Beginner Question

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

SunnyDay

Beginner Question

Post by SunnyDay »

I have been nosing around the forum on my breaks at work and sneak peeks at the project updates. Last night/this morning a question popped into my head. I have always heard to start a project in the middle but I see a lot of you start top left or top vented. What should I do? My first is a small Christmas ornament that I am rather embarrassed to show. It is so simplistic next to all of your fabulous works! :) I started it in the middle. Which is best?
Erika

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

WIP
HAED Mini The Forgotten
HAED Storykeep Oriental Courage

Waiting in the wings
HAED Celtic Sun
HAED Tree of Life-Parker
Reta

Re: Beginner Question

Post by Reta »

The choice is what ever you thinks right for you

Start your next one in a corner and see how it goes

And we would love to see your christmas ornament
mechie

Post by mechie »

Like most things in cross stitch, there's no better or worse, right or wrong. It all comes down to personal preference. For me, the only designs I start at the edge (for me that's usually the bottom left since I like to stitch from the bottom up) are large full coverage designs (ones where you won't see any fabric when you're finished) like HAEDs. The main reason is because it's easier for me to keep track of the pages as I stitch if I do them in some sort of order. This is especially true of really big designs (like my Elementals that's 42 pages).

All other design I'll start in the middle. That ensures that the design is centered on the fabric. Plus, I think it's easier to find your starting place when you start in the middle (just fold the fabric in half in each direction and mark the spot where the folds cross). If you start on the edge you have to measure and/or count to make sure you're in the right spot.

Now, all that being said, I know there are others out there that do thing completely different from me. What works for one may not work for another. The only real advise I can give you is try it both ways and see which one you like better. :D (I know, not much help am I :P )

mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

For the most part, I nearly always start a project in the middle of the design. I find that it works out the best for me, unless of course, it's a HAED project or one similar, where there are numerous pages involved.
I think it really is what you find to work out best for you--so there really is NO right or wrong way to approach it :D
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Rose

Post by Rose »

I have been stitching for over 25 years and I would say 90% of my starts are in the middle of my work. I was self taught and I had a very bad experience were I stitched 2/3 of a project and then found it was not in the right place to fit on the fabric. That one project was started in a corner and was very large and full of confetti, the project got thrown away and I hate the pattern everytime I look at it. But that is just a personal preference and my own paranoia. You can start in the corner if you feel that is going to work for you, just be very sure of your count.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
imogenX

Post by imogenX »

Yep, exactly what these ladies said. I usually start in the middle. Unless I don't want to for some reason :)

We love photos! Maybe this will make you feel better. Here's a photo of my very first project. It wasn't even counted; it was stamped. It doesn't get more simplistic than that! :lol:

Don't ever be ashamed of your work. The people here are genuinely excited to help you and see your progress. You've gotta start somewhere, and everyone started out just like you - a few stitches at a time.

I think I will always be humbled and inspired by the talent and dedication on this forum. But let's not have any shame here :)
-Imogen

Current WIPs
HAED SK Some Enchanted Evening
Stitchonomy Winter SAL
Animal Alphabet SAL (Anna Gutova for Artmishka)
Modern Folk Embroidery SAL 2021
Wonders of the Solar System SAL (Climbing Goat Designs)
Gnomes (Designs by Gloria & Pat)
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

Simple designs are fun and a great break from the complex ones. No need to be embarrassed by starting with those. We all started off that way. And as far as I've seen everyone here does small, simple pieces from time to time. Even those of us that have been stitching for multiple decades. So post your pics and we'll cheer you on! :applesauce:

I tend to start my projects in the center, but sometimes the style of the design is easier to start in a corner. I just go with what fits the piece best.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I too was taught to start in the middle. And I still do most of the time. I don't stitch HAEDS/ SQ/ MS.. fully stitched designs. Starting in the middle is the way I know for sure that my finished piece will be centered and that my fabric is the right size (sometimes kits aren't, sometimes my original math is wrong or I grabbed the wrong piece of fabric).
I look at my chart and figure out where its telling me to start. Most of the time it is the true middle- but sometimes its not. I've started a few at the bottom of the chart on the middle line, I started another in the bottom right corner. My current pattern doesn't have any stitches around the true center, so I started in the center on the top line.
Like many things with stitching- there is no "right" way to do it. No "right" place to start- because there are exceptions to every rule. Do whatever feels most natural to you. And then you'll read something here, or somewhere else.. try it. Maybe that will work better for you- maybe not. My techniques have changed over the years. I don't even think I thread my needle the same way I did when I started.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I used to start all my designs in the center and I do occasionally now, especially if I am stitching over 2(threads) and counting is a bit trickier for me. I started stitching in the top left corner when I began doing themed afghans as it was an easier way of seeing how things were spaced (at least for me) so its been natural for me to do that with large, fully covered designs (like HAEDs). And since I now grid, the counting is relatively easier (I still make counting mistakes, just not as many). As everyone else said, the key is finding what works and is comfortable for you. Try out different ways and see what you like best. and never NEVER be hesitant to post pictures of what you are stitching. Everyone of us started some time.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
LisaJo

Post by LisaJo »

I like to start at the top, but occasionally this gets me in trouble 'cause I don't leave enough for framing. Other times I'll start in the middle. It depends on what part of the design I feel like doing first.

I'd love to see your ornament.
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

I'm a little bit different. I look for and start with an "anchor". That is, a recognizable block of color or shape off which to work. I double or triple check it's position on the fabric and start stitching there. Most of the time i build out from my anchor, just as many do by starting from the center. With my anchor established I find it much easier to track my progress and ensure color changes and other stitches are positions correctly. This is especially handy when you have an open design with areas of fabric showing.

By all means, show your work. It can be good motivation.
Jarvis
SunnyDay

Post by SunnyDay »

I think at first I will stick to the center until I have more of a feel for what I'm doing and what to expect from sizing, fabric count and stitch counts. Then I will experiment. I will read about posting pics and give it a go. You all have made me feel rather confidant! Thank you all so much for the suggestions and new ideas. They are very much appreciated!
Erika

― Mahatma Gandhi

WIP
HAED Mini The Forgotten

Waiting in the wings
HAED Celtic Sun
HAED Tree of Life-Parker
Reta

Post by Reta »

endersPrincess wrote: Image
That is one cute puddy cat :applesauce: :applesauce:
Bakes

Post by Bakes »

I almost always start in the middle. Once a friend purchased aida to complete a pattern her mother had worked the previous year. She asked me to do and I did not check the count or size as I believed being a seasoned quilter, she would know what she was doing. Oops. Thankfully, I started in the middle and had only to change the border so no one was the wiser. So many times I inherit partially started projects that caused some serious "surgery". (One novice actually put the pattern on the aida and what stitching through the paper.) I contacted the pattern distributor and after the customer service rep stopped laughing, they sent me a replacement. Oh, so middle it is for me most of the time.
Lori0

Post by Lori0 »

[/iLoriO]
WIP
Crawfish Boil- Leslie Wristers
Nighttmare Before Christmas-charted by me
As of 2/9/2014 MIA
Antique Shoe Collection= Bucilla. start 3/31/14 from stash
SunnyDay

Post by SunnyDay »

I love tweety. :) I made a mistake or two on mine but decided unless someone has the chart they won't notice so I left it. I finished number two yesterday and started number three. I am spool addicted!
Erika

― Mahatma Gandhi

WIP
HAED Mini The Forgotten

Waiting in the wings
HAED Celtic Sun
HAED Tree of Life-Parker