NeedleAndFork's Year Round Ornaments Update 12/31/14

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

NeedleAndFork

NeedleAndFork's Year Round Ornaments Update 12/31/14

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Update: 2014's ornaments start here!

The christmas ornament I made for this year's ornament swap was the first one I've ever made.. and the bug has bitten! I'm hooked!

Here's the one that started it all..

The gold is hard to see in the picture, but it's super sparkley - it's actually gold thread from the sewing department in walmart. I live in a teeny tiny town with no needlework shops, so I improvised with the best I could find. I had to stitch it doubled up and stitch each leg twice so that it's actually 4 strands (stitchind with 4 strands at once was impossible though, which is why I stitched each leg twice). I sewed him up into a little pillow ornament and as much as I wanted to hang onto him, I had to send him off.

Once he was gone, I wanted more! I've been working on my HAED all year and got hooked on the fast little finish.. so I pulled out a scrap of 14 count aida and made this guy..

I haven't gotten around to finishing him yet, as I'm not sure how I want to. The aida feels too stiff to turn after sewing into a pillow.

At this point I realized that I needed christmas gifts for everyone in my roommate's family, as I spend christmas eve with all of them. I struggle to come up with gifts each year, as I only see them all once or twice a year, so I decided ornaments are perfect - so I started stitching more.

This guy showed up first...

The original pattern had red french knots in the tree for the ornaments, but I decided to bling it up a bit by adding beads. This is the piece where I fell in love with what backstitch can do to finish off a piece. The pattern states to use 1 strand of floss for the backstitch, but that was barely visible, so I tried two and saw an instant improvement. so that's what I'll be doing from now on.

Next I wanted something a bit more delicate.. so did this:

I had to tweak the pattern a bit on this one. It is designed to be stitched over 2, and was designed for the center line to go into the middle of several squares. Since I stitched it over 1 to size it down to be suitable as an ornament, I had to rechart the entire center part of it as well as a few other areas. I'm very happy with how it ended up though!

Next came this guy..

He's a small little thing that still needs to be finished up. I decided to add a little bling to the snowflakes in the background by adding a strand of Krenik BF to the floss. The stitching was easy peasy though, that was a quickie done in an evening of watching Netflix

Right now I'm working on this guy:

He will most likely go to a friend who LOOKS like Santa. I mean really really looks like Santa. Starting about the middle of December he wears a Santa hat all the time, and everywhere he goes, kids' eyes get really wide. I'm hoping to finish him off today, as I still have a few more to make and I need to step it up here.

While looking for patterns to make these I came across so many that I absolutely loved - some of which to be honest, are entirely too much work for me to make and give away, so I've decided to start sewing ornaments for myself year round. I've set myself a goal of one ornament a month, to start to build up a collection of ornaments of my own. So since I'll be stitching christmas year round, I figured I'd use one thread to keep track of it all.
Last edited by NeedleAndFork on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
karen4bells

Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching

Post by karen4bells »

:wub: :wub: :wub: These are just soooooooooooooooo cute!! love them all--can I ask where you got the tree design, it's so different!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: I love them! What wonderful gifts for others and then what a great idea to treat yourself to an ornament to stitch every month! Looking forward to you filling up this thread!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

karen4bells wrote::wub: :wub: :wub: These are just soooooooooooooooo cute!! love them all--can I ask where you got the tree design, it's so different!!
It's a freebie pattern from an italian blog. http://marikabel.wordpress.com/2008/09/ ... tmas-tree/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

The link to the pattern on that post is broken, but digging around a bit, I found the link elsewhere on her site to the pattern. You can download the PDF by clicking on the image here..

http://marikabel.wordpress.com/2008/07/09/red-tree-2/

I LOVE the way she finished hers and when I make one for myself, I may do it the same way.

*edited by karen4bells. If you click on that second link then scroll down you can click on the design and it will have the download

*edited again by NeedleAndFork to make the pattern even easier to find :)
Last edited by NeedleAndFork on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Thank you!! It's so pretty!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Rose

Post by Rose »

Oh those snowmen are so awesome!!!!!!! As are the other ornaments!!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Rose wrote:Oh those snowmen are so awesome!!!!!!! As are the other ornaments!!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:

I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before your snowman radar brought you here! I have several other snowman patterns so I'll be doing more of them - I love the look of the larger one and want to stitch more in that style..

msufly

Post by msufly »

Love love love your ornaments! Once I finish Fjord Ponies I want to try finishing an ornament like you have done here. I'm a beginner when it comes to sewing but it can't be that hard! I also want to try finishing a flat ornament with mounting board and trim. I need some cute ornaments for my tree!
Kim

WIPs:
A Summer Ball - Sandy Littlejohns
Camelot Sampler - Teresa Wentzler
(And 14 more!)
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

msufly wrote:Love love love your ornaments! Once I finish Fjord Ponies I want to try finishing an ornament like you have done here. I'm a beginner when it comes to sewing but it can't be that hard! I also want to try finishing a flat ornament with mounting board and trim. I need some cute ornaments for my tree!

