Vanitas Still Life - 17August - Finished

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Allyn

Vanitas Still Life - 17August - Finished

Post by Allyn »

I wasn't going to post this yet because there really isn't anything to "see". Then it occurred to me that there isn't going to be anything to see for a very long time because the first several pages are just shaded background. I don't think I've ever put so many stitches into cloth before without having it look like *something*, but here we are.

This is the first page and the start of the second page of Vanitas Still Life by the artist Pieter Claesz.
If you go here: http://www.scarletquince.com/scale.php?pat=CLA002" target="_blank
and where it says "No Grid" click to open the drop-down menu and then select "Show regular print pages" you'll see that I have pages of shaded background still to go.

One thing I'm not sure I noticed before is that the camera really doesn't blend. When I stand back and look at the project with my eyes, those tweeds blend, but in the picture, some of those blends still look tweedy -- at least in this close-up shot they do. Maybe when I get more done and the image isn't as close-up, it'll smooth out those tweeds a bit.

Anyway, it took me a month to get this much done. Some days I work on it like mad and then I'll go for a day or two without getting to stitch at all. I guess I'll be at this for a while, huh. :)
Last edited by Allyn on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:02 am, edited 20 times in total.

WIP
Oriettait

Re: Vanitas Still Life - 18Feb

Post by Oriettait »

Very interesting picture! you have made a good start at it :applesauce: :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

What an interesting project! Right up my street too :) You're made a great start even if it is only background so far!
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

OMG, I just :wub: :wub: this pattern!! Even though it's just background so far, you're making good progress and it will be worth it in the end, this is so cool! Background is something to see, it's great progress! :applesauce: :applesauce:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: Lovely progress on the background. :applesauce: I'm glad you didn't wait to post a pic. I have also noticed that sometimes backgrounds look better in real life than in a photo. Must have something to do with the lighting. Once you get into stitching the main piece, the background won't matter as much. Looking forward to your updates on this!

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

That's quite a bit! Wonderful work!!! I have to admire your commitment to something that requires a lot of work to still be "nothing". All that hard work will look amazing when it's completed!
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: I really do like this design--it's just so different, but yet, so meaningful! Fantastic start on it!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

works4me

Post by works4me »

Great start on a really interesting design. I'm glad you posted your progress.

I notice that the camera picks up a lot more detail than I can see. Not always a good thing for me. :lol:
HAED Mind if I Hang Out -Page 17/36 finished. ?/154,350 stitches
Hang In There - finished, waiting for a decision on framing or turning into a mini quilt
Universal Monsters - finished, waiting in line to frame
carladee

Post by carladee »

what a cool design, looking forward to seeing more of this one :)
*~Carla~*

my blog
my Etsy shop

Currently Stitching - HAED - Hmpf!, Mario Sampler, Chatelaine - Deep Blue Sea, Song of the Weather SAL, Woodland Sampler SAL, L&L - Angel of Summer, Summer Tree of Stitches
annamarie23

Post by annamarie23 »

Looking great! You've done so well. Wonderful work and a very interesting project. I've seen this picture on the Scarlet Quince site before so it's good to see it being stitched. Looking forward to more updates. :applesauce: :applesauce:
Anna-Marie x

WIP - CSC 'Calligraphy', Janlynn 'Egyptian Pair', Ink Circles 'Woodland Vines'.
Waiting in the wings - Music and violin- Skitzzzzz, SQ 'Midsummer Eve', HAED Mini Camelot plus lots of others.
fccs

Post by fccs »

While not my personal taste, I'm so looking forward to more updates on this. I think the design is unique and will be absolutely striking! It's got to be hard when there's so much background to start you off...well done!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
guenever

Post by guenever »

wow! what a challenge to do all those dark colors! you have done beautifully so far! :applesauce: i can't imagine taking on such a complex project. i will leave the others to answer perspective questions since i am a novice--but it looks very good so far--very textured.
Linnea

God Bless!

"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."

Visit my site http://www.freewebs.com/guenever/

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I love this piece and am really pleased you posted your progress so far. I look forward to seeing it grow.
Myst..
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

You had made really good progress. I am glad you didn't wait to show us because posting on here will help to keep you motivated (it does me!). I love the picture you have chosen too :applesauce: :applesauce:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

It looks great and showing us your work is great regardless if you can "see" anything. I see a ton of work and great stitching! Keep up the great work!
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I like that, querky. Must be boring doing all that monochromatic background though. Can't wait to see more.
Linda
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Great start on a really interesting piece....can't wait to see more of it :applesauce: :applesauce:
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
cairee

Post by cairee »

oh I love this one!
fantastic start! Ill be watching this one waiting for the picture to truely start to take shape.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Allyn

Re: Vanitas Still Life - 21March Update

Post by Allyn »

I don't have a whole second page done yet, but I needed to post my progress (You know how it is.)

So here is almost the second page of NOTHING. :) Still shaded background.

I've already decided that the next project is going to have something -- anything -- in that upper left corner.

WIP
rcperryls

Re: Vanitas Still Life - 21March Update

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Congrats on almost having the second page completed! Looks good. I know how you feel about that upper left corner. Looks great when the piece is finished but can feel like it takes forever to stitch, especially when you are itching to stitch "the main attraction", which is why you chose that piece in the first place!

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker