FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Mags has won!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Linda Rose

FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Mags has won!

Post by Linda Rose »

Dear Competitors,

At long last we are ready to start our next BINGO! The prize up for grabs is the equivalent of US $15.00 gift certificate for your favourite on line craft store. Winner hosts and provides a prize for the next BINGO with the subject of their choice. I will give one week to sign up, with the first numbers revealed Thursday, April 7th.

I have taken Cairee's advice and Posted about the BINGO! in the general section, hoping to attract a few new players. For that reason I will extend the sign up time to Tuesday, April 12th and will reveal the first numbers Thursday, April 14th.

FOLLOW THAT THREAD! will have us take an historic look at embroidery/cross stitch and some of the tools of the trade. Please select your ten numbers and send them to me via personal messaging. Please note that some of the links for references will not be given until the end of the game because they are used for multiple terms and I simply cannot have you peeking ahead! Good luck to all!

1. 1524
2. 1804
3. 1890
4. 628,296
5. 5000BC - 500AD
6. Aida
7. Assisi Embroidery
8. Bayeux Tapestry
9. Caherine of Aragon
10. Cross stitch
11. Danish Method
12. Embroidery
13. Frau Witich
14. Hardanger
15. Jane Bostocke
16. Loara Standish
17. Marcus Bourne Huish
18. Mercerized cotton
19. Needlepoint
20. Needles/Tapestry Needle
21. Penelope
22. Sampler
23. Tambour Frame
24. T'ang Dynasty
25. TENUI FILO MAGNUM TEXITUR OPUS
26. The Moors
27. The Red Revolution
28. Therese de Dillmont
29. Thread
30. US1504917 A
Last edited by Linda Rose on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Linda
fccs

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD! BINGO

Post by fccs »

My numbers have been PM'd to you. (It was a bit of an ordeal as it seems the site is having issues again.) Your game sounds very interesting - I hope you get lots and lots of players.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I'm in! Numbers to you tomorrow! Sounds like fun!!! The more,the merrier!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:cry: So Sorry Linda Rose.
I can't play your game this time! I shall be in the UK next week. It's my Grandson's 13th Birthday and even the temptation of your interesting topic can't keep me from that!

Good luck, I hope you have lots of entrants. :shamrock:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Numbers sent!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

We now have five players signed up:

Debby
Carole
Cairee
Mags
Jocellogirl

Always happy to have more.

Thanks
Last edited by Linda Rose on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
cairee

Post by cairee »

Linda Rose wrote:
If there is a way to let more members know about the game, please let me know. I do believe the more, the merrier!

Thanks
try announcing the theme for this bingo in general, that is a far more frequented area of the forum :)
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Good morning Ladies.

As edited in original Post, I did announce Bingo in general. No one has even viewed the Post. Perhaps we have become too fancy here? I know I am guilty! If there is a way to delete the general post I will. If I hear back from all 3 of you that you are ready to play, I will begin the game as soon as possible. As a bonus, I will provide a runner up prize for second and third place. Let me know what you think.

Linda
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Good morning to you Linda! I don't know why Bingo doesn't get much attention now. I do think you do not need to give runner up prizes. I'm thinking about what we might do to get more attention. :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: Participation goes up and down in many activities (I'm thinking about Stashmas also) kind of like a roller coaster, I've noticed. I think sometimes its not the playing of the game, its the thought of running the next Bingo that people are avoiding. If you win, you need to come up with a topic. Thoughts??

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Well I'm jolly well going to join in. I'll pm my numbers right now :lol:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
mags

Post by mags »

Oh go on I'll play too. :D Can I do my numbers later today if it is still going ahead?

My reasons for not having played for some time and some of these may apply to others:

I don't really neeeeeed any more stash :shifty:

The work involved in running a bingo (although it needn't be as involved as some people do, I'm sure that just numbers without any reference stuff would be acceptable, if not so interesting)

And of course the cost of providing a prize, although I seem to remember we used to provide a prize from our own stash which, if acceptable, would be more attractive to some members as they would not have to outlay some money which they perhaps could not afford.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mags,
I don't think there is any reason why a prize could not come from some one's stash. I know that the first time I won Bingo I got some lovely threads and a small kit which I think was from Agi's stash. (Always remember that first Bingo win). I think that gift certificates became popular so that people could choose something to their own liking. We can certainly review that. How this game works is wide open for suggestions and ideas. It's our Bingo so we can do with it pretty much what we want as long as we don't break any laws :roll: (If you lived in South Carolina you would know why I said that :P )

