Bingo - stitching and watching - and the winner is...

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - Day 4

Post by fccs »

Are you ready for more numbers?

1 - Bobby

Synopsis:
In 1968 the lives of a retired doorman (Anthony Hopkins), hotel manager (William H. Macy), lounge singer (Demi Moore), busboy (Freddy Rodriguez), beautician (Sharon Stone) and others intersect in the wake of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.

I really enjoy historical (or history based) movies and this one is no exception. And this is history that is very close to me. In 1968, I was an impressionable teenager and my friends and I helped on the Kennedy campaign, doing important things like stuffing envelopes with pot holders and bumper stickers, and putting up campaign posters. I think we all have been asked the question, "Where were you when (fill in important event)?" If the event is Bobby Kennedy's assassination, my answer is I was there. I was in the Ambassador Hotel, but on a different floor (where the less important volunteers were gathered).

14 - Mad Men

Synopsis:
Mad Men is set primarily in the 1960s, initially at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on Madison Avenue in New York City, and later at the newly created firm, Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce (later Sterling Cooper & Partners). The plot focuses on the business of the agencies as well as the personal lives of the characters, regularly depicting the changing moods and social mores of the United States through the 1960s. The show begins in 1960 and moves through November 1970 by the conclusion of Season 7.

Throughout its run, Mad Men received widespread critical acclaim for its writing, acting, and historical authenticity; it has won many awards, including 16 Emmys and five Golden Globes. The show was also the first basic cable series to receive the Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series, winning in each of its first four seasons.

As someone who grew up in the 60's and 70's, I can relate to a lot of what took place - not the advertising side of the story, but the historical events, music, dress, and so much more. It seems everyone smoked and drank, both at and after work - and apparently everyone was "doing" someone. (I was a kid then - I don't know about any of that!) Many episodes show the frailty of the human condition, and how people will sell themselves or others out to succeed. Despite that, I have the entire series - it's great for binge watching.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - Day Four

Post by rcperryls »

Still at 1/10 but love this topic anyway! My sister was married at the Ambassador Hotel, right before it was demolished many years ago. And I too remember the earlier events. It was the end of my sophomore year in college. Like you said one of those events that
fccs wrote:"Where were you when (fill in important event)?"
is asked and people who were around, usually can answer.

Mad Men is a series I also watched. Speaking of the 60's and 70's, it brought back all kinds of memories, especially about the social norms of the day. Since I could write a novel length post about that I won't, but the picks today have definitely reminded me that my long term memory is very very good! Now if I can remember where I put things today, I will be very happy :roll:

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - Day Four

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote: Now if I can remember where I put things today, I will be very happy :roll:

Carole
:tizzy:
@rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - Day FIVE

Post by fccs »

Here are two more numbers:

11 - Take Care of Business

Synopsis:
After winning tickets to the World Series, Jimmy Dworski (James Belushi) walks out of his minimum security prison and starts hitchhiking to the big game. While in an airport, he discovers a leather datebook that belongs to Spencer Barnes (Charles Grodin), a wealthy corporate businessman who's just been dumped by his wife. At first, Jimmy wants to return it for a reward, but, when he realizes it's filled with credit cards, he decides to hold on to it for just a little longer.

Belushi and Grodin are so good in this move, funny and sometimes understated. It's not entirely about baseball, but the baseball scenes were filmed at Angel Stadium. My son and and I just happened to be at the Angels game the day the movie scenes were filmed (between innings) and it was so much fun. We (the crowd) were basically extras in the movie, and were told when to cheer, when to stand, etc. One of the cameras was right next to us and it was pretty cool to watch the cameraman do his thing. It was a fun day and it is a fun movie.

17 - The Bob Newhart Show

Synopsis:
The show centers on Robert Hartley, Ph.D. (Newhart), a Chicago psychologist. It divides most of its action between the character's work and his home life, with Hartley's supportive, although occasionally sarcastic, wife Emily (Suzanne Pleshette), and their friendly but inept neighbor, airline navigator Howard Borden (Bill Daily). At the medical office where Hartley had his psychology practice are Jerry Robinson, D.D.S. (Peter Bonerz), an orthodontist who also has a practice on the floor, and their receptionist, Carol Kester (Marcia Wallace), as well as a number of other doctors who appear occasionally. Most of the situations involve Newhart's character playing straight man to his wife, colleagues, friends, and patients. A frequent running gag on the show is an extension of Newhart's stand-up comedy routines, where Newhart played one side of a telephone conversation, the other side of which is not heard. In a nod to this, for the first two seasons, the episodes opened with Bob answering the telephone by saying "Hello?".

