Dimensions Gold: Innocent Guardian

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

CuriousKitty

Dimensions Gold: Innocent Guardian

Post by CuriousKitty »

So I've had this a year or two now, opened it then left it alone for quite some time. Recently I've been motivated to start on it again with a vengeance. Since I've been taking a picture every day of completed work, I think I've been working on it for 12 days, today being the 13th.

When it is completed, it should look like this:

When I started again, this is where I had left off (with some exception because I didn't take pictures of when I first started again).

The green leaves, the oval-like thing at the bottom and most of the purple that stretches from left to right wasn't there, or maybe about half of it. The dark blue (Navy Blue) was already there.

And this is where I am at now, and instead of putting up pictures of every day, I thought I'd just do a starting and where I am now (otherwise that's a lot of pictures).

So 12ish days of work later:

I hope you enjoy watching this as much as I enjoy watching it grow.
Last edited by CuriousKitty on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sewin_mum

Re: CuriousKitty SAL: Innocent Guardian

Post by Sewin_mum »

What a fun project :) Good Job :applesauce:
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wub: what a beautiful design!! Great update and I can't wait to see your next one!!! Great stitching!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Raine

Post by Raine »

She is so lovely and you're doing a wonderful job!
My blog: http://ravelldsleave.blogspot.com/

Finished in 2014 ~
By The Bay Needleart 2012 Mystery SAL
We Love Dogs
Warm Winter Woolens
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Very pretty, love the colors!
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Thanks, I'll just keep posting pictures each time I finish a day then. I'm guessing that's how it's usually done?
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: lovely stitching. You can almost feel the fabric of the dress. The colors are already so rich.

We post an update when we feel like it. Different people post differently so whatever works for you should be fine. I love looking at updates and am looking forward to yours.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

rcperryls wrote::applesauce: lovely stitching. You can almost feel the fabric of the dress. The colors are already so rich.

We post an update when we feel like it. Different people post differently so whatever works for you should be fine. I love looking at updates and am looking forward to yours.

Carole
Thanks =) I'm so new I'm just feeling out how it goes.
Rose

Post by Rose »

She is so gorgeous!!!! Love the colors!!!!! :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Update, my work for tonight. I'm getting sick of purple. xD

Last edited by CuriousKitty on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

So pretty :wub: :applesauce:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

That's coming on great! :applesauce: :applesauce: Lovely rich colours!
The only thing I don't like about that design are the girl's wings! (I've got a thing about wings that aren't on birds or bugs!).
Adore the little critters in her pockets and arms :wub:
And you have done most of the purple... get ready to be sick of yellow! :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDUTAn6Ttg" target="_blank"

Watch Leonard and the young singer! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"

Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

That purple is so rich! And the shading looks fantastic. :applesauce:
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Fljotsdale wrote:That's coming on great! :applesauce: :applesauce: Lovely rich colours!
The only thing I don't like about that design are the girl's wings! (I've got a thing about wings that aren't on birds or bugs!).
Adore the little critters in her pockets and arms :wub:
And you have done most of the purple... get ready to be sick of yellow! :lol: :lol:
I've already developed a hate of metallic thread. The lining's done with two gold metallic threads and one Golden Yellow. Metallic thread is SO annoying to keep in one place, not to mention it seems every strand is uneven with all the others. Right now since it won't stay on a (gosh forgot what it was called, you wind thread on it and no not a spool) thingymajigger, it's wrapped and tied around the head of my water-bottle since apparently that's the only spot it won't fall apart.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: you are making really good progress. Some metallics don't wind well around bobbins (I think that is what you meant), some do okay. They are tricky to use. I find it is better if I use shorter strands which means a lot of threading, but less knotting up. There is something which will help make it easier, I think it is called Thread Heaven (?) but I'm not sure. Someone on the forum will know. I don't mind using them, but they can be annoying.
Angels and fairies usually have some, if not a lot , metalics in them.

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

rcperryls wrote::applesauce: you are making really good progress. Some metallics don't wind well around bobbins (I think that is what you meant), some do okay. They are tricky to use. I find it is better if I use shorter strands which means a lot of threading, but less knotting up. There is something which will help make it easier, I think it is called Thread Heaven (?) but I'm not sure. Someone on the forum will know. I don't mind using them, but they can be annoying.
Angels and fairies usually have some, if not a lot , metalics in them.

Carole
Thank god this project only requires one color of metallic. And I think bobbin sounds right, it's the square/flat one. Comes in paper or plastic. I think I spent an hour trying to put all the strands together so they were (more or less) even bunch so I could at least keep them in one place. >.>

Now that I've had a few hours of break (worked on an immense spreadsheet that I'm about to give up on) I may start up again. I've had The Tudors running in the background while I stitch for last couple days. I just sit and watch. The fashions of the Henry the 8th era are a lot like the angel I happen to be stitching, sort of. Well very close. It's kind of inspiring. Maybe I can find a medieval-type project next, if I don't get distracted by some cute furry pattern.
Lili

Post by Lili »

gorgeous work!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Blog
Happy Stitching,
Lili
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I think this is a gorgeous piece! Mettalics can be a pain.. but I've foudn experience to be great getting used to them :wink:
Faith
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Well after this, I decided as of five minutes ago I'm doing this next:

16x12 piece, smaller than the Innocent Guardian, but more... dense. I don't think I'm capable of picking simple things.

Showed my boyfriend whom I live with and he said (and I quote), "See you in five years."

Ye of so little faith.
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Hi there
I sympathise with the metallics situation. The project I'm working on has hundreds of metallics stitches which weren't too bad. I used Thread Heaven (you were right Carole!). It comes in a little blue plastic cube and is similar to beeswax. You cut your required length of threads and then press it down on the cube with your thumb whilst pulling the thread with the other hand (if that makes sense!?) so that the length of the thread is coated. The Thread Heaven acts as a lubricant making the thread less likely to split, snag, knot etc. If you type thread heaven into any online needlework shop I'm sure they should have it. I've even seen it on ebay.
It also depends on what brand of metallics you're using. I've tried DMC metallics and have found them to be a complete nightmare. I used Kreinik #4 very fine braid for my current project and it has been brilliant. It's thick enough so you only need one strand, so you don't have to wind it onto a bobbin, as it comes on a reel which you can secure at either end to stop it from coming unravelled.

Good luck and keep coming back for more support, advice and encourangement.

By the way, I love the purple!!!
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius