Serinde lives up to her name update 7August17

Re: Serinde lives up to her name update 7August17

by poppy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:46 pm

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: I am following your progress with interest :D
Hélène x

WIP : DMC Swallow Wedding

by karen4bells » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Squirrel wrote: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: An amazing piece of art in the making. I envy you your patience Serinde.

I absolutely agree!!! Simply amazing!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

by Serinde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:31 am

mysterystitcher wrote:That is awesome! And I think I know that tabby weaving. That is what one does with single color. You just throw the shuttle in, pull it out and hit with that big item. And then you push the shuttle from the other end, pull it out from the other and hit again. I know it sounds odd, but anyone who has done weaving knows what I am talking about.

Yes, basically. In the case of a peg loom, it's more round and round and round and round and back around.... Scooching it down with your fingers and counting passes. Very, very quick. Of course, you can do anything on a peg loom that you can do on a tapestry loom set up, it's just you can't get a very fine fabric at the end. My smallest peg is 6mm, so the weft bundle has to be about that thickness. Super chunky yarn does the trick for something like a pram blanket. And it seems that the cheaper the yarn (and easier to wash for new parents), the more jolly the colours. Win! :dance:

by Mabel Figworthy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:01 pm

I'm not a weaver myself, and have only ever seen it done on a loom, so I'm a bit mystified with how it works on pegs :thinks: :thinks:
On a loom, half the threads (in the case of simple one-over-one-under weaving) are lifted at any one time to allow the shuttle to go through, is that right? How would that work on the peg loom - do you just manually manipulate the thread through while all the weft threads are at the same level? (In other words, does your hand go up and down and up and down as it passes through?)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
embroidered appliqué, Tree of Life leaf projects
Designing
Various goldwork projects, Tree of Life

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's Fancies Facebook page

by Serinde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Mabel, what you are describing is called a shed. Weaving on a loom for fabric has things called heddles (sometimes lots of them) that you manipulate in various ways to create the design. The weft is loaded onto shuttles and these "boats" are sent back and forth across the warp threads, making the design. Looms like this also have beater bars to snug the new thread up to the previously woven piece.

There isn't a shed on a peg loom, and this means there are other interesting constraints. Tapestry weaving generally has a couple of rules to help weavers stay in the correct shed -- to do with different coloured yarns, for example, "meeting and retreating" or being at the opposite ends of the loom at all times. The reason I count passes (one way across the loom and one way back) is to keep an idea of where I am in the process. If you look up at the start of this thread to the piece I did last year, you'll see that I occasionally lost track of my overs and unders using two different colours! Actually, I was trying to run before I could walk. (As you do.) And eccentric weft is very "now" apparently.

What you do on a peg loom is just build up the weaving, from bottom to top, pausing only to move it down the pegs onto the warp. If you are interested, I can't recommend Noreen Crone-Findlay's videos enough. They tend to be long, but very thorough. She does wonderful things with pegs.

by tiffstitch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm

I don't understand anything you wrote in your last post Serinde, but great colours and glad it's going so quickly for you. :applesauce:

Previous