Mikaa's First Project - Strawberry Basket [Finished Nov 7]

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Mikaa

Mikaa's First Project - Strawberry Basket [Finished Nov 7]

Post by Mikaa »

Hi everyone! So here are a few pictures of my first project, which I started on August 21st. Here's what the finished picture looks like:

The design is called Strawberry Basket and it is by Candamar Designs. It is on 14 ct Aida. I've read the copyright posts, however if I have done anything wrong, please please let me know! I wouldn't want to cause any copyright concerns.

Here's my progress so far:

I've made a few mistakes, but I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. My main concern is making sure that the threads are secure at the back, as I cut and change floss for each section. I have seen some of the more skilled users of this forum 'parking', however I have absolutely no idea how to go about that, so I'm keeping it simple for now!

Any input is appreciated! :dance:
Last edited by Mikaa on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaggieM1750

Re: Mikaa's First Project - Strawberry Basket

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Looks good. I don't park my threads either and do like you.. work an area/color at a time
I am working in a strawberry chart now too.
What colors do they call for in your berries.. I am thinking mine are too bright.. and too orange.
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

Very pretty, :wub: and you've made a wonderful start! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

You haven't done anything wrong. It's okay to post a picture of the design, you just can't post a picture of the chart itself.
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
Mikaa

Post by Mikaa »

Thanks to you both!

Maggie - Do you have any pictures of your project so far? The berries are actually quite a bit brighter in real life. The Candamar code for the darker red is 6028, and the DMC code is 666. The Candamar code for the lighter red is 6029, and the DMC code is 349. It definitely is quite orange though.

JA Fan - Thanks for the reassurance, I appreciate it!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: :applesauce: That is gorgeous Mikka and so bright and colourful with neat and even stitching. Do you have any plans for when it is finished?

I too do as much of one colour as I can and finish it off at the back before going to the next one. I am sure I would get muddled up otherwise. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Rose

Post by Rose »

This looks great!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

It looks great! :applesauce:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
calico

Post by calico »

Fabulous start on this bright and cheerful pattern! :stars:
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Mikaa wrote:Maggie - Do you have any pictures of your project so far? The berries are actually quite a bit brighter in real life. The Candamar code for the darker red is 6028, and the DMC code is 666. The Candamar code for the lighter red is 6029, and the DMC code is 349. It definitely is quite orange though.
I haven't started stitching yet, just pulled threads together. And stopped because I didn't think they looked right.
Going darkest to lightest, they've called for 498, 321, 666 and 891. It's really the 666 and 891 that is throwing me. I'll look at 349 and other reds for options. Thanks!
Mikaa

Post by Mikaa »

Thanks everyone!!
Squirrel wrote::applesauce: :applesauce: That is gorgeous Mikka and so bright and colourful with neat and even stitching. Do you have any plans for when it is finished?

I too do as much of one colour as I can and finish it off at the back before going to the next one. I am sure I would get muddled up otherwise. :D
Thanks, I am trying to make it as even as possible! I plan on getting a little frame for it and saving it; cross stitching definitely takes much more time than it looks like it does, and I have a new appreciation for the larger pieces, to say the least.

I just worry about jumping too far across the back with the floss. I worry that it may come loose, so I try not to go too far.
MaggieM1750 wrote: I haven't started stitching yet, just pulled threads together. And stopped because I didn't think they looked right.
Going darkest to lightest, they've called for 498, 321, 666 and 891. It's really the 666 and 891 that is throwing me. I'll look at 349 and other reds for options. Thanks!
Yeah, I would definitely look at some other options. The 349 is actually called 'red orange' so I'm not sure if it'll give the effect you're looking for. I'm looking forward to seeing some of it when you start! :)
LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

Very pretty stitching! You are doing so well on it :)

As for carrying over your threads on the back I like to go by my rule of if the stitch is more than 3-4 stitches away from where I am trying to carry it over from I try and run the floss under the stitches in the back as if I were finishing off a thread but just going in the direction of that stitch that is far away...If there isn't any stitches on the back but there will be stitching in the area soon it is ok to carry your floss over because it will be caught by the future stitches..

I hope I didn't confuse you! :doh:
Mikaa

Post by Mikaa »

LastingAllure wrote:Very pretty stitching! You are doing so well on it :)

As for carrying over your threads on the back I like to go by my rule of if the stitch is more than 3-4 stitches away from where I am trying to carry it over from I try and run the floss under the stitches in the back as if I were finishing off a thread but just going in the direction of that stitch that is far away...If there isn't any stitches on the back but there will be stitching in the area soon it is ok to carry your floss over because it will be caught by the future stitches..

I hope I didn't confuse you! :doh:
Thanks! No, you didn't confuse me at all, those are great suggestions! Thanks so much for the tip!
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

nice start :applesauce: I always finish up with one colour first instead of parking too :D
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: What a lovely start! Your stitching looks very neat and even, as Sally said, and if you hadn't said this was your first project, no one would know. I don't park either as the one time I tried I was confused after only a few threads. I am what we call a "cross country stitcher". I go where the color takes me, and while I will skip stitches, sometimes as many as 8 or even more :oops: , like lasting allure I do this if they will be covered by future stitches or can be run under the stitches already done. If I'm stitching an afghan I pay more attention because the back will be seen. If the piece is going to be framed ,unless the floss can be seen through the fabric I don't let my OCD take control. We have had lots of threads discussing the back of pieces and I agree with those who say that it is called a "back" for a reason.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wub: :applesauce: I really like this one!! Great progress on it!! :dance:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

What a nice, cheerful project! :D

I don't park either. I'd get lost in threads. I did try once or twice, but it didn't suit me at all - and I was only trying to park 3 threads at most, lol! :lol: Do what you feel comfortable with. :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDUTAn6Ttg" target="_blank"

Watch Leonard and the young singer! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"

Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
works4me

Post by works4me »

Welcome. Such a cheery design for your first. You are doing a great job.
HAED Mind if I Hang Out -Page 17/36 finished. ?/154,350 stitches
Hang In There - finished, waiting for a decision on framing or turning into a mini quilt
Universal Monsters - finished, waiting in line to frame
Mikaa

Post by Mikaa »

Thanks to all, it is a very cheerful piece indeed!

It's nice to see that even people who have done this for a long time still choose not to park, so thanks to everyone for their reassurance.

Carole, I jumped quite a few (6 or so) stitches last night and thought of you and LastingAllure on the forums, and smiled to myself knowing that what I was doing was okay, haha!
guenever

Post by guenever »

it's gorgeous! i just finished my second project and started my third--wow! i am in awe. fabulous! you must keep this up! :applesauce: wonderful! i just love it. i am still learning what my process is--cross country stitching, stitch by color or part, and whatnot. but i know i'm hooked. but again--gorgeous! not gorgeous for a first---just gorgeous! :applesauce: :balloons: :horn:
Linnea

God Bless!

"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."

Visit my site http://www.freewebs.com/guenever/

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

you did a wonderful start to this project! :applesauce: looking forward for your next update
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait