I'm Watching You... Finished 24 Nov 2015

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

richardandtracy

I'm Watching You... Finished 24 Nov 2015

Post by richardandtracy »

This is a new project for me, and is a relatively small one. This is the image:
It is a segment of a photograph from a photographer whose work I really rather admire. The original photo is available at this link: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery ... -/2125714/. Aegipan was kind enough to give me permission to stitch this image.

A few details.
It is small at 184 stitches wide and 48 stitches high on 25 count evenweave using 2 over one tent stitch, concentrating on the eyes - simply the most difficult part of a portrait to get right. Aegipan got it right, now the stitching has to emulate it. This is intended as a test piece to assess the blending performance of my charting program. There are 103 blends and 15 solid colours, made up from 151 discreet thread colours. For stitching I have the long side vertical, but am normalising the progress shots to match the orientation of the initial image. I started off Parking, and, well, I possibly wasn't very well organised, and after 2 weeks had only 214 stitches done:
Since I abandoned Parking, things have gone rather more quickly, and in the 4 days since I gave up, I've probably added another 300 stitches. The very faint pink rectangle is the full extent of the image:

At the moment I'm just using up the threads that were driving me to distraction while parking. Once those ones are finished, I will start to add more colours.

Hopefully I'm learning as I go along, and the picture will start to come to life.

Regards,

Richard.
Last edited by richardandtracy on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Re: I'm Watching You...

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: What a great photograph and you have made a good start on this. I am sure your charting program will manage the blends just fine. And you will too. I am also one who tried parking and decided it isn't for me. I have a stand that I don't use very much, since (not to say that cats rule in my house) but it makes it difficult for Miss Laverne to sit on my lap and assist in the stitching, so it is in a corner waiting for me to figure out a way to do it. Definitely makes two handed stitching a lot easier.

Looking forward to more of your updates.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

I sometimes park and sometimes (usually) do not - I say do what works best for you. This is going to be a lot of fun to watch...I'm watching I'm watching you...
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I love this design, you did a great job! So looking forward to seeing it stitched up. You have made an excellent start :applesauce: :applesauce:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'm happy to see that you found a brave soul to stitch up a blended threads pattern from your software. My hesitation to use any pattern that I've generated with charting software is committing to a years long project without knowing if I would like the result.

My previous project was a large Dimensions Gold kit with a fair number of colors (for a kit) and some blending. I did cross-country stitching and noted its short comings and advantages. Now that I'm on a HAED pattern I'm trying parking to combat the confetti, but that has its own set of disadvantages, not the least of which is having a nearly solid row of parked threads in the row immediately below the row I am stitching which makes it hard to see what I'm doing. Hopefully I'll have it sorted out in the next few years.
-Steve

AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

You've got a nice start going on those beautiful and mysterious eyes. I can't wait to watch this one. Count me in as one of those people for whom parking just took way too much time for me. I amazed at those who can do it, but I just couldn't get it to work for me.

Looking forward to more updates.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

:applesauce: Oh Goody! :applesauce: I've been looking forward to this one ever since you first mentioned it ages ago. :whoop:

WIP
richardandtracy

rcperryls wrote:.. I am sure your charting program will manage the blends just fine. ...
Thanks Carole, I am fairly sure it will do the job, but there is nothing quite like proving it. And it's better to prove it before someone else commits to using the program, if possible.

The blends have all been generated automatically from the thread definition file, with a check based on closeness of hue, brightness and saturation. In many cases the blend threads are very, very similar, but on a couple they are less so, even though they seem to blend at viewing distances greater than 5". Basically, I want actual proof it's working rather than intellectual 'knowing' that it will. I did, after all, programme in the hue, saturation & brightness calculation based on a Wikipedia article, and my programming or the article could be wrong.

Regards,

Richard
Last edited by richardandtracy on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardandtracy

SteveM wrote:I'm happy to see that you found a brave soul to stitch up a blended threads pattern from your software. My hesitation to use any pattern that I've generated with charting software is committing to a years long project without knowing if I would like the result.
Yep, the mug I found was... Me.

The idea with this is to prove to my satisfaction that WYSIWYG applies to the blends as well as the solid colours using the DMC range of colours. My last project proved it for solid colours, now blended colours are on the list.

If I can prove WYSIWYG, then so long as you like the converted image, the result (being the same) will also be something you like. Provided you don't get bored with it in the mean time... :wink:

Regards,

Richard.
richardandtracy

Allyn wrote::applesauce: Oh Goody! :applesauce: I've been looking forward to this one ever since you first mentioned it ages ago. :whoop:
[shakes head & wanders off muttering 'Mad, all completely mad...'] :lol:

Regards,

Richard.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

"here's lookin' at you" Richard!! :lol:

Not my style of design...I'm not keen on eyes looking at me (or pictures of hands either) but I know you'll make a fantastic job of it. :D
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I've been looking forward to this one - such a striking design! I like the section you decided on from the total photograph, very effective!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Ditto what Allyn said. Beautiful eyes - even tho I would not like it on the back of my bathroom door am looking forward to seeing this one worked. Lovely colours
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

I'm interested to see this one grow.

The pattern I was trying to make was eyes. My problem was, from a distance it looked good, but up close, not so much. And a book mark is "up close".
richardandtracy

At 25ct this one is pretty much bookmark size - 7.36" x 1.92"/187 x 49mm. It will be interesting to see how far away it needs to be before the picture emerges. I suspect that, if the blends work OK it'll be around 6", which even for someone as short sighted as I am, will be close enough.

Regards,

Richard
Carole

Post by Carole »

That's a striking image so I can't wait to see how it comes out.

I can't do the one square at a time plus parking so I do a combination of cross-country and parking. I find that works best for me.
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Now where did I leave the magic bench... :thinks: :thinks:
richardandtracy

After a lot of pen (moderately unsuccessful) prototype pen making in the last 2 weeks I haven't got on too far with this picture, as a result the update is far from exciting. The original image:
And the progress:

The first indications are that the blends seem to be working, though without the completed picture to see, it's not possible to be definitive. I think there are maybe 3 threads that are solid colours so far, and all the rest are blends. All in all, it seems to be working out quite nicely, the colour graduations seem to be nice & smooth etc. and the blends at the range of the photograph seem to be working reasonably well. Now that I have reverted to cross country stitching my thread management time has dropped to almost nothing and stitching is up to a reasonable speed.

Regards,

Richard.
Last edited by richardandtracy on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

The colour changes do look very smooth, great work! (am waiting with bated breath for the blue) (just realised that the blue eyes probably contain purple and magenta and green to make them work :-))
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

There are shades of magenta, two or three stitches in each eye is green, and there are a number of violet stitches too. You have an eye for it. (Not entirely surprising given how frequently your designs are published - other people have recognised your unusual ability too).

Regards,

Richard.