Bob Newhart is wonderfully funny, and this show was perfect for showing off his dry humor. (I love Newhart's stand up routines - he's funny without being over the top, or suggestive, or potty-mouthed. Since most of the humor is spoken rather than physical, it's a great series to watch while stitching because you won't miss much when staring at your stitching instead of the tv.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - Day FIVE - 9/18

Post by wendywombat »

3/10 now! I'm enjoying reading the synopses. I have to confess that I picked my numbers at random except for a couple I either new of had seen. :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

2/10 with Bob Newhart! I loved that show. I love Bob Newhart! He's not in the tv series The Librarians but was in the first 3 made for tv movies which the show spinned off from. The movies (and tv show) are lots of fun, and Bob Newhart in the movies is wonderfully Bob Newhart!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote:2/10 with Bob Newhart! I loved that show. I love Bob Newhart! He's not in the tv series The Librarians but was in the first 3 made for tv movies which the show spinned off from. The movies (and tv show) are lots of fun, and Bob Newhart in the movies is wonderfully Bob Newhart!!

Carole
I remember him in the Librarians - and have you seen him in The Big Bang Theory? So funny, so Newhart.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:have you seen him in The Big Bang Theory?
No, that's not one of the shows I watch, though my son loves it! I do remember seeing him in an episode of NCIS quite a few years ago. Not as a comedian, though, but an amazing performance.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - day SIX - 9/19

Post by fccs »

Next two numbers are...

9 - The Sandlot

Synopsis:
: When Scottie Smalls (Thomas Guiry) moves to a new neighborhood, he manages to make friends with a group of kids who play baseball at the sandlot. Together they go on a series of funny and touching adventures. The boys run into trouble when Smalls borrows a ball from his stepdad that gets hit over a fence.

This is one of my all time favorite movies! I absolutely love it! It's about baseball and friendship and growing up and simpler times. If you've not seen the movie, all I can say is, "You're killing me Smalls!" :lol: ( :D

19 - The Mighty Ducks

Synopsis:
There are three movies in this series. The first, The Mighty Ducks: After being pulled over for drunk driving, attorney Gordon Bombay (Emilio Estevez) is sentenced to community service, coaching hockey. There, he meets the "District 5" peewee hockey team, perennial losers who finish at the bottom of the league standings year after year. They are shut out every game and lose by at least five goals. The second, D2 The Mighty Ducks: Inspired by his own players, Bombay decides to try out in the minor leagues and becomes the star player for the fictional Minnehaha Waves, with an easy pathway to the NHL. After a career-ending knee injury, he is offered a chance to coach a team representing the United States in the Junior Goodwill Games. For this, he reunites his Ducks and introduces them to five new players from across the country to form Team USA. The third, D3 The Mighty Ducks: The movie shifts focus from Bombay to protégé Charlie Conway (Joshua Jackson). Charlie and his teammates are awarded scholarships to Eden Hall Academy (a fictitious name from crossing Southwestern suburb Eden Prairie, Cretin-Derham Hall, and Saint Thomas Academy), a prestigious Minnesota high school Bombay attended. Their arrival is met with hostility from the varsity team (mainly consisting of players who are members of rich families, whose younger siblings were not accepted to the academy to make room for the Ducks), as well as Bombay's hand-picked successor, Ted Orion (Jeffrey Nordling), whose emphasis on defensive two-way hockey irks Charlie. Not wanting to be on a team led by Orion, who he believes to be a washed-up former professional player, Charlie leaves the team, but rejoins as he learns the truth about Orion from Bombay.

