blanket stitch tips? (updated)

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lovesteph

blanket stitch tips? (updated)

Post by lovesteph »

I am always losing my needles, and decided to stitch up a quick needlebook. My grandma made me one out of scrap fabric when I was young, but I can't find it. :(

My sewing skills are... not great, but I wanted to do something a little different besides just cross stitch. This was my first time doing backstitch (for the text, very happy with that) and blanket stitch (not so thrilled).

I don't know if I'm just being a perfectionist, but the stitches look too loose and "loopy". Some are just wrong. Does anyone have any tips on getting a tighter, more even looking blanket stitch?

Thank you :D

Steph
Last edited by lovesteph on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeedleAndFork

Re: blanket stitch tips?

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I am far from an expert on blanket stitch, so take my opinion with a grain of salt if you wish, but just looking at it, my first thought was that maybe you're using too many strands of floss? The more strands you use the thicker and less .. flexible? (not quite the right word but I can't think of what is) it becomes. So your stitching loses a bit of definition. If you use fewer strands you might bet sharper 'bends' in the floss helping to eliminate the loopy look. That said, I think the loopy look does have a charm of its own and I quite like it.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

First, I'll say that this is really cute. :) I like it.

It's been a awhile since I did anything with a blanket stitch, but I agree with that the stitches look loose. Try NeedleAndFork's suggestion of using fewer threads. That may get your stitches 'tighter.' I don't know how stiff that pink fabric is. If you try to make the stitches tighter, will the fabric fold and bunch up? I'm wondering if that's as tight as you can make the stitches while keeping the fabric laying flat. The options would be to stiffen the fabric (put fusible interfacing on the back to make it stiffer or starch it until it's stiff) and/or make the stitches smaller. If the stitches are half as long and half as wide, you might be able to get them tighter without folding/bunching the fabric.

WIP
lovesteph

Post by lovesteph »

Thanks for the replies! The fabric is fairly lightweight, but still has a bit of stiffness - it didn't bunch, but I was afraid of pulling the stitches too tight because they would go "under" the applique where I wanted it to provide a clean border, and as a result I think I left them too loose?

I'm so impatient, I really should have practiced a bit instead of jumping right into it on a project - I will definitely play around with fusable fabric aand using less strands. The tutorials I was looking at all suggested 6, but I think they were also using heavier fabrics.
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I am wondering if they look loose because of how they are spaced?
I've not used a blanket stitch on an applique, just edges of Hardanger. I've done it so the stitches fit next to each other, almost as a satin stitch. I've not used this style before.
Athalie

Post by Athalie »

The stitch you use around Hardanger is actually the buttonhole stitch we used when buttonholes were hand made. Blanket stitch is the example shown here and I think the problem is more tension than anything else.
lovesteph

Post by lovesteph »

I've been working on the laat two cross stitch squares on the back, and I think I'm going to rip the heart out and try again, taking into account spacing, # of threads (maybe 4?)and tension. Will update with pictures :)
evelyn joan

Post by evelyn joan »

I would agree with NeedleandFork,I'm sure the Blanket stitch would lie more neatly if less thread is used. It's a nice wee needlecase though. :)

Joan
agi

Post by agi »

I would also try doing it with perle thread instead, that might give better results. That's what I use for my felt sewing and it looks good. :) Apart from looking a bit lose, I think your stitches are nice and evenly spaced.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

lovesteph wrote:I've been working on the laat two cross stitch squares on the back, and I think I'm going to rip the heart out and try again, taking into account spacing, # of threads (maybe 4?)and tension. Will update with pictures :)
Try it out on a piece of scrap - I think 2 strands and teeny tiny blanket stitches might look really nice - the 2 strands would be thin enough to get a nice crisp 'bend' where the stitches intersect. And of course, the fewer strands you use the smaller the stitch to make it look to scale. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out in the end!

lovesteph

Post by lovesteph »

I redid the applique and am much happier with the results. I don't like how untidy it is where I started/ended, but I have cleaned it up a bit since taking this picture. let me know what you think :D
Athalie

Re: blanket stitch tips? (updated)

Post by Athalie »

It was well worth redoing it, you've done a great job and I love the finished needlebook.
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

That looks great!!!

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

:whoop: It looks great! :)

WIP