Quilting and cross stitching

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

carolyn61

Quilting and cross stitching

Post by carolyn61 »

As this group is an elite group of multi-talented people I was wondering if anyone has combined quilting with cross stitching? I received a sewing machine for Christmas from my MIL and would like to put something together combining the two. I have never sewed so I googled "quilting" and was amazed at the amount of sites available. Can someone here steer me in a easy to understand direction? I don't want a quilt of solid stitching but something that can incorporate maybe a few pieces into it. Maybe I'm not explaining it right. I have a thought in my head of what I would like. I'm just not good or imaginative to bring it from mental to material. :oops:
Carolyn
Rose

Re: Quilting and cross stitching

Post by Rose »

Well I am right in the middle of two quilts. One for my mother and the other for my daughter.

This is a picture of the quilt for my mom. I am currently still waiting for my oldest sister to finish her last square and mail it to me. We have all worked on this as a gift to mom. She has made us all quilts of our own and put on the squares things that have happened in our lives.

This picture is a close up of the boarder that will go across the top.

The angels will be worked into a quilt for my daughter once I have all 20 done. I have 12 done and if I had the proper waste canvas I would be working on it right now.

Years ago I made a wall hanging of a cross stitch I had done for a friend but I forgot to take a picture of it before it went away.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

That is so beautiful Rose, the work that has gone into it is simply astounding.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I am amazed at this Rose. I would sooo love to be able to do something like that. I can only imagine your Mum's delight at getting such a personal and thoughtful present.
You must show us it as you do more on it and please show us your daughters one as you make it as well.
:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

That's a beautiful piece, Rose, and so special with all of you working on it together -- it's a true heirloom!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

that is so pretty!

i have a sewing machine and would LOVE to learn quilting so i can combine the two..

anyone know of a great beginners quiltig site..i'm also a beginner sewer..oh is that the word? lol..looks wrong..like sewer..waste removal..oh boy i need another cuppa coffee..lol..
pardon me :oops:

so yeah.anyway. i need a good beginners quiltig site..nothing to advanced..but would love to start
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Such a beautiful quilt Rose, u have worked so hard on this and when u sister sends u the square u need to finish please let us see the finshed quilt.

Ur mum will be so happy and overwhelmed by this quilt. Well done :applesauce: :applesauce:
carolyn61

Post by carolyn61 »

Rose, that is so beautiful. That's exactly the kind of thing I pictured. How did you learn to quilt? Was it through a class, or were you taught by your mom? Is it very technical to quilt? Does it take alot of special tools or things? Really, I don't have a clue about such things. But would love to learn. And one more thing, (sorry, this is long-winded, but you have knowledge :D ) is the cost of all the materials very expensive? I imagine you would have to get everything you need all at once, yes? Not like cross stitchng where you can build little by little.
I was so touched when I received the sewing machine but haven't really known what to do with it. I love quilts but no one in my family sews anymore. I need to learn the very basics. I'm thinking of calling my LNS and seeing if they offer quilting classes. Anyway, your work is fantastic, it will be a wonderful heirloom just as Mabel said.
Carolyn
mags

Post by mags »

It is looking wonderful, Rose. Your mum will love it.

I have often thought about quilting but haven't got around to it yet.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
agi

Post by agi »

Rose, you deserve every word of praise! This is a wonderful work!

I am thinking of saving for a sewing machine at the moment, first of all to be able to finish my cross stitch pieces, but I have other vague ideas... :doh: :D
So looking forward to any help.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Absolutely beautiful, Rose - I'm in awe. Your mum will be thrilled to bits.

I got a sewing machine for Christmas too, Carolyn. I haven't used it yet! I've never done any quilting, but you got me thinking now, although I too will have to learn the basics. If you come across any good sites I'd be interested to know.
carolyn61

Post by carolyn61 »

Oh good, it's always nice to know someone else is learning something new along with me. I'll share any good sites I find.
Carolyn
mags

Post by mags »

I bookmarked this site some time ago - haven't used them but they seem to have some lovely fabrics. :D
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
agi

Post by agi »

Sorry, Mags, but which site?
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
mags

Post by mags »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Why do I always forget to put the link :roll:

http://thetabbycat.com/shop/" target="_blank
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

:lol: :lol:
Great site, I have used the Fancy Cat's labels for a pincushion and needlecase. I also used lots of different ones to make an Advent calendar for Eby at Christmas, I found a site on e-bay that sold nine of the squares, a fat quarter, for a very small amount.
carolyn61

Post by carolyn61 »

Mags, I've just taken a peek at the site. Lots and lots of pretty stuff. I'm saving the site, thanks.
I wonder, is quilting as addictive as x-stitching? It looks like the fabric choices alone are endless.
Carolyn
Rose

Post by Rose »

I will try to answer your questions as well as I can. To start with I was taught by my mom years ago. I think the first quilt I did was at the age of 9. Yes they did have sewing machines way back then. :P I did what they now call 9 patch quilting, and also scrap quilting. Basicallyit is just cutting squares to a set sixe usually 3.5X3.5. Then you sew the nine in to bigger squares and you swe thos together in the size that you want them. I will see if I can find the blanket in one of my boxes. It is here some place just a bit frayed and thread bear in areas. I don't really do alot of quilting be cause I get impatient with the cutting. you really have to be very careful and cut all of the squares or triangles to the excact sive and all of them the same or else when you go to sew it together it will be off and the end result is a mess. So I dabble in quilting but I am really a novice. I have a couple friends who are really into it and they help me when I need it. I have also bought some beginner quilting books and us them for referance alot. They actually have a Quilting for Dumbies Book. I don't have that one but a couple that are similar. I don't know of any sites, like I said it is more of a sideline then a true craft. I am just not very good at it.

The tools I use are a rotary cutter, a cutting pad, a ruler with an edge. The ruler has a small lip to hook on the side of a table or the cutting pad so the ruler stays straight as you are cutting the material. That is pretty much it. Oh also a 1/4 foot for your sewing machine. This is a foot that has an angled edge tha you slide the material along so that you are sure that you are sewing a straight line when attaching the pieces together. This is not what I had when I started at age nine. Believe me quilting has improved over the year.

Yes material is very expensive. There are shops all over the place and they are really pricey but you can also go to places like Joanne's or if your Micheal's is big enough they some times carry material, also if your Wal-mart still carries material you can get some really good bargains there.

Yes the material needs to be bought all at once so you can see how the colors go together and you need enough to finish once you have started to cut. I love going to the store and matching the fabrics, to me probably the funest part of quilting. :lol:

Quilting is a big thing once again so there are lots and lots of material but be sure to shop around so you get good prices. Also remember some fabric do not work together. Be careful of stretchy fabric they do not work well in quilting.

Hope this helps everyone.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Rose - thank you so much for the info, so useful. I've copied and pasted it so I have it to hand.

Mags - thank you for the link (don't worry, I send emails without links too!). It looks a lovely site and it's a new one to me.

I've got a birthday coming up, so I've put that 'Quilting for Dummies' on my wish list and keeping my fingers crossed!

Carolyn - I found a site and have signed up to the newsletter which looks interesting. It also has free patterns.
http://www.how-to-quilt.com/newsletter/ ... eb08.shtml" target="_blank
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I'd like to share the quilt that my MIL made for our wedding - the front is all creams and beiges with every square decorated with lace or crochet and buttons, and the back is in shades of green. It's got pride of place in our bedroom and I was so touched that she made this for us!
ImageImage
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page