Mabel's designs 2023

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Mabel Figworthy

Mabel's designs 2023

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

My 2022 thread was probably the shortest one for many a year :shock: - here's hoping this one will run to more pages.

I've done a little bit to finish the small autumnal Hannah Dunnett tree, some of it was unpicking as I wanted vermicelli couching for the filling around the solid swirls but it doesn't work on this particular tree, so I've gone for scattered French knots:

And some work on the slightly larger Do-Pea on wool fabric:

Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Re: Mabel's designs 2023

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
I am sooo happy to see your designs and beautiful stitching of those designs again! They have been missed. Here’s hoping that this tread goes on for pages and pages and pages. I can’t wait to see what you do next!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

What a beautiful colourful tree!

I think the French Knots are perfect in the spaces around the swirls.

How lovely to see Do-Pea having another outing :wave: Hello again Do-Pea.

With your talents Mabel I'm sure the number of pages will grow and grow and grow.

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Your tree is grand -- the french knots are just the thing.

As for Do-pea... I love the way that you have turned the laid and couched stitches at 90 degrees. Gives texture. Are you going to go full-Tanya and add embroidery over the top?
Mabel Figworthy

The credit for the direction of the laid work goes entirely to the original Bayeux stitcher who came up with this curious creature :D No, I won't do any "overstitching", I'm keeping him simple; he isn't dopey for nothing...
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Roland

Post by Roland »

Your work is exquisite.
Mabel Figworthy

I've got a finish but I'm not allowed to show it yet - but I'm so pleased to have made it by the deadline that I just wanted to mention it :D
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
fccs

Post by fccs »

Getting something by the deadline is worth sharing. :-) I love seeing your work - the colors are always so happy and the stitching is lovely.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Another design for Stitch, perhaps...? We shall just have to possess ourselves in patience (tho it's hard). Glad you made the deadline, and hope that's a sign you are really along the road to Covid recovery. :wip:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:34 am Another design for Stitch, perhaps...? We shall just have to possess ourselves in patience (tho it's hard). Glad you made the deadline, and hope that's a sign you are really along the road to Covid recovery. :wip:
My thoughts exactly! Also wondering (I'm nosey) if and when you will be returning your special stitching classes. I loved watching the progress you made through the different stitching skills/modes/styles. I know that is way down the road and probably too early to think about, but if it was me I'd probably be thinking about it once I picked up the needle again.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

As I'm not showing the actual project I can say that, yes, it is for Stitch, and will appear in the May edition. I still need to "finish" the stitching in a form they can photograph, and send it off to them, as well as edit the second half of the progress pictures and insert them into the instructions in the right place, but the stitching is completed and that was what I found particularly challenging.

Carole, yes it is a bit early yet to re-start the classes, my stitching is still very intermittent and mostly non-challenging, and besides the long Covid there are a few other health issues that don't exactly help; still it's progress!

What I really want to do is try out some samples for a new project I've got in mind - and I know I shouldn't because a) I have so many things in progress already, b) I really need to get back into writing FoFs, c) there are kits that need work doing to them and d) I have to put together a very complicated order of goldwork materials. But I might just start to get the materials ready for when I do have time.... :D
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Serinde wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:34 am Another design for Stitch, perhaps...? We shall just have to possess ourselves in patience (tho it's hard). Glad you made the deadline, and hope that's a sign you are really along the road to Covid recovery. :wip:
What is this patience of which you speak? I shall be waiting very impatiently for May, or at least for when you able to show us the photos.

I'm glad to read you are slowly getting better, just remember nothing is ever linear, you may have setbacks and that's OK, another squishy comfy chair will be waiting for you in St. Crossstitchers and Dr.Tiny Cat will be on the prowl to make sure you don't over do it.

:hug: :hug:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Well done for getting another magazine article :applesauce: We wait with bated breath to see it

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Bit late catching up with this :doh:

I love both of these, Do-pea makes me smile every time I see him and just :wub: that tree.

Good to see your fantastic designs again. Try not to overdo it after all your issues. :hug:
Mabel Figworthy

*Gulp*

Have taken the plunge and booked four classes in the period up to the summer break. First one 11th February. I didn't really want to start that soon but my favourite tutor teaches a limited number of classes this term, and two of them had only one place left so I thought I'd better bag those.

I'll have to get my doodle cloths framed up again and do a bit of sampling to remind myself what I'm doing :shock: !
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
fccs

Post by fccs »

Oh, good. That means we’re going to see more of your doodles. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:47 am Oh, good. That means we’re going to see more of your doodles. :-)
:whoop: Yes!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Mabel Figworthy

Hoping to get all the RSN stuff in order tomorrow. Over the past months my stitching has mostly been at embroidery group, so not a lot but I have managed a bit more on Do-Pea-on-wool, and two of the little trees (I got bored with the stem stitch trunk so I tried some experimenting on the cypress-like tree :-) )

WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Do-Pea-on-wool is so much fun to watch progress. Looking forward to seeing what else you do with the great start on the trees.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Agree. Anyway, why shouldn't trees have different stitched trunks to reflect their actual natures? Quite apart from the fact that it's fun, of course. 8)