Disney / Kinkade Cinderella UPDATED February 4 PAGE 2

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

User avatar
avna
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 am
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Disney / Kinkade Cinderella UPDATED February 4 PAGE 2

Post by avna »

Hello everyone!

Below you'll see the progress of my Cinderella cross stitching. I'm currently finishing the garden inspired sampler for my fathers upcoming birthday, but I couldn't resist starting this one as soon I found it in the mail box in stead of finishing the sampler first :wink:.

As you might know, the pattern is based on a painting of Thomas Kinkade for Disney:
Image

If you look closer, you can find many details which you won't see on first hand; like the fairy godmother on the right side of the rainbow or in the lower left corner something like this:
Image. Have you found her slipper?

Cross stitched, in the end it will look like this:
Image

And a close-up of the castle made by Lauren http://ambitiousstitches.blogspot.nl/:
Image

It might seem easy, but be warned: it are approx 66.000 (!) cross stitches and on top of that also many back stitches, french knots (especially for the flowers) and some sparkly filiaments that is hard to work on, but in my opinion it really adds the Disney wow factor to the avarage cross stiching patterns.


On some other blogs I had read that they were busy for a few hours to sort all the floss, and some complaints about choosing the wrong color and than had to start again. Thankfully, Disney / Candamar learnt of this because now the floss is already pre-sorted on three different cards:
Image
Image

This turned out to be a mess when you needed only one thread, so I placed the seperated threads in small ziplock bags:
Image

Still, this wasn't working great so I bought a binder and some display folders with 30 pockets each. Now, each card has its own display folder and each floss has its own page/ folder/ map:
Image
I stickered each page with the card number (each card has its own color, like this page is of card 1 so all the pages of card 1 have dark blue stickers), the floss number and the symbol. The oriinal card is placed in the first page of each folder to keep everything clear and easy. This works for me and the total cost is less than $10 :), but there are many other (more professional and more expensive) systems.


Disney/ Candamar advises to start in the middle of the pattern, but I prefer to start in the upper left corner. But to do so, I had to count where to start exactly. The pattern is divided on four pages and each page is divided in blocks of 10 rows (10x10 stitches). In total there are 29 blocks horizontal (29 blocks x 10 stitches= 290 stitches from left to right), and there are 22 blocks from top to bottom. When you fold to Aida, you'll know the middle of it. From there it's 6 inches up and 8 inches to the left to find the upper left corner stitch.


Now, the fun part comes in: stitching!

I'll try to show you each week a picture of my progress.

Week 1 (March 17, 2013):
Image
Some people may use pencils or fishing line to mark each block of the pattern, but I prefer to do it the old way by counting correctly. By making a kind of chess board, I think I can count the other stitches of this pages as I now have some reference. Each of the above blocks is 20 x 20 stitches, so I think that I stitched around 2000 stitches this week. This might sound much, but it's just approx 3% of the 66,000 stitches...

Week 2 (March 24, 2013):
Image
To be honest: I'm delighted about my progress. It went much faster than expected :)
The yellow stitches in the central zone are the top of the castle. I prefer to finish the sky first as I'm a bit afraid that I only want to stitch the castle and afterwards loose my stitching bug with all the purple, gray and blue in the sky that I than still have to stitch...


Sorry for this long post, look forward to your comments!

Happy stitching everyone!
Last edited by avna on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Finished:
Garden inspired sampler
(see: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=20037" target="_blank)

WIP:
Cinderella wishes upon a dream
(see: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=20182" target="_blank)
User avatar
Arianwen
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales, UK

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by Arianwen »

Wow great progress in a short time! I love this line of cross stitch and I hope to eventually do them all.

I have 2 (working on beauty and the beast, and I have the lion king waiting in the wings) and its lovely to see people working on the others - I'm hoping that I will pick up some tips for when I come to do them
Current WIP's

HAED SAL 2026 Stone Cottage Keep

Spinning
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
User avatar
Cecilia
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:13 pm
Location: England

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by Cecilia »

Amazing progress. Well done. :applesauce:
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
User avatar
vanessanjf
Posts: 12944
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:43 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by vanessanjf »

Beautiful project :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :wub: :wub:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: Great progress. The detail is amazing when you look at the close-up it really becomes clear.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
karen4bells
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by karen4bells »

What a fantastic start on this and I really like your information you've posted. It's great to know that the design makers listened to customers and are now presorting the threads!! That is about the only way I will buy kits now, if the threads are presorted. I hate wasting valuable stitching time trying to figure out thread colors from kits!!!
I will be looking forward to your future updates on this!! :dance:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs


User avatar
LadyS
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 7:22 am
Location: LRAFB

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by LadyS »

Fantastic start on a very pretty project! :applesauce:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
User avatar
Rose
Posts: 34043
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:24 am
Location: Gilroy, CA

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by Rose »

That is going to be a wonderful project and so much done already!!!!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
User avatar
natural_isis
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: TN, U.S.