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

mags wrote:
My reasons for not having played for some time and some of these may apply to others:

I don't really neeeeeed any more stash :shifty:

The work involved in running a bingo (although it needn't be as involved as some people do, I'm sure that just numbers without any reference stuff would be acceptable, if not so interesting)

And of course the cost of providing a prize, although I seem to remember we used to provide a prize from our own stash which, if acceptable, would be more attractive to some members as they would not have to outlay some money which they perhaps could not afford.
I think those are pretty valid reasons, but easily overcome. :-) If the player who wins doesn't need any stash and the prize was a gift certificate, they can always buy something for someone else - or buy needles or practical things instead of stash. And if the prize is something from the host's stash, it can be kept as a lovely reminder of a fun game (until put to use).

I felt a bit nervous about the first Bingo I hosted, but you're right, it doesn't have to be a super involved game. Simplicity is good, too. And as for the prize, if it comes from stash the only expense to the host is postage. Sometimes postage can be expensive, so there's always an option of saying the prize is stash if it is mailed within the host's own country and an e-certificate if it would have to be mailed internationally and the postage would be more than the prize value. Does that make sense?

All that said, I hope we get more players because Bingo really is fun. I'm glad I finally played - I watched a few games before getting up the nerve to join in. What got me hooked was the fact that the players seemed to be having fun as the daily numbers were posted, sharing their success (or lack thereof) each day and commenting on the daily picks.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

All good points ladies. I am relatively new to the Bingo games. I won my first game and did not look too far back at other games so I don't think I was aware how simple they could be. However, it was fun to share some unique things about my country and members did seem to enjoy themselves. I have equally enjoyed visiting other members' bookshelves, states etc.

I chose a gift certificate the first time I hosted because it is easy and I though it would give the winner an opportunity to buy anything they wanted - more special or regular supplies, or even getting to something more expensive a little faster because of their win. I offered a runner up prize that first game because my two winners were on opposite sides of an ocean and pm'd me within minutes of each other. It was a personal choice I made and perhaps it would not be as easy for some to make/afford that choice. I offered runner up prizes this time because I have finally been able to purchase a fabric that I have been hunting down for more than two years. I had to purchase more than I needed because of cutting restrictions and have simply decided to share it this way. Again a personal choice and maybe that is too much for others to consider.

It has been a bit more difficult finding a subject the second time around. I won only because the first winner bowed out. I hope it was not because the game or prize was too difficult to come up with. But maybe we should pay attention to that scenario (playing until you win, then declining). I definitely felt the pressure to come up with more than just 30 words given the games that have been played more recently. However, it is definitely tuned down from my last hosting.

I would hope that we could play in a way that allows all to participate. This was just adding my 2 cents worth (from a country that doesn't even have a cent/penny coin anymore)!
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

By the way, since we have had two more members join the game today I guess I am obliged - delightfully so - to stick with our revised start date, which is Thursday, April 14th.. Talk to you all then if not sooner.

Linda
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Just a reminder that there are only 3 days left to sign up for the latest BINGO! game. We would be delighted to have you join us!
Linda
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD! BINGO Day 1 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

Dear Competitors,

So here we go with Day 1 Picks. Enjoy! Best of luck to all!

12 Embroidery

A) The word Embroidery comes from the Anglo-Saxon word for "edge", but the technique itself was being used long before that. The term was first applied to decoratively stitched borders on medieval church vestments. But over time it came to cover all stitched decoration on any textile fabric.

B) Embroidery is the handicraft of decorating fabric or other materials with needle and thread or yarn. Embroidery may also incorporate other materials such as metal strips, pearls, beads, quills, and sequins. Embroidery is most often used on caps, hats, coats, blankets, dress shirts, denim, stockings, and golf shirts. Embroidery is available with a wide variety of thread or yarn color.

The basic techniques or stitches on surviving examples of the earliest embroidery—chain stitch, buttonhole or blanket stitch, running stitch, satin stitch, cross stitch—remain the fundamental techniques of hand embroidery today.

27 The Red Revolution

The " Red Revolution " started during the 17th century with the arrival in Europe of new natural, cheap and easy to use dyes coming from America and allowing the dying of strands in red. For a time, all the cross-stitch works became red on a white cloth.
Last edited by Linda Rose on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
fccs

Post by fccs »

Interesting! And yay for me - I'm 1/10.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
mags

Post by mags »

None for me today.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

none for me, but I am going to love this subject!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat