Luis Royo's 'Uranos Drops'. Finished 13 Oct 2014

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

rcperryls

Re: Luis Royo's 'Uranos Drops' Update 14 Jul 2014

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Great update! And I am very interested in your comments about parking. I've tried it a few times but got in a complete :tizzy: when I had more than 5 or 6 threads dangling (actually stuck in the fabric with their needles). I think it would be great with confetti heavy sections, but that can be 20 colors in 10 x 10 area. Hadn't thought about mixing parking and cross country for some reason.
I think the tattoo is fantastic!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Carole,

I have obviously never come across 'Heavy' confetti. I thought I had with 14 colours in a 10 x 10 square, but 20!?! Yikes. That sounds absolutely horrendous.
I have mixed Parking and Cross Country mostly because I wanted to get the Parking method straight in my head before I started it. However, I was also anxious to start the picture. So, really I suppose, I started too early.

So far, I have the needles sticking in the fabric as far away from the area I'm working on as possible. The front photo shows 13 threads, but a few are doubles of the same colour, so I suppose I have 10 colours on a 20 stitch frontage as I'm working my way down. I like Allyn's method of attaching them to magnetic strips - but have yet to source any of the right strength to keep the loose threads tight.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Richard I source my magnets for my needle minders from these people, they are very strong so their strip magnets if they do them should be good as well.

I'd assume you'd put one underneath like the needle minders?

http://www.guysmagnets.com" target="_blank

You are doing a fine job, and I'm watching the parking experiment as I'm a dedicated cross countryer, but never say never.....

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

You are doing a GREAT job!!!
richardandtracy

Niki,

Thanks for that link. I'll look them up.

Regards,

Richard
richardandtracy

I got cold feet about the e-mail I received giving permission to stitch to the picture, and put it through Google Translate - which seems to be pretty good on Spanish to English translation even when going from English to Spanish & back.

Oh dear. The e-mail was utter drivel. Seemed to be machine generated garbage. Not good, as it seems I'd been suckered by an official looking unofficial Luis Royo facebook page. :tantrum:
So I then had to search my conscience and ask whether I wanted to continue without permission or not. In all fairness to the crossstitchforum unless I had real permission, I couldn't continue posting progress photos.
Anyway, yesterday in a bit of a tizzy I found the official Luis & Romulo Royo website, and pinged the e-mail address shown there. And got proper permission this afternoon. :whoop:

That was a salutary lesson on checking, double checking & triple checking sources.

Regards,

Richard.
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

richardandtracy wrote:Carole,

I have obviously never come across 'Heavy' confetti. I thought I had with 14 colours in a 10 x 10 square, but 20!?! Yikes. That sounds absolutely horrendous.
20? Pfft.. That's childsplay. The HAED I am working on had an area that had 40 colors per 10x10 square in one area. I had times I wanted to throw the dang thing across the room. :tizzy: And with that many colors, especially since I was working in more than one 10x10 square at a time, there's no way I could leave needles attached to each thread. On the upside, I got really good at threading needles quickly! There's photos of my stitching with the mass of threads hanging in my Kimono Lantern Mermaid thread if you want to see.

Your piece is coming along beautifully though! I'm really enjoying watching the progress. As for when to switch between cross country and parking - for me it depends mostly on the fabric I'm stitching on. The main reason I park is that once you get to a certain count of fabric, it gets hard to fit stitches into gaps neatly.. stitching in rows so the bottom of the stitch always begins in a 'clean' hole becomes preferable so that threads don't get split. So on 16 count aida I don't need to park as the holes in the fabric are large enough to not be an issue, but on 25 count evenweave I do, even if it's just 2 colors. Granted, even on 16 count aida, I prefer to stitch a solid chunk at a time, rather than completely cross countrying it, so I'll stitch a color within an area, leaving the gaps for other colors as needed, and then park the remainder of the floss in the next 'area' and mark that on my pattern as a parked thread. I do this because it minimizes errors to work a solid chunk at a time rather than scattering lots of stitches all over the place - if once stitch goes wrong, everything after that is wrong and I may not realize until much much later. The one key thing for me is to mark a parked thread - that's almost more important than marking a completed stitch since I'm leaving several threads of similar shades dangling next to each other. This way I know that if I come to a parked thread in my stitching and it's not marked in my chart, or if the chart says I should have a parked thread and I don't, that something's gone wrong and I can backtrack and find my error. It prevents any confusion by accidently stitching in the wrong color for a symbol because I parked a thread in the wrong spot and had no way of knowing that isn't what it was supposed to be.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
poppy

Post by poppy »

Well done in getting permission to stitch her. Your stitches are so neat and you did get the hang of parking quickly. I haven't tried this method yet.
As I am also stitching on evenweave for the first time, I found that a good source of natural light is essential and putting a dark cloth on my lap helps in seeing the holes more clearly.
Looking forward to seeing the updates! :)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
richardandtracy

NeedleAndFork wrote: 20? Pfft.. That's childsplay. The HAED I am working on had an area that had 40 colors per 10x10 square in one area. I had times I wanted to throw the dang thing across the room. :tizzy:
Uh. [tries to get breath back]
Uh. 40!!
That's unbelievable. By any rights, it should be utterly unworkable. I'm not the slightest bit surprised you wanted to throw it across the room at times!
I came here to learn, and almost every day I'm here I find just how much more I have to learn. I now know enough to have an idea of how much I don't know. I know that sounds absurd, but when you are totally ignorant, you have no grasp at all of how much there is to know. I sort of feel I'm beginning to get an idea.

NeedleAndFork wrote: There's photos of my stitching with the mass of threads hanging in my Kimono Lantern Mermaid thread if you want to see.
The Kimono Lantern thread was one of the first SAL threads I looked at when I was looking as a guest before joining, and it was one of the threads that convinced me that 'Here is a bunch of people who know what they're doing, AND who seem willing to share their knowledge.'. I didn't get the same feel from a number of other forums (fora?) - they appeared all to be regurgitating the same sort of twee stuff found in many of the more baby/cutesy oriented cross stitch magazines and the level didn't seem to be any more taxing than I was already doing.
NeedleAndFork wrote: ... The one key thing for me is to mark a parked thread - that's almost more important than marking a completed stitch since I'm leaving several threads of similar shades dangling next to each other. This way I know that if I come to a parked thread in my stitching and it's not marked in my chart, or if the chart says I should have a parked thread and I don't, that something's gone wrong and I can backtrack and find my error. It prevents any confusion by accidently stitching in the wrong color for a symbol because I parked a thread in the wrong spot and had no way of knowing that isn't what it was supposed to be.
I am slowly beginning to see how important this is, and will have to find a way of implementing it that suits the way I like to work. I had an initial idea that it might be nice to use a magnet with strips marked on it so the needle can be stuck to an area marked with the chart key number - but it may well be impractical for short threads and 40[!!!] colours in the same 10 x 10 square. I shall try working it through, anyway.

Thanks for your help & suggestions.

Regards,

Richard.
richardandtracy

poppy wrote:...
As I am also stitching on evenweave for the first time, I found that a good source of natural light is essential and putting a dark cloth on my lap helps in seeing the holes more clearly.
I agree. Until using this material, I hadn't realised just how much Aida allows you to get away with, it such a boon for cross stitching. One method I find works, too, is to face a window and have some light from over the shoulder. This allows the needle shadow to be seen when behind the fabric and then when the needle is on the nearside of the fabric, shade the back of the fabric (either with a hand or by swivelling a little to one side of the window) to see the holes from the front. Maybe this only works for me as I'm so short sighted I have to have the work 9" from my nose anyway as opposed to on my lap, and my reading glasses have a minimum in focus distance of about 18", which is too far for this fabric.

I tend to wear dark trousers (have an office job) so my lap is usually dark and it hadn't occurred to me about the dark cloth, but it's a good thought.