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by natural_isis »

Great progress!
Wips: Sadness of an Angel-Haed, Flower Girl- Haed, Bookworm Fairy- Haed, Ghost of A Rose- Haed, Babysitting- Haed, Red Tulips- Mystic Stitch, Pompiean Lady- Haed
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by geekishly »

Beautiful progress! I love these designs, but I kind of dislike how much detail is lost in them stitched up, so I will probably never do one. That being said... if they came out with the ones for The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty and The Princess and the Frog... I would probably give in and get at the very least the closeup 5 x 7" ones with the main couple. Or if Disney ever released patterns with as much detail as the larger HAEDs, I might.
- Luca
User avatar
works4me
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:15 pm
Location: Langley, BC CANADA

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by works4me »

What a fun chart. Your progress is great and I like how you explained further sorting the floss. I imagine it makes things that much faster and easier.

I'm looking forward to more progress reports.
HAED Mind if I Hang Out -Page 17/36 finished. ?/154,350 stitches
Hang In There - finished, waiting for a decision on framing or turning into a mini quilt
Universal Monsters - finished, waiting in line to frame
User avatar
TracyG
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Elgin, Illinois, U.S.

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by TracyG »

Love it!! Can't get much better than Disney and cross stitch! I have the Pinnochio one and I've been a little afraid to start it, but seeing your progress gives lessens my fear.
WIPs:
Hillside Travelers by LHN
The Library by LHN
Past, Present, and Future by Disney
Balloon Glow by Dimensions Gold
Little Sheep Virtues by LHN
HAED 12 Dancing Princesses
Grandma Twinkles by Janlynn
User avatar
venus
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:22 pm
Location: Southern California - USA

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by venus »

Great start! I love this kit. Looking forward to more update.
Work in progress
Disney Dreams Collections - The Lion King
Disney - Lady and the Tramp
User avatar
avna
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 am
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by avna »

Thanks everyone for your kind words! :D

@ Arianwen: the Beauty and the Beast kit is also very lovely! I bought that one as well via Ebay on the same day and decided that I'll start with the kit I received first as I couldn't decide which one to start :wink:. One week later there was a bargain for the Lion King kit, yep, I ordered that one as well :shock: . Right now, I've received the Lion King kit but unfortunately the Beaty and the Beast kit is still not here. USPS keeps stating it's missent/ routed wrong and it will be delivered very soon. Keep my fingers crossed :wink:

@ karen4bells: I totally agree! :D

@ Geekishly: that indeed was also my main concern. I do love the paintings and nearly bought some during our honeymoon on the Disney's Dreams cruise, but the price and shipping costs has put me off :shock: . While stitching it, I do see that the pattern is missing some of the details, and some details are wrong/ strange compared to the painting. For example: if you look to the left of the clock tower, there are two kind of decorated bubbles in the painting. In the cross stitch pattern there are a blue and a red dot, they don't make sense to me so I'm probably won't stitch these :thinks: . By the way: the Little Mermaid is out!

@ works4me: sorting the floss took some time (I guess nearly two hours), but I'm sure I'll earn back this time and right now I can already say I'm happy with it :D

@ TracyG: I also was a little afraid to start, but please, just take the plunge and start with it!

Thanks again for watching, commenting and motivating me :D
Finished:
Garden inspired sampler
(see: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=20037" target="_blank)

WIP:
Cinderella wishes upon a dream
(see: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=20182" target="_blank)
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by geekishly »

Good to know. I haven't been able to find it in any stores I shop at though.
- Luca
User avatar
avna
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 am
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by avna »

Neither can I buy/ find the Little Mermaid kit in any store I shop at, so I have to rely on Ebay and let it ship to the other side of the world :( . You might find some great deals for the kits on Ebay. Like right now the vignette (small one) is for sale at $11.98, and the big one for $34.38 by seller 'valegosales'. Hope this will help you to find the kit(s)...
Finished:
Garden inspired sampler
(see: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=20037" target="_blank)

WIP:
Cinderella wishes upon a dream
(see: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=20182" target="_blank)
User avatar
coolpenguin
Posts: 913
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by coolpenguin »

How wonderful! I have the small, 5x7 Lion King in my stash.
WIP's
various mini's
OCEAN ABC





Finished in 2017
See my Stitch a Long
Lozze
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 am

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by Lozze »

Great progress! I love these.

The Sleeping Beuaty one is out soon!
WIP

Winnie the Pooh birth sampler - finished bar name and backstitching
'Beauty and the Beast Falling in Love' Disney Dreams Collections
User avatar
tiffstitch
Posts: 10025
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by tiffstitch »

Great start!
aian11
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Disney / Kinkade Cinderella wishes upon a star

Post by aian11 »

Such a beautiful chart and great job on what you've accomplished so far :applesauce:
I saw the Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, and Sleeping Beauty on eBay and I want to buy one of them! However it looks intimidating. Are the instructions easy to follow?

Thanks!

:cake: :rainbow:
WIPs
Dimensions: Mediterranean Flavors
Janlynn: Golf Course
Design Works: Sew Mice To Be Your Friend
101 Christmas Minis: Fireplace
Post Reply