Finishing them as little cushions is super easy - I'll take pictures of the process on the next one and include them in this post

I like the flat ornaments too, but I found them to be more finicky to get a smooth finish than the little pillows - I had started that on the large snowman and finally gave up and went back to the pillow. I'll work on that later though, for now I'm just finishing what I need for gifts.

The half done santa above is now finished except for some of the back stitch. I'm trying to decide which pattern to work on next.

Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

:applesauce: These are amazing!!!! Wonderful work!
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

They are all so lovely....seems like you have caught he ornie bug for sure :lol: :applesauce: :applesauce:
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

These little guys are simply wonderful, and what a thoughtful thing to include all rabbit's friends and relations. We'll done! :applesauce:
SunnFyre

Post by SunnFyre »

Those are soooo adorable!
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

fantastic ornaments! great work! :applesauce: :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Time for an update!

The partially done santa above is finished..

Then I tried something different and stitched on a non-evenweave woven fabric.. the stitches were taller than they were wide, so the ratio of the finished piece is different than the original design, but I think that in the case of this pattern, it was just fine.. There's some discussion about using non-evenweave in a separate thread here I'm not sure if it was the fabric or the pattern, but this one was a beast to stitch. I made so many mistakes on it that I didn't find until I was doing the backstitch all the way at the very end! I fixed most of them, but a few I just fudged my way through. I really like the overall look through and will probably do atleast one or two more from the set eventually.

Up next, I'm at the very beginning of a blackwork ornament that I'm doing in two shades of green as well as a dark red. It's only just getting started so far.. but here's what I have.

It's down to the wire now.. just a few days left and I need to finish the blackwork ornament and then one more, and then finish and fill a total of 6. I've been doing the finishing by hand so far because I think I get a neater finish that way by backstitching in a straight line along the grain, but I may give up on that and just use a sewing machine for the rest. even going super slow on the sewing machine to make sure my line is 100% straight will be worlds faster than sewing by hand.

karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Santa and the Snowman are both looking good :applesauce: :applesauce: . The new design is already lovely and that is just the border, isn't it?

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

rcperryls wrote:Santa and the Snowman are both looking good :applesauce: :applesauce: . The new design is already lovely and that is just the border, isn't it?

Carole
Yes.. I have a pattern that has 4 different blackwork patterns that all have the same border - so I'm starting with the border and then I'll decide which pattern I want to stitch in the middle. I'm feeling the time crunch and blackwork goes SO much faster than cross stitch! The great thing about blackwork is that you can take a pattern, substitute in red and green floss and you have an instant christmassy pattern!

msufly

Post by msufly »

They're looking good!

And I hadn't thought about doing the pillow finish by hand - I could try that out while DD is sleeping vs being noisy setting the sewing machine up & doing it that way. Thanks for the idea!
Kim

WIPs:
A Summer Ball - Sandy Littlejohns
Camelot Sampler - Teresa Wentzler
(And 14 more!)
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

msufly wrote:They're looking good!

And I hadn't thought about doing the pillow finish by hand - I could try that out while DD is sleeping vs being noisy setting the sewing machine up & doing it that way. Thanks for the idea!
I found doing them by hand a lot easier than by machine, even if they took 3 times as long. I just put the stitching and backing right sides together, used a few long basting stitches to hold everything in place so that nothing shifts and then used a backstitch to stitch a 'border' around the piece, sewing it to the backing in the process. It helps to have used some regular sewing thread to mark where the corners are in advance so that you're not trying to figure that out as you sew. I sewed from the bottom up the sides, aross the top (making sure to put the ribbon in for the hanger) and back down the side and the other part of the bottom, leaving room to turn it. Before turning it, I iron the bottom seam open - this gives a nice crisp fold to use as a guide for placing your stitches when sewing it closed after turning it right side out and stuffing it.

Another option for finishing by hand would be to stitch a backstitch border around the entire piece and then a matching one on another piece of fabric. Then fold the excess fabric to the back on the line of stitching and holding the peices wrong sides together, whip stitch the backstitches togehter the way you assemble a biscournou. Using a colored floss makes for an attractive seam along the edges when you do it this way and you get lovely crisp corners that seem to be nearly impossible when sewing right sides together and then turning it. But you have to use the same fabric that you did your cross stitch on, so it doubles the fabric requirement for each piece.