I shall keep up the progress reports, but don't want to bore people by doing too many - I have a problem with being unable to shut up sometimes. :wink:

Regards,

Richard.
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

richardandtracy wrote:
I shall keep up the progress reports, but don't want to bore people by doing too many - I have a problem with being unable to shut up sometimes. :wink:
I can't speak for others but I'm enjoying the progress reports and discussion that ensues. And I'm snarky enough to say that if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to read the thread ;) What makes this place a real community is that we don't just post pictures and fawn over each other (though that never hurts!) but we also actually discuss things and learn from each other. Something I learned many years ago on a knitting forum that is now defunct is that there are two kinds of crafters - the kind who make things for the finished product - they're not so interested in the actual process as they are in getting it over with so they have the finished item, and the kind who craft for the love of the craft - they aren't necessarily crafting for the finished product (thats a bonus) but for the love of creating and the craft. These are the process knitters, stitchers, creators, and most often, they are the ones who picked up a craft well before it was trendy to do and will continue to do it well after the trend dies down. They're the ones who are passionate about their craft, about learning new techniques and discussing those techniques with others who're likeminded and are the ones who're likely to carry the craft forward to the next generation discovers it and gets interested in it. I've seen this in every craft that I am interested in - knitting, dyeing, needlework, and spinning, and I think it important that we as crafters continue to discuss and learn from each other - this is how a craft like this continues to live on, rather than die out once a trend fades. I can promise you there's people out there reading who may not have registered for the forum yet, who may not even be passionate stitchers yet, but who're interested.. and posts where we talk about methods and techniques are what will get them to realize there is more to cross stitch than making pictures with thread - that it is a real skill and artform that deserves their attention.

Psst.. you lurkers.. come join us.. we have cookies! :dance:

richardandtracy

Another little update.
Working towards the bottom of sheet 3 of the plan - have 10 rows to go.
I am coming to the conclusion that parking is a bit quicker for confetti, even though the concentration levels have to be MUCH higher.

Regards,

Richard
Last edited by richardandtracy on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

richardandtracy wrote:I am coming to the conclusion that parking is a bit quicker for confetti, even though the concentration levels have to be MUCH higher.
She's coming along wonderfully. :) That high concentration level may relax a bit as you get more practice. I found that my brain didn't have to engage as much and my fingers started just doing it after I got the hang of it. When I first started, it was eyes>brain>fingers. By the time I got to the end of the first page of a full coverage, it was eyes>fingers.

WIP
rcperryls

Re: Luis Royo's 'Uranos Drops' Update 21 Jul 2014

Post by rcperryls »

Beautiful update!!! This is going to be so gorgeous!
And a great discussion also.
NeedleAndFork wrote:Psst.. you lurkers.. come join us.. we have cookies! :dance:
I agree!! We have plenty of room (never gets too crowded) and its lots more fun inside!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

Great looking update and you are stitching along well being that this is your first time on linen. Keep up the great stitching!
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

She's looking great! Can I request a picture from what would be a more 'normal' viewing distance? Just far enough away that individual stitches disappear and we see the image as a whole? I always have to remind myself to do that with my own work from time to time - take a few steps back so to speak and see it from a distance so that my brain stops seeing individual stitches.

As for the amount of concentration parking takes, I'll second what Allyn said. When I first started it took every ounce of concentration I had to keep track of what I was doing and I found even TV in the back ground distracting. But once I'd figured it out and worked out my system, which included how to mark my pattern for both completed stitches and parked stitches, it became a lot easier. At that point I could practically turn off my brain and just get into the zone and stitch. That's when I started listening to audiobooks while stitching. Though if I find something off in my stitching to where I have to think and figure out what happened, the first thing I do is hit pause on the audio book. It seems I can't think and listen at the same time.

imogenX

Post by imogenX »

NeedleAndFork wrote:Though if I find something off in my stitching to where I have to think and figure out what happened, the first thing I do is hit pause on the audio book. It seems I can't think and listen at the same time.
:lol: me too. Or I find my mind so absorbed in the stitching that I have to re-listen to the last 5 minutes of audiobook. :lol:

Your design is beautiful! What program did you use to chart it?

Congrats on moving to evenweave! Linen is tough, but I think once you see the finished product (without the huge Aida holes in the background), you'll be really proud. I do a mix of cross-country and parking, too - and it's always fun to hear about the process!
-Imogen

Current WIPs
HAED SK Some Enchanted Evening
Stitchonomy Winter SAL
Animal Alphabet SAL (Anna Gutova for Artmishka)
Modern Folk Embroidery SAL 2021
Wonders of the Solar System SAL (Climbing Goat Designs)
Gnomes (Designs by Gloria & Pat)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Very interesting piece that you are working on!!!!! Wonderful progress!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
fccs

Post by fccs »

Great update! Please keep them coming, including your narratives.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: very nice!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs