagues, to hold a full programme of football and rugby union matches on Boxing Day. Traditionally, matches on Boxing Day are played against local rivals. This was originally to avoid teams and their fans having to travel a long distance to an away game on the day after Christmas Day. It also makes the day an important one in the sporting calendar. In Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, much anticipated cricket Test matches are played on Boxing Day. Prior to the formation of leagues, a number of important rugby fixtures took place on Boxing Day notably Llanelli v London Welsh and Leicester v The Barbarians.
In horse racing, there is the King George VI Chase at Kempton Park Racecourse in Surrey. It is the second most prestigious chase in Britain, after the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
Boxing Day is one of the main days in the hunting calendar for hunts in the UK and US, with most hunts (both mounted foxhound or harrier packs and foot packs of beagles or bassets) holding meets, often in town or village centres.

22. Presents

One of the main reasons we have the custom of giving and receiving presents at Christmas, is to remind us of the presents given to Jesus by the Wise Men: Frankincense, Gold and Myrrh.
• Frankincense was a perfume used in Jewish worship and, as a gift, it showed that people would worship Jesus.
• Gold was associated with Kings and Christians believe that Jesus is the King of Kings.
• Myrrh was a perfume that was put on dead bodies to make them smell nice and, as a gift, it showed that Jesus would suffer and die.
All over the world, families and friends give presents to each other. Most children around the world believe in a Christmas gift bringer. It's often St. Nicholas, Santa Claus or Father Christmas, but in Germany they believe that it is the Christkind, in Spain they believe it is the Wise Men and in Italy they believe it is an old lady called Befana.
These presents are also left in different places. In most of Europe, the presents are left in shoes or boots put out by the children. In Italy, the UK and the USA presents are left in stockings, often left hanging by a fire place (but more about that at a later date!) In many countries, presents for friends and family may be left under the Christmas Tree (more about that at a later date too!!) In the UK, they are often opened on Christmas day morning with all the family together.
Presents are opened on different days over the world as well. The earliest presents are opened is on St. Nicholas' Eve on December 5th when children in Holland often receive their presents. On St. Nicholas' Day (6th December) children in Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic and some other European countries open some of their presents.
Children in the UK, USA and many other countries, such as Japan, open their presents on Christmas Day, December 25th. The latest presents are opened on January 6th (a month after the earliest). This is known as Epiphany (more about that later, see above!) and is mainly celebrated in Catholic countries such Spain and Mexico.
One popular way of giving presents in groups such as clubs, school classes and workplaces is to have a 'Secret Santa'. This is where you pull the name of someone else in the group out of a hat (or other container!). You then buy a present for that person. When the presents are given out (often at a Christmas party) each person is given their present but they have no idea which person in the group bought it for them!
We on the forum have our very own Stashmas. How appropriate that today is Stashmas Day!!
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

cairee

Re: Christmas Bingo - First numbers are up

Post by cairee »

one for me! a fine start

1/10
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

none for me, but the information was interesting and while I knew some about Boxing Day, not in all that detail. So I won't make a :( face for being 0/10 because of that and because I can't make a :( face on Stashmas Day. :lol:

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
salome

Post by salome »

1/10 for me! A good start considering this is my first bingo. :D

Loved reading more about Boxing Day. I'd heard of it thanks to my love for Regency-era romances, but it's always lovely to learn more! Also, Happy Stashmas everyone!
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Second numbers are up:

12. Frankfurt Christmas Market

Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market and Craft Market, now having run for over a decade, has become a massive favourite with both residents and visitors to the city from all over the UK and Europe. With over 180 stalls, we claim it as the largest outdoor Christmas Market in the Britain, and is the centrepiece of the city’s annual Christmas events calendar.
The market is on for nearly six weeks and, while some residents and city businesses might groan about the disruption to normal activity that it causes over that period, it means those who do want to visit the market have plenty of time - and can go there again and again if they love the event.
Among the products on sale are handmade gifts, including ceramics, candles, glasswork, jewellery and Christmas decorations. Rock crystal lamps and chocolate scissors are among the more unusual items you will find.
A number of stalls also feature traditional German items such as wooden toys, nativity scenes and marionettes.
Visitors are also able to sample the delights of German mulled wine (gluhwein), bratwursts (grilled sausages), weissbier (German wheat beer) and, for those with a sweet tooth, gingerbread and marzipan sweets. German Bratwurst (white or red sausage) and Brezel are traditional German foods and are famous throughout the world. How the Bratwurst is served varies by region, but it is commonly served with a Brötchen (roll). The Brezel is type of bread and is particularly famous in South Germany and Austria. German speakers also call it "Laugenbrezel”
There's also mulled cider, hot chocolate, giant deep-fried onions, Berliner doughnuts (they don't have a hole in the middle), reindeer burgers and marshmallow cables. In addition, a range of traditional German breads and pastries are baked fresh on site each day.
There are plenty of things that appeal to youngsters, including stalls of toys and sweets, a carousel, Chris the singing moose and all the sparkling lights and decorations.

18. Nativity

The Nativity refers to the accounts of the birth of Jesus in the gospels of Luke and Matthew.
The canonical gospels of Luke and Matthew both describe Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, to a virgin mother. In the Gospel of Luke account, Joseph and Mary travel from Nazareth to Bethlehem for the census, and Jesus is born there and laid in a manger. Angels proclaim him a saviour for all people, and shepherds come to adore him. In the Matthew account, astronomers follow a star to Bethlehem to bring gifts to Jesus, born the King of the Jews. King Herod orders the massacre of all the boys less than two years old in Bethlehem, but the family flees to Egypt and later settles in Nazareth.
Here is a vicar retelling the story in his own way
Andhere is a typical (or not so typical) school / church production which are staged across the country every year.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason