Luis Royo's 'Uranos Drops'. Finished 13 Oct 2014

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

richardandtracy

Re: Luis Royo's 'Uranos Drops'. Finished 13 Oct 2014

Post by richardandtracy »

Had a bit of time this morning, after being awakened rather early, to do the stitches and added them. Thank you very much cats. I really needed to be woken up, and then thank you so much for the help when you had a disagreement about who was sitting on my lap, sinking those claws in my legs instead of each other... Anyway, I think the suggestion was right, it looks a little better with the added stitches.

I think I now have my 2016 project lined up, another Luis Royo image. This is the chart image at 1 pixel = 1 stitch, 111 colours, and includes dithering from my chart creation program:

Regards,

Richard.
Last edited by richardandtracy on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Well done on a brilliant finish!!

I agree tant she's better with the added backstitch, that's what I was thinking when I was reading through it so I'm very glad that you did it.

Look forward to the next project!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

Great finish. Well done. :applesauce:
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Stunning project from start to finish! Congratulations on stitching such a beautiful design!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Very awesome finish!! Congrats!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Just beautiful!
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

I really like the effect of the added backstitch, so I guess I"ll have to send those treats to your cats now. 8) They sound like they're in league with mine who managed to wake me up at 5am trying to get into the room he's not allowed into...

Your new project is gorgeous as well, and I look forward to watching it come alive.
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Fantastic finish! You must be very proud :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
richardandtracy

Thank you all.
My main concern at the moment is the cost of framing. We have a really good bloke in a nearby craft centre, but his prices are gulpworthy. Last year he charged £92 for a picture about the same size as this one. It does look amazing though. My other alternative is a glass shop that do a reasonable job for a reasonable price, it's just that the frame materials they have are limited and the results are not amazing.

I'll have to save up a bit for the better job I think.

Regards,

Richard.
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

To my shame I have just read all the way through this post for the first time. I think the picture and your design and stitching of it are fantastic. I'm just sorry I have only just seen it.
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
richardandtracy

Thank you Lizzieh. I do like the picture too. As a way of learning stuff, it was also a great exercise and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It worked as a great stepping stone and confidence builder for my next project - the Honeymoon Portrait (http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=26356). Having said that, I couldn't cope with parking on the next one, the number of colours were just too high - 35 in the first 385 stitches alone.

Regards,

Richard
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

richardandtracy wrote: Having said that, I couldn't cope with parking on the next one, the number of colours were just too high - 35 in the first 385 stitches alone.

Regards,

Richard
I'm fascinated by the fact that you say you cant park because there's too many colors. I can't imagine stitching something with that many colors without parking! The more colors there are within a 10x10 area, the more crucial parking becomes to me!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
richardandtracy

It was keeping track of so many similar colours that was completely doing my head in, there were almost no instances of the same colour being used twice in a row. Basically, I just couldn't cope. Having got quite a few stitches in the wrong place, I decided to try with one colour at a time and everything settled down again, and I started to make progress rather than spend all my time finding the right thread, where to park it etc.

Regards,

Richard.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

richardandtracy wrote: ..., and I started to make progress rather than spend all my time finding the right thread, where to park it etc.

I'm with NeedleandFork. The more colors, the more essential parking is to me. I know that what works for some may not work for others; I get that, but I don't undersand what you said here. Why are you hunting for the right thread? It should be in the hole you marked as 'parked' on your chart. When you cross-country stitch, you have to find the next stitch of that color, yes? So instead of putting that stitch in, you park the thread there and mark it as 'parked' on your chart.

I use three colored highlighters to mark my chart: a yellow one to highlight the finished stitches, an orange one to put a little dot of orange in the corner of the block where I parked the thread, and a green one to obliterate the orange dot if I change my mind about the park location. If you're trying to mark your chart with a single color, you're handicapping yourself. Sections of the chart I'm doing now have upwards of 40 colors in a 10x10 block, and as I stitch those sections, I think to myself, "Thank goodness I'm parking and not cross-country stitching this."

WIP
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Allyn wrote:
richardandtracy wrote: ..., and I started to make progress rather than spend all my time finding the right thread, where to park it etc.

I'm with NeedleandFork. The more colors, the more essential parking is to me. I know that what works for some may not work for others; I get that, but I don't undersand what you said here. Why are you hunting for the right thread? It should be in the hole you marked as 'parked' on your chart. When you cross-country stitch, you have to find the next stitch of that color, yes? So instead of putting that stitch in, you park the thread there and mark it as 'parked' on your chart.

I use three colored highlighters to mark my chart: a yellow one to highlight the finished stitches, an orange one to put a little dot of orange in the corner of the block where I parked the thread, and a green one to obliterate the orange dot if I change my mind about the park location. If you're trying to mark your chart with a single color, you're handicapping yourself. Sections of the chart I'm doing now have upwards of 40 colors in a 10x10 block, and as I stitch those sections, I think to myself, "Thank goodness I'm parking and not cross-country stitching this."
I work similarly to Allyn but with 2 colors not 3. I also work on my HAED style charts off the laptop so I can zoom in - on my 17" screen I usually have just 2 10x10 blocks visible with a few surrounding stitches. By doing it on the computer I don't have to worry about the caps on highlighters and if I accidently mark the wrong thing, I can undo it. I import my charts into photoshop and change my 'brush' to a square the same size as a single stitch and set it to a blending mode that will 'highlight' in my chosen color rather than obliterate the symbol I am marking over. Parked stitches are marked in orange, completed stitches are in a different color for each day of the week. By marking where a stitch is parked I never have to worry about figuring out what is going on - just let those threads dangle and just stitch the next stitch and then park so I'm working stitch by stitch, row by row. My HAED had insane confetti at one point - so much that I stopped counting at 40 colors in a 10x10 grid - the only way I made it through was parking because I couldn't even imagine trying to go back and fill in the gaps for individual stitches when working on 28 count fabric. On a lower count such as 16 or maybe 18 I might consider cross country in areas with fewer colors since filling in gaps on those counts is easier, but confetti heavy areas would get parked. Also another advantage of parking for me is that there is absolutely NO flipping of the work. I can start and end from the front because I will be working in a solid area so that the starts and finishes will get stitched over very soon after. I also find my back works out to be MUCH neater when I park and start/end from the front. Not that I make a consious effort to keep the back neat, but if I can manage it, it is nice.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
richardandtracy

What can I say?
Parking was OK for me on this project, and I think it helped lots. It was far from OK on the 'Honeymoon Portrait', and I don't really know why. Possibly the overwhelming number of colours, possibly the fact I don't mark the chart and keep it in a clear plastic wallet so it doesn't get marked. Or it may have been a lack of concentration. Or maybe mentally I'm a blob of silly putty, and can be temporarily pushed into another shape before slowly returning to the original. I don't know.

However, cross country does seem to be working for me now and the Honeymoon Portrait is progressing at a reasonable pace given the time I have to devote to it.

Regards,

Richard.