Band Sampler SAL (Update 4/4)

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

bookknurd

Band Sampler SAL (Update 4/4)

Post by bookknurd »

This is my new large project that I started yesterday (and which I should have started about two months ago). This is for my grandmother, the same one I am making Quilts of Cape Cod for. I decided I had better make her something that has a chance of being finished soon. If I finish Quilts for her, great, but if not, I love it and I'll make it for my future craft room (where I hope to make quilts).

I digress.

When I saw this sampler on the cover of an issue of Sampler and Antique Needlework Quarterly at my LNS, I immediately fell in love with the vibrant colors and cheery motifs. So many samplers are done in muted tones and dull fabrics, which are beautiful in their own way, but not necessarily my favorite to stitch. This sampler is in three parts which were spread out over the Spring, Summer, and Fall issues of 2012.

Picture of finished product

It's done all in DMC, and aren't the colors gorgeous! I especially love looking at them in their new little home, a pencil case I found at Office Depot, which makes the perfect thread case for projects.

I made a start on it yesterday. I've changed the name at the top to be my grandfather and grandmother's names and their last name. I'll replace the year with the year they got married. So this will be functioning as a marriage sampler for them (they were married for over 60 years!), and also as a remembrance of my grandfather who passed away over a year ago.

It's on 30ct Coconut Macaroon, which is a dream to stitch on. It had to most amazing texture, it's just the right mix of stiff and flexible, and for a linen, it has a pretty even weave. I love it so much, I've already bought more of it to use in two more projects!

This piece is really special to me. I know that my grandmother will love the design and colors, and what the sampler is representing. Plus, I just love stitching on it!
Last edited by bookknurd on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
rcperryls

Re: Band Sampler SAL

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: This is going to be a much loved and cherished gift I am sure. Is this the type of sampler with a variety of stitches? One of my earliest projects (I forgot about it) was a reproduction of a sampler stitched in the early 18th century. I changed the names to my parents and used their anniversary for the date. There were lots of different embroidery stitches and it was a lot of fun to do. It was in that beigy kind of muted colors you mentioned. The bright and cheerful colors in this are beautiful!

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

What a beautiful sampler this is going to be!!! I really do love it!!!
As for the fabric, I think it looks amazing---may I ask where you bought it from, it looks like it would be perfect to use for many projects!!

Great start on this wonderful gift!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

karen4bells wrote:What a beautiful sampler this is going to be!!! I really do love it!!!
As for the fabric, I think it looks amazing---may I ask where you bought it from, it looks like it would be perfect to use for many projects!!

Ditto!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

What a totally fabulous sampler! And so, so fortunate it's been published now. One might almost think it was meant to be... :dance:
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

karen4bells wrote:What a beautiful sampler this is going to be!!! I really do love it!!!

I got this at my LNS, but it's made by Legacy Linen and appears to be available from several online retailers. I don't know but I think it comes in 30ct and 50ct (!!) only. I had no trouble seeing to work on it yesterday, and that was without my magnifier or any artificial light. Just google something like "legacy linen coconut macaroon 30ct" and you should see several places to buy it.

The owner of my LNS says that she can barely keep it in stock. This project is the first one I bought it for, but I loved it so much (and that was before stitching on it), that I bought it for two other projects. And now after stitching on it, I love it even more.

Also, the linen is called a dower linen, so I will be looking to see if it comes in any other colors.
Serinde wrote:What a totally fabulous sampler! And so, so fortunate it's been published now. One might almost think it was meant to be... :dance:
There are too many projects that are "meant to be" in my life. That why my stash is growing so quickly! Oh well, who am I to argue with fate? :wink:
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Thanks so much for the information--I haven't found it yet at any of the online sites I usually order from, but I'll keep looking
Work in Progress
Various small designs

bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I think ABC stitch had it, and maybe Needle in a Haystack.
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Ooh, I love this one! I subscribed to that magazine for a year just to get that pattern... :)
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

verajane wrote:I think ABC stitch had it, and maybe Needle in a Haystack.
Thanks verajane--I'm not keen on ABC stitch as they take ages to send things, but I have found another good source, fingers crossed
Work in Progress
Various small designs

bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

So it's been forever since I really worked on this, but it is now my focus piece. And since I'm done with studying for a while, I'm basically stitching on it every chance I get.

The first two bands are complete, which means I have five bands to go. However, the rest of the bands are quite a bit larger and more involved, so I still have a ton of work to do. Thankfully, these colors and floral motifs are perfect for celebrating the arrival of spring. :)

Depending on what my progress looks like over the next couple of weeks or so, I may try to have this completed by Mother's Day. We'll see!

fccs

Re: Band Sampler SAL (Update 3/25)

Post by fccs »

Great update! Your stitching is so pretty and I really like the design. I find that samplers, even when you get to the larger or more detailed bands, are usually a lot of fun to stitch because each little element can be viewed as a small finish.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Lovely! What a perfect gift this would be for Mother's Day. If you need any :poke: you know where to come for encouragement and motivation!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: :applesauce: What a beauty this one is and such lovely bright colours as well. Great update. :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Fantastic update!!!! :wub:
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Rose

Post by Rose »

You are doing a wonderful job!!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

That's a lovely sampler and you are doing a great job on it too. A lovely thing to pass down.
Linda
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

great update! :applesauce: looks like a fun project to stitch and it is going to be amazing when it is finished! :applesauce: :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I love this project so much. Not only do I love the design and colors (so it's a lot fun to stitch), but it also means so much to me and I know it will be special for my grandmother too.
fccs wrote:Great update! Your stitching is so pretty and I really like the design. I find that samplers, even when you get to the larger or more detailed bands, are usually a lot of fun to stitch because each little element can be viewed as a small finish.
I completely agree! I do get a small sense of accomplishment every time I complete a motif or a band. :)

I will hopefully be able to post weekly updates. Wish me luck! (I'm going to need it to finish it by May :shock: )
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

Great progress, keep up the great work!