These are just three, feel good Disney movies and I love them. Part of the second movie was filmed at the Pond (then called the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim - now it's the Honda Center - but to those of us who were there when it was built, it will always be just the Pond.) My friend and I took our sons to the filming of the scenes in the Pond - it was a long day but so much fun. We were fed sandwiches and pizza and sodas and water, and we cheered on command. :lol:

And f you didn't know, the NHL team the Anaheim Ducks was founded by the Walt Disney Company and was originally named for the first movie. The name was changed before the 2006 season from The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to the Anaheim Ducks (after the team had been sold).
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - 7th Day - 9/20

Post by fccs »

Next two are:

13 - Everwood

Synopsis
: World-renowned brain surgeon Dr. Andrew Brown finds his life changed forever after his wife dies. He leaves glamorous Manhattan and his prosperous medical practice for the idyllic small town of Everwood, Colo. -- which he chooses because of his late wife's emotional attachment to the town -- taking his two kids, Delia and Ephram, with him. The show revolves around the family's relationships as they adjust to small-town life and the kids' relationships with their peers, both as friends and in the dating world.

I watched this show when it was on tv and was sad when it ended after four seasons. It's one of those shows in which the characters almost become friends (or enemies) and you really start to care about them. This is one of my favorite binge watching tv series. It's quiet, it has good acting, it has stories most can identify with in some way, and it deals with love and friendship and everyday life.

24 - The West Wing

Synopsis:
Cutthroat presidential advisers get their personal lives hopelessly tangled up with professional duties as they try to conduct the business of running a country. Fictional Democratic President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet suffers no fools, and that policy alienates many. He and his dedicated staffers struggle to balance the needs of the country with the political realities of Washington, D.C., working through two presidential terms that include countless scandals, threats and political scuffles, as well as the race to succeed Bartlet as the leader of the free world.

This is just my opinion, of course, but The West Wing is one of the best tv shows ever. The cast, headlined by Martin Sheen, is phenomenal. The writing is intelligent. The stories will make think, and often make you cry. It's another show great for binge watching - but you might lose track of time.

It's the creation of Aaron Sorkin, a brilliant writer and producer. If you've watched his other shows (Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and Sports Night), you will see the same intelligent, fast-paced dialogue. And if you've not seen any of those or heard of him, you probably have at least heard of his play, A Few Good Men. (He also co-wrote the screenplay for Moneyball.)

And given that this is an election year here in the US, wouldn't it be interesting if we had a Jed Bartlet running?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - 9/20 - Day Seven

Post by rcperryls »

3/10 now. But now I have some new movies to consider so its all good!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
wendywombat

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - 9/20 - Day Seven

Post by wendywombat »

4/10 for me.

So interesting reading about things I've never seen! :D
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - Day 8 - 9/21

Post by fccs »

Okay, back from a baseball game and time for two more Bingo numbers. (And if you're interested, the Rockies won 11-1 over the Cards.)

15 - The Dick Van Dyke Show

Synopsis:
Considered to be one of television's classics, "The Dick Van Dyke Show" centers on the personal and professional lives Rob Petrie, a writer on the fictional Alan Brady Show. He's happily married to former dancer Laura, and they have a young son, Ritchie. The plots generally revolve around problems at work -- where Rob got into various comedic jams with fellow writers Buddy Sorrell, Sally Rogers and producer Mel Cooley -- or at home.

This show is as funny now as it was when it was first on in the early 60's. Dick Van Dyke is always funny, Mary Tyler Moore is so sweet (oh, Rob!!), and the rest of the cast is equally talented. One of my favorite recurring characters is Rob's brother, Stacey ("a quiet, shy, man – is prone to episodes of sleepwalking, during which he becomes, literally, the banjo-playing life of the party, and calls his brother Rob "Burford""), played by Dick Van Dyke's real brother, Jerry. And one of my favorite episodes is "That's My Boy??" when Rob thought they brought the wrong baby home from the hospital. Hilarious! Of course, it was also fun watching the opening, wondering if Dick Van Dyke would or would not trip over the ottoman.

26 - Doctor Who

Synopsis:
"Doctor Who" is a classic science-fiction series with a cult following. The Doctor is called a "Time Lord," a time-traveling scientist from a far off planet who travels through time and space in a ship known by the acronym TARDIS (a machine that is larger on the inside than the outside and is supposed to change its appearance based on its surroundings). The Doctor is also able to evolve his biology, so he appears as many different people throughout the series. The Doctor loves Earth, so he makes many trips here to save the planet, or to enlist earthlings to help him with tasks in the galaxy.

It seems a bit silly to put a synopsis of Doctor Who here because it is this very forum that got me hooked on the Doctor, who makes a very nice stitching companion. :-) (See what I did there?)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - 9/21 - 8th Day

Post by rcperryls »

:whoop: 1/2 way there! Got both of those! Really enjoying this!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - 9/22 - NINTH DAY

Post by fccs »

Okay, peeps, here come the numbers for the ninth day...

23 - The Hundred Foot Journey

Synopsis:
Hassan Kadam (Manish Dayal) is an extraordinarily talented and largely self-taught culinary novice. When he and his family are displaced from their native India and settle in a quaint French village, they decide to open an Indian eatery. However, Madame Mallory (Helen Mirren), the proprietress of an acclaimed restaurant just 100 feet away, strongly objects. War erupts between the two establishments, until Mallory recognizes Kadam's impressive epicurean gifts and takes him under her wing.

When I went to the theatre to see this, I was pretty sure I'd like it but when I left, I knew I would have to add it to my DVD collection. The acting is good (how can Mirren be anything but fantastic) and there is a lesson to be learned. (I wonder if concession sales in theatres increase when movies about food are shown.) Is the movie predictable? Absolutely. Is it a bit sentimental? Of course. Then why do I love it? Because it's sentimental and predictable, and it makes me feel good.

30 - Maid in Manhattan

Synopsis:
The story of Marisa Ventura (Jennifer Lopez), a single mother born and bred in the boroughs of New York City, who works as a maid in a first-class Manhattan hotel. By a twist of fate and mistaken identity, Marisa meets Christopher Marshall (Ralph Fiennes), heir to a political dynasty, who believes that she is a guest at the hotel. Fate steps in and throws the pair together for a magical night of romance. When Marisa's true identity is revealed, the two find that they are worlds apart.

This is another movie I watched every time I found it on cable and when I saw it on sale, I bought it. I'm a sucker for romantic comedies (in additional to baseball movies :D ) and this one is easy to watch (or listen to) as I stitch. There's not a lot of substance to it, but sometimes I just want to be entertained, you know?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

5/10 for me too! :shock:

Hundred Foot Journey is one we have on our shelves!! :D Love it...apart from Helen Mirren's Dreadful French accent!! :doh: She's one of the Greats though....everything she does is worth watching...and Manish Dayal is brilliant too!
fccs

Post by fccs »

wendywombat wrote:5/10 for me too! :shock:

Hundred Foot Journey is one we have on our shelves!! :D Love it...apart from Helen Mirren's Dreadful French accent!! :doh:

@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Still at 5/10. Haven't seen the movies but it is hard to picture Helen Mirren with a French accent! I might have to see it just for that! :lol: :lol:

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

rcperryls wrote:Still at 5/10. Haven't seen the movies but it is hard to picture Helen Mirren with a French accent! I might have to see it just for that! :lol: :lol:

Carole
It's one of those "feel good " movies. Certainly worth watching.
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - Day 10 - 9/23

Post by fccs »

Two more - today is feel good movie day, apparently.

5 - Tortilla Soup

Synopsis:
Three grown sisters, Maribel (Tamara Mello), Leticia (Elizabeth Peña) and Carmen (Jacqueline Obradors) try to cope and live with their father Martin (Héctor Elizondo) ; a veteran chef who is slowly losing his sense of taste. Martin has one simple rule: be at home for Sunday dinner and attendance is both mandatory and non-negotiable. A rift in the family develops when the sisters develop relationships and an obnoxious woman (Raquel Welch) sets her sights on Martin's affections.

This one didn't get very good ratings or reviews, but I like it. It's a fun story about family - and food, but mainly family. I'm a big Hector Elizondo fan, so that's a bonus. I've seen it so many times I barely after to glance at the screen when I'm stitching. Another bonus.

29 - While You Were Sleeping

Synopsis:
Lonely transit worker Lucy (Sandra Bullock) pulls her longtime crush, Peter (Peter Gallagher), from the path of an oncoming train. At the hospital, doctors report that he's in a coma, and a misplaced comment from Lucy causes Peter's family to assume that she is his fiancée. When Lucy doesn't correct them, they take her into their home and confidence. Things get even more complicated when she finds herself falling for Peter's sheepish brother, Jack (Bill Pullman).

Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman - it was pretty much a given I'd like this one. It's funny and sweet and I'm entertained every time I watch it. This movie is like comfort food to me. I can watch it and I know I'll feel better at the